What's for Dinner #37 - the School's Back! Sept '18 Edition

Grilled Bulgogi made into tacos . Rice with tomato and onion . And the star was the cucumber salad . Dressing into thirds and mix . Rice vinegar, white sugar , and water. Wine to drink .:wine_glass: Cheers . Hope everybody had a fabulous weekend.

12 Likes

Somehow my last day in CA always takes me by surprise…
we did our sister bike ride this morning, a fun tradition- maybe 12miles or so today along the coastline towards and into pebble beach. More fog of course, but fantastic views and that salty breeze

My aunt, sister and nephew came over for an early dinner, i made everything for lettuce wraps since we’re an assortment of paleo/picky/and chickenless.
Reisling for me while chopping

Just something cheap from trader joe’s.

After the cucumber chats here i was craving some, these had garlic, rice wine vinegar, mirin, a tiny bit sugar, and soy ; cut into long thin rectangles to add to the wraps

Asian-ish slaw salad was a huge hit; savory cabbage with celery, scallions, chopped peanuts, toasted sesame seeds, a dressing of rice wine vinegar/sesame oil and such. My nephew was helping and added the crunchy noodles on top :smile:

Also made blistered green beans, bean sprouts tossed with soy sauce and sesame oil, some thin slice daikon and bell pepper. Rice didnt make the photo, just white rice with sesame seeds and cilantro mixed in. Dad grilled chicken (not pictured), and i went with sliced baked tofu I bought.

Mom baked the same lemon buttermilk pound cake again today! The rest will go to my sister’s office

Everyone had some cake for dessert, i just had berries. My nephew was enthusiastic about adding whipped cream ontop too

Early morning flight back to nyc… ((sigh))

16 Likes

Sad face on the flight home .

1 Like

YUMMY for the tummies!

LOL - I think I started in September or November of 2001 after checking my posts in the Internet Wayback Machine back to the old old old old version of CH.

1 Like

Cool idea! Will gelatin set with all wine?

everything looks wonderful!

and omg, i used to buy this cheapo Liebfraumilch called Piesporter Michelsberg FOR YEARS! i’m going to look for the Dr. Beckermann.

sorry you have to leave…

1 Like

That rice looks legit!

1 Like

Not sure! I don’t think wine causes issues with gelatin the way things like pineapple do. It set beautifully with half wine - I’ll report back whenever I get around to trying a full wine version.

1 Like

Gorgeous spread! Lots of work chopping… usually dissuades me from lettuce wraps :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Gorgeous! So lucky… wish I didn’t kill all my poor plants :frowning:

1 Like

Wow! Great spread, and stunning pie!

You sometimes mention Uzbek and other unusual (for me) preparation styles - are these from a book, or family/friends, or just interest?

1 Like

I happened to eat meat yesterday. Had to make some quick photos for you otherwise it’d have to wait till next week (only eat a piece of meat once a week), or I might not even feel like doing it later. Yours was probably a tender cut, mine was not. It’s a question of practice. One day you will nail it to your liking. Take note of your experiments and learn.

Pre-seared.

No albumin. Lost the pre-sear colour but still not really grey.

Sliced in half. Notice my crust is super thin? The longer you leave it in the searing hot pan the more cooked it will become. If you look at your photo again you’ll notice the cooked flesh is thicker. The grey part (cooked meat) spreads from the crust towards the centre whereas mine not so much.

I love this cut.

6 Likes

I made vanilla ice cream churned in the electric maker with a strawberry swirl using Sarabeth’s strawberry jam. It has a nice creamy texture and swirls beautifully scooped out of the metal tin.

Dinner is red wine pasta, tossed greens and feta with lemon juice, roasted plums.

I stayed in the A/C watching the supreme court hearings with the sound off and the music on…and cooking my way thru it😉.

6 Likes

That’s very nice of you.

1 Like

Just interest! Sometimes I will try something in a restaurant, read up on the cuisine, and try to recreate it. Good question, though! I love global foods and there isn’t always a restaurant where I can try the real deal, so I often cobble together ideas from blogs, cookbooks, and HO. My family background is Western/Central/Eastern Europe and American hodgepodge.

5 Likes

Love her strawberry-peach, too - snap it up if you see it!

1 Like

I was so surprised to find a large glass jar of it at Costco I bought three figuring its a fluke

1 Like

Cool weather (8 C) and the first day of kindergarten for my munchkin!

I decided to go with some vegan sweet potato and black bean chili for this cool weather! Tasty! Finished up with some brown butter rice krispy treats (not remotely vegan!).

6 Likes

Always amazing food posted here.

Tonight was a hodgepodge of leftovers from this weekend. Have a friend that owns a few Sonny’s BBQ. His stores are a big notch above the rest.

BBQ chicken and mashed sweet potatoes with a quick salad of shredded romain and raw brussels

11 Likes