What's for Dinner #38 - the Spooky Oct '18 Edition

I did put half the charge for my new car on my Amex card in January 2016! but never that much…I hope they get some frequent flier miles out of it…but then again , what were the charges for clearing it to your company? Usually 1 to 2 %…@ 2% it is almost 5 grand in service fees…

2 Likes

My sister just mentioned making a wrapped brie and it reminded me of this thread. Her method is to score the brie skin in a cross pattern before wrapping in dough and buying triple cream brie for its melting qualities. The brie is chilled before wrapping and again for 20 mins once wrapped before baking.

2 Likes

More Chinatown produce. Snowpea leaf salad with sautéed fresh shiitakes and an egg on top because I was out of ideas. Those fresh shiitakes are ridiculous…

11 Likes

Crab cake :heart_eyes:

Yeah right?! This was at HK, though I usually prefer NY Mart (which has a new name?)

They were next to the normal packages of 2/3 giant ones - baby size for trumpets, which is hat attracted me.

Meal started with a dessert again! (Actually the dessert was a late tea at around 7pm) I made the Belgian chocolate Merveilleux, a meringue and whipped cream cake.

More details and the recipe here:

A late, late, late LATE dinner of 10 pm, chicken tajine with red onion, olives, lemon confit, saffron, turmeric, ginger, parsley, coriander, lemon juice, garlic…

Don’t know why, the app I used to photograph didn’t save the first pictures I made. (Happened several times.) The leftover of the meal.

Cherry beer!

12 Likes

snow pea leaf is one of our favorite
It is very pricey in our area, seldom seen except at Asian superstore
can range from $4.99 to $6.99
Just very simple recipe, saute in EVOO with garlic for just a few minutes, add soy sauce, cider vinegar, some crushed red pepper. Then, perhaps a drop of sesame oil after.

1 Like

WIth a corporate credit card, they probably get $ off by paying it off. Our Plum Amex gives us that - a credit back on the next bill.

And because the client is new, and they were paying their FULL balance prior to its due date, the Controller said to not charge them the 1% we usually do (not sure what we get charged by our clearing house - I want to say 2-1/2%?).

Way way WAY later than mine! LOL

Gilda inspected and good on the road for another year. :ballot_box_with_check:
Shopping for Mom. :ballot_box_with_check:
Driving in rain. :rage:
Shopping at Wegmans. :hugs:
Vacuuming. :roll_eyes:
Dealing with work issues. :roll_eyes::rage:
Making dinner. :grinning:
Eating dinner. :yum:

Caramelized onion meat loaf, sour cream mashed potatoes and peas. The gravy was leftover Guinness Beef Stew gravy that I thinned out with some chicken stock.

Yep. There was wine. I restocked at Wegmans, after all. :wink:

14 Likes

I love that meatloaf is trending. Perfect fall food!

3 Likes

It was 46° most of today, gray, cloudy and rainy. Tonight we could get our first frost north of Boston. So it’s DEFINITELY meat loaf weather! :smiley:

1 Like

That gravy looks scrumptious, and I’m not much of a gravy fan!

2 Likes

I’ll certainly look for them on my next visit- don’t recall seeing them before. I used to go to new york mart or whatever they call themselves more often but when it’s really busy it’s really stressful!

Stir-fried tofu with nuoc chom for the grown ups. The kids got rice, too. Grapes for dessert.

5 Likes

I thought this meatloaf parmesan recipe from the NY Times sounded good. Too lazy to make it at the moment, but maybe someone else will!

3 Likes

It was chilly today! I went the route with more hills on my bike ride to warm up but my hands were still cold… surprisingly made it all the way to tribeca and decided some Nish Nush was in order. Ordered the sabich (no egg) and got a packet of these mysterious and tasty falafel crispy things.
Total disaster to try and eat but crazy amazing delicious, there was a ton of silky eggplant, tahini sauce magic, a layer of hummus, pickles, and the israeli salad. A few more pickles are given on the side (obviously after my heart there). Proper fluffy fat pita. I maybe ripped of a chunk before taking the photo in the horrible lighting.
Had about half as a very early dinner, just finished the rest. Not sure about the falafel crispies, they’re really hard but tasty. Going to save the rest as a soup topper. More exploding crazy kombucha a la carte

8 Likes

It’s expensive here in nyc too, and I’ve only ever bought it in Chinatown.

I know you love to bike. Are you aware of this item? It may help when the weather turns even colder.
MY husband had gluten enteropathy, used to have acrocyanosis . His fingers and toes get so cold, they turn blue. We purchased this from Costco and he use it even when weather is not that cold as gloves may not help/ . I think he even place it inside. his socks.
You ca fid this at Amazon too, just a bit more. Hope this will help

HotHands Hand Warmers - Long Lasting Safe Natural Odorless Air Activated Warmers - Up to 10 Hours of Heat - 40 Pair for $28.47

2 Likes

I don’t know if it was a one-off… I’m going nearby today, I’ll try to check if they have them all the time.

1 Like