What's for Dinner #37 - the School's Back! Sept '18 Edition

That looks F…in delish!..Maybe I will make a leg for Monday night , second night of Rosh Hashana…
BTW… Wishes to all who contribute here to a wonderful healthy, prosperous and sweet New Year! La Shana Tova!

7 Likes

A leg of lamb recipe given to me by my late wife’s grandmother…(I guess grandmother-in-law)…who was raised in the UK… was to: Put a wet rub on the lamb of what ever spices and herbs you like. Then insert pieces of whole garlic into the meat with little slits from a paring knife… Then her secret was to take a mix of wild rice and white rice, rinse it off , and place it spread out in the bottom of the pan. The leg was set upon it, and add a cup or two of any kind of broth (chicken or beef) and then popped into the oven to roast. (Additional water is added as needed to the pan for the rice to cook properly)
The magic is that all of the juices and fat are infused into the rice, and is a beautiful accompaniment to the lamb…
The leg is slow roasted at 250 degrees until the internal temp reaches 155 and removed. tented and stands 15 minutes before carving…
Send pictures of the finished meal…sounds super!!!

8 Likes

Wow that description is mouth watering.

1 Like

Boy, it came early this year! But I’m happy to have an excuse for more lamb!

1 Like

Catching up on some things from last month, August was just a non-stop marathon. I had been writing about our last day in Japan wheneve I got time here and there, but I think it got lost somehow.

In any case, here are fried green tomatoes (cornmeal coated), spaghetti with garlic and fresh oregano, and some of my favorite fruit from the farmers market. When fruit looks like a painting, I almost feel sad to eat it.

And my famous key lime pie:

Now, I’m well aware real key lime pie is uncooked and is topped with whipped cream, not meringue. But I can never get it to set without baking and I like meringue better.

17 Likes

La Shana Tova. Happy New Year folks.

Have a big family event every year. Making black eyed peas as part of the Erev Seder meal and a vegetarian kibbeh, kibbeh addis for the first day app.

6 Likes

Chicken and long bean pad ka pow with caulirice. Back to weight management the old fashioned way: semi starvation.

12 Likes

La Shana Tova… to you’all…love that kibbeh!!!

3 Likes

It is GORGEOUS!

2 Likes

An extremely late dinner. Because I wanted to enjoy the beginning of the weekend with some wine after cramming in the usual almost 5 days of invoicing into 2.5 days.

Chicken Paprikash - it’s cool enough for this dinner tonight. On top of egg noodles with steamed green bean alongside.

Oh, there was definitely wine. You can be DAMN sure about that.

A cheesy movie alongside to help wind down.

13 Likes

Turkey meatloaf sandwich with a Corona while enjoying the YTube live feed of Sir Paul and the boys playing at Grand Central Sta.

Dessert is a coconut popsicle.

5 Likes

What goes into kibbeh addis?

1 Like

Early-ish dinner with my neighbor friend in the community garden she belongs to- the weather is thankfully dramatically cooler today. Nice to visit just the two of us before she had to pick up my favorite six year old from his playdate.
I made us fatoosh! The best tomatoes i could find were all red, was hoping for some more colorful ones but those were either bruised or too firm yet. Added in cucumber, red onion, cilantro, capers, a splash of red wine vinegar and olive oil.
Hardly traditional…! I brought cubed smoked tofu separately, which she did like so we added that in too.

10 Likes

Fine bulgur, red lentils and a little onion, spices etc. Like you’d make raw kibbeh but the cooked red lentils replace the meat

2 Likes

Thank you Scubadoo97 for the link to this okra dish!!! I love okra & the Indian preps of this sadly misunderstood veggie!!! Looking forward to trying this soon…

Thanks! Searching for kibbeh addis gave me a long list of Ethiopian links :grin:

Whole brown lentils (ie the full form of red) are used as a meat substitute in indian cooking - but I can see how the red would bind like raw meat.

1 Like

Hello! First time sharing (been lurking for a while, clearly :wink:)

The meatloaf thread got me, so I made an asian-ish turkey meatloaf that also served to clear the veggies in the fridge.

19 Likes

That glaze! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Thanks! I almost skipped it, then I realized I forgot to put some gochujang in the mixture - so it’s gochujang, doenjang, hoisin, and sriracha.

6 Likes

Those beans!

2 Likes