What's for Dinner #33 - Prom Season Edition - May '18

Autumn is slow going away and spring is slowly returning, albeit the fierce and chilly wind. I had 2 thick salmon filets (steaks?) and wanted to make something Japanese-eque.

Marinade: liquid smoke, tamari, kecap manis (Indonesian sweetish soya sauce), caramel made with Riesling and a pinch of salt. A few drops of sesame oil once plated, in the marinade is too overpowering, I find. Sesame oil is 1 of those things I can’t use too much of. And rhubarb (SV) and asparagus because they are nice spring vegs.

4 Likes

I did not use your time/temp for the oxtail, I used Kenji’s recommendation. I was just quoting your data because I was unhappy with the result of following Kenji’s orders in this case. But I wll definitely try oxtail when I find some nice pieces in the supermarket, probably in the late fall.

You are, of course, completely right about keeping notes. I do this for most things I cook or bake (Excel spreadsheets). But up to now I’ve been completely satisfied with Serious Eats / Kenji’s sous vide instructions. This is the first time he let me down (the so-and-so!). But I doubt that I’ll try sous vide leg of lamb again. On the one hand, I don’t make it that often, and on the other hand, I’m very satisfied with the results of roasting in the oven.

By the way, I just booked Su Gologone in Sardinia.

1 Like

Oxtails made a repeat performance tonight

5 Likes

A beauty.

1 Like

Thanks emglow. All leftovers, except the spinich and tomato salad

I’m a recycler

2 Likes

I love recycling meals into tomorrow’s dinner.

4 Likes

How pretty those are- and i’m somehow fascinated by the unique egg box!

It’s still crazy weird HOT!! Like 92. WTF?!
Not very hungry last night, which may or may not be related to the new pint of vegan ben and jerry’s peanut butter cookie ice cream that i spent too much money on…(holy crap it is AMAZING). Basically had a big bowl of not that great watermelon that got better after a spritz of lime juice and a little salt

Was hanging out with my favorite five year old tonight while his mom and dad went to a fancy school fundraiser. He “helped” cook his dinner, three kid handfuls of mini wagon wheels with one pink plastic forkful of butter, and an ear of corn with more butter. He’s very into hot carbs with butter.
We ate baby carrots while cooking! Then watched The Incredibles movie and played legos.

I stopped by the rastafarian vegan cafe for a small mixed plate of the day, sauteed kale, curried squash, mushrooms, and a mix of red and black rice. It was still a ton of food, i’ll have leftovers ontop of salad for lunch tomorrow

14 Likes

Chicken sausage from the freezer and defrosted, SV at 150F for about 2 hours and then seared quickly in a hot saucepan. Came out better - more juicy - than when I fry it normally. Took a lot longer though. Also steamed some zucchini and cooked some cannellini beans in the pressure cooker with a spoonful of salsa and some bacon fat for 45 min and then mashed a bit and reduced.

4 Likes

Is that the Raffaellesco pattern on the plate of your beautiful food. Looks like mine. Majolica

I got it from Sur La Table recently:

I can’t find it on their site right now but it’s the dinner plate.

1 Like

Yes it is .I got mine from Biordi arts in San Francisco. I have the bowl also. My sister and I have been exchanging deruta for years as gifts for Christmas

3 Likes

@emglow101 @Mr_Happy
Are you twins? :laughing:

6 Likes

In Switzerland for a couple of days, so despite the warmish weather, I just had to…

8 Likes

Wow, if it is hot, it’s a bit heavy even the fondue is very good. Sweating meal.

Yeah, it’s not really hot today but with 15 tables of people eating fondue over an open flame, the restaurant did get a little toasty! I followed it up with a plum sorbet to cool off! :sunglasses:

6 Likes

Look forward to hearing about Sardinia!

Of course you had to. You are in CH for only a couple of days. Enjoy!

When I don’t want to be surrounded by the heat I melt the cheese in the kitchen. When the cheese gets cooler I just return to the kitchen and melt it a bit again. This way one can eat cheese fondue year round. :triumph::cheese:

Who cares if it’s warm out when it comes to eating something that’s better hot. I eat spicy (noodle) soups in the heat, quite happily. Have been to Asia a few times. Hah!

2 Likes

Another ode to spring.

6 Likes

Bon appétit! I never eat fondue because (a) it is often too thin, and thus tasteless; or (b) it is properly thick and good, but then I can’t sleep all night. But when it’s delicious, it’s delicious.