What's for Dinner #33 - Prom Season Edition - May '18

How do you not even mention the white asparagus edible art on the plate?? Gorgeous as always.
I have visions of the mom bird divebombing you trying to come and go from the house! :joy:

2 Likes

I woke up to find out today’s bbq had to be cancelled due to the baby who is sick and tortured her parents all night. Seems to be her first cold mixed with teething fun. (Yikes!)
Ended up overcast and not exactly warm anyhow- although nice enough for biking :slight_smile:
I suspect i am getting a cold myself, a lot of sneezing and bit of a scratchy throat. Made a simple quicky tomato/ginger/coconut milk soup, blended in some soaked cashews to make it more creamy and a heavy hand with the black pepper.
Side of lots of kombucha, going to have some throat coat tea and hope i can sleep this off

4 Likes

Went to the mc cloud mushroom festival yesterday. Picked up some morels . Simple omelette with sauteed morels. Pickled zucchini and onion. Tomato and cottage cheese. Wine to drink , cheers.:wine_glass:

13 Likes

Two nights ago, pakoras. Onion, potato, kale.

Last night, keema (ground beef) patties. Homemade puff pastry.

I’ve now finished my Ramadan rotation of ten items. We had a meeting before Ramadan and decided on these ten. Now I get to repeat.

13 Likes

Ttrockwood, thanks. It’s fun to see blackbirds divebomb winged rats, who are too stupid to understand their presence is unwanted (in my garden, especilly when there’s a nest full of fledglings). Once they got so furious with me and the female nearly attacked me. I saved one of their fledglings from a crow but she thought I tried to snatch it.

Today’s dinner is simple, using up some stuff. Korean noodles with Laoganma (Sichuan crispy chilli flakes in oil) and fermented black beans. The vegs are asparagus and rhubarb. Also, lots of ginger.

PS: not sure if you already know this… click on the photo to enlarge it. It looks better. I resize my photos to 1024 pixels in width. Forum shows only 850 pixels width, I think. You can see the photo is cut off on the right.

5 Likes

Cooking these beauties up tonite . Morels, and boletes . Courtesy of the Shasta forest.

13 Likes

Those are making my heart pitter patter!! I love love love morels (and hate having to clean them) and although I don’t think i’ve had the boletes before i love all mushrooms…

1 Like

I went out for lunch and had some lovely moule frite finished with creme fraiche, and brought home leftovers.
The next night, I made a sauce with butter, spring onions, Thai red peppers and tarragon, then added the leftover mussels and sauce.
Baguette with sweet butter finished the dish.

13 Likes

I went with a friend to the new “heavenly bodies” exhibit at the Met (really stunning) and we thought we would go for wine afterwards but then realized we needed something to eat and i was desperate for ice cream! We walked across the park and went to Amorino, amazing gelato shop. I had the strawberry and basil sorbetto (sorbeti?) and my friend had the pistachio gelato- i had a bite and swooned. Damned my dairy issues!
That was basically my dinner appetizer, ended up with yet another not so great watermelon because hope springs eternal. Turned it into a random salad with cucumber, some sweet onion, pickled ginger (i know! It was surprisingly good here), and hemp seeds. Lots of kombucha on the side.
And a photo!

6 Likes

Envious

1 Like

Made some merguez yesterday using this recipe:

and stuffed it into sheep casings. Fried some up for dinner along with some couscous and sautéed peppers and shallots.

12 Likes

Wow, you have boletes now?! Usual they can be found in end of autumn here.

Wowsa, Mr Happy!

Damn you, Emglow!! Dayam dayam dayaaaaaam!

1 Like

More food from the last of this and that. It has to happen once in a while. It was so dark by the time I finished cooking. I have brightened the photos considerably. If you look at the left side of the first photo you can see a strong blue tinge, that’s the shadow of the potatoes in insufficient light.

Warm and cold together is today’s dinner. Cod wrapped in Tyrolean Speck. Sauce is minced parsley, capers, a whole little jar of Spanish anchovies, Spanish olive oil and of course, garlic.

Just good old smoked herring. Boiled potatoes with herby quark (or cream), a very typical spring food in Germany. Though, it’s more common to dip small potatoes in the quark/cream. I like both ways.

5 Likes

That’s where you win, lol. A friend and I tried stuffing sausage into casings once, we even bought a special attachment for the KitchenAid. It was a disaster. Yours are beautiful!

Thanks! I have the KitchenAid grinder/stuffer attachment too and agree that it doesn’t do stuffing very well. I picked up a sausage stuffer recently:

which was a bit of a splurge but it works a lot better. Still a bit difficult though to work with sheep casings - as opposed to the larger pork casings - since they are so much thinner.

4 Likes

I had the same experience - KitchenAid attachment useless, so I bought the LEM stuffer. It works great and was well worth the cost!

2 Likes

It was a gorgeous day here today - clear and mild. Called for a nice light dinner, so I seared salmon filets and served them with roasted cherry tomatoes, plus a side salad of shaved fennel, yellow peppers, mint and cilantro. The dressing (more mint and cilantro blitzed in the blender with mayonnaise, cider vinegar, salt, pepper and fennel pollen) kind of ran into the tomatoes and created a sauce for the salmon. Excellent with a crisp Provence rosé.

6 Likes

Dinner was Knackwurst with mustard, asparagus and mashed potato, the highlight was the dessert - Apfelstrudel, my first Apple Strudel!

The tricky part was to make very thin stretched sheets to wrap around other ingredients. A lot of holes if you saw my “sheet” I turned the strudel upside down before putting it in oven.

I have used this recipe:

It is an OK recipe, a note that there were too much apples. 4 was enough.

On the whole it was good, not too sweet, because I used Granny Smith. My Apfelstrudel was not good looking, but didn’t affect the taste. Maybe the apples were a bit too mushy, so I should have sliced them thicker.

9 Likes

That so impressive! I do not know anyone that has ever made a strudel from scratch, other than professionals. I thought it was a two person job?