What's for Dinner #33 - Prom Season Edition - May '18

Smoked short ribs, mashed potatoes and coleslaw

9 Likes

We have long, serious arguments over BraveTart in our home. But one thing I can not debate is that the author has thoroughly tested each recipe herself in a way I haven’t seen done in any cookbook in a long time (outside of bread baking.) If I spend 3 hours, having dirtied 6 bowls, 4 spatulas, 3 whisks, 2 thermometers, a saucepan, stand mixer paddle, etc, and messy counters everywhere, at least I know I’ll have something good by the end. For recipes with hard to find ingredients, I tell my family, find the ingredients for me, and I’ll make it. With this book, they know if they spend 3 evenings tracking down potato flour, they will get good doughnuts. I’ve baked almost a third of the book, and only the muffins I am unsure about.

As for sweetness, so far only the recipes using ready-made ingredients are sometimes too sweet. For example, rice krispie treats. (But we’ve found very low sugar rice krispies to “fix” that specific recipe.)

(Warning: The following is based on my intuition. I can’t prove it.)
To answer your butter question, I would not advise reducing the butter. I eat raw meusli everyday, often without milk. So such a person who’s aquired the taste of raw oats could enjoy the cookies with less fat. But for most people, the fat in the butter will cook the oats to a palatable state while baking. And like folks often advise against reducing sugar due to loss of moisture, remember there is moisture in butter, too. Especially considering there are steel cut oats in this recipe, I would be extra careful to make modifications. I’m very interested to make these myself because I’ve never successfully baked cookies with steel cut oats before.

4 Likes

A photo of a taste-portion of a soup I made the other night, using this recipe:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/recipes/peruvian-chicken-soup/16384/?utm_term=.94f7186e8d56

When serving, I placed shredded rotisserie chicken in the bowl before adding the soup. I enjoyed it without the meat.

I highly recommend this dish.

8 Likes

That looks incredible - I love short ribs, and I would imagine they are fantastic smoked!

1 Like

Large fresh sea scallops were $9.99/lb at Market Basket today.
Rinsed, dried, salt and pepper and into a pan of olive oil and butter, low heat.
Served with spaghetti, parsley and lemon. They were sooo good. Ate them all
before I thought to take a picture. But here’s the wine :wine_glass:

11 Likes

I gotta stop food shopping. Or stick to my lists when I do go. Picked up a very inexpensive package of country-style pork ribs yesterday at Hannaford. At $3.52 for what will end up being 4 meals, I couldn’t resist.

So that’s WWFD tonight - a couple of the ribs seasoned with some pork rub, layered with slices of onion, and baked tightly covered with foil for several hours. Fat poured off, then the ribs were slathered with some Trader Joe’s organic brown sugar BBQ sauce and cooked another half hour uncovered.

Sides were tarragon potato salad and a pea-pasta salad. I used a cup of thawed frozen peas, a half cup of leftover Israeli couscous from last night’s dinner, grated radishes, and chopped red bell pepper, and some leftover honey-mustard vinaigrette to dress the pea salad.

There was some wine, and all was quite good.

9 Likes

so lucky to have large sea scallop for that price.
I just bought 5 pounds dry scallops on sale, less than 15 scallops / pound , still cost me $14.99/pound

I know, we were a little suspect but the scallops were really nice, for the 2 of us we spent $6.00 for dinner. I will go back later this week and get a few more, maybe to grill or pan fry again. I liked LindaWhit’s pea-pasta salad. Would be good with scallops too. (and wine)

1 Like

Thanks for your thoughts. I went with measurements rather than weight so that may have some bearing. Next time I’ll weigh and see if the cookies are less oily. Not a huge deal since it’s not a daily indulgence. I do like raw rolled oats. Not sure if I’d like raw steel cut.

I really like the steel cut oats! Nice texture, nuttier flavor and moved the whole thing into a more sophisticated realm. But still familiar enough that I think folks who aren’t adventuresome would still enjoy them.

1 Like

if they are dry scallops , not treated with phosphate, they are best for searing
they should be marked but if you are buying them from a market, there may be no mark
dry scallops are usually a little off white in color
i have never been able to buy fresh dry scallops except at the wholesale seafood strip mall in Jessup Maryland’ They cost $14.99 per pound and are the best. However, it is a one hour drive without traffic, and the strip is only open from 2:00AM. to 9:00 AM. m. This is where the famous seafood restaurant O 'Donell’s truck is usually parked.
However, they do not welcome any retailer unless you buy a whole lot.
I have been going there for the last 7 years, know the manager of one of the stores who usually wait for me till 10:00AM, in case the traffic is heavy. Usually, I have to sent my order in 24 hours ahead of time but if I want the smoked mussels from Ducktrap, that has to be ordered 48 hours in advance.
I go there 2 or 3 times a year, usually load up on scallops, fresh sashimi quality tuna loin ( best i ever have except from the open market in Amsterdam ), fresh rainbow trout, and wild shrimp. I also like their smoked mussels and smoked fish from duck trap.
However, the frozen ( flash frozen dry scallops) are second best
We love them seared with grapeseed oil and butter, served with spinach seared in the same oil after the scallops are done with freshly grated parmesan.

1 Like

Glad to hear that place is still up and running. Went there once at the break of dawn many years ago. Purchased a whole swordfish. It took up most of the freezer. Couple days later, everyone was already sick of swordfish, but we hadn’t even finished half of it yet. I don’t think my parents or siblings have ever eaten swordfish again.

You must have a very large freezer!

1 Like

Yes, I do but also has 2 other refrigerators, one is a Pro Refrigerator
I also get some while I am there for my sister in Va.
Usually, I go there before a party.

do you still live nearby me?
I live in Calvert County, Southern Maryland

I am about 20 minutes from the seafood market, right outside Baltimore, in Catonsville.

A post was split to a new topic: Message not delivered

Oven roasted chicken thigh with slaw and a bulger/toasted vermicelli side

7 Likes

Pad Thai, street cart style . Perfect weather to cook outside today.

10 Likes

I know I’m cooking outside tonight . Chicken thighs on the grill. Sauteed zucchini , simple canned beans simply cooked. Caught up on the acre of yard work today . I’m beat and dirty. Feels good. Time for wine and putting together dinner. CHEERS. :wine_glass::wine_glass:

7 Likes

My cooking mojo is on vacation lately.
I found a container of Kite Hill chive cream cheese on crazy clearance yesterday ($1.99 instead of $6.50!) so last night i defrosted and toasted half an everything bagel and slathered it in an obscene amount of that cream cheese, topped with some thin onion. Side of sugar snap peas, cherry tomatoes and some cornichons.
I stopped at by Chloe this afternoon on my bike ride (crazy gorgeous day today!) and had “linner” of the vegan kale ceasar.
Just had a bunch of cantaloupe since I finally found a good one, some kombucha a la carte

5 Likes

I feel you. , I am batting 125 in the cooking mojo percentage

1 Like