What's for Dinner #30 - The Hearts & Flowers Edition - Feb '18

Melt some butter. I like to use drumsticks. I added hot sauce to the butter last night just for a kick. Season some flour . Put the flour in a bag. Roll the chicken in the melted butter then into the flour .Add a drumstick at a time to the flour mixture. Remove and shake off excess flour. Oven should be at 425 degrees. Put the chicken on the sheet pan. Mine has a wire rack to keep them from hitting the bottom of the pan. Place in middle of oven and cook for about 30 minutes. Turn them over after this time you can crank the oven down a little just depends how hot your oven is and cook for around another 20 minutes give or take.

2 Likes

I usually use chicken wings from Costco, in sections with tips removed.
I defrost them and if cooking a lot, I do it in the vulcan commercial oven for a huge crowd ,but for 2 people, I use my turbo broiler that will cook 20-25 pieces at a time.
I thaw the frozen wings, dry them overnight in fridge , dust them with baking powder , before cooking, rubs ( usually cayenne, smoke paprika , ancho pepper powder , garlic, onion powder and place it in my turbo broiler or in the oven in a rack .
Super crispy wings!
Toss them in Frank’s red wing sauce . The baking powder make them as crispy as oil fried buffalo wings.
Oven temperature has to be readjusted to your oven as mine are commercial ovens. I only use them for huge crowds. I can do 4 large platters at a time.

2 Likes

A throw-together dinner of tagliatelle, sauteed asparagus and red bell pepper, and pancetta in a quick cream sauce of white wine, pasta water, heavy cream, s/p, grated Parm-Reg, and goat cheese all whisked together for dinner tonight. A buttered crusty roll and wine alongside. T’was good.

5 Likes

Oh, have the photo issues been resolved? I didn’t bother with pictures of last night’s and tonight’s dinner. As it happened, they were the same meal. With my fancy butcher pig share’s pork butt, I made carnitas [enough for the magic freezer!] Served with black beans, sort of mashed, but not refried, avocado, tomatoes, cilantro, tomatillo-chili sauce and some hot tortillas. Make your own tacos. Lots of fun to have so many colors on the plate.

Spent the day making Orange and Leek Loukaniko. Our little tasting quenelle was delicious. The sausages need to hang for 3 days and then I will lightly smoke them. The bit at the bottom of the sausage stuffer that doesn’t get stuffed will be tomorrow’s dinner… Orange and Leek Loukaniko burger with some kind of Greek sides. Not sure what that looks like just yet.

Mr. SMT has lost 10 pounds during his two week flu. Now that he is on the other side, time to fatten him back up.

4 Likes

They have!

1 Like

20180203_193110

Thank you. Although it tasted great, i wish I could get it an even golden brown like yours. The rack didn’t help too much. Some of the skin stuck to the rack (was hard to clean) and the lip of the sheet pan prevented the bottom from getting as much heat as I would like. Next time I should probably oil the rack. Also, by the time my skin crisped, the meat was overcooked (180F), but at least not as over as usual, so probably the rack helped more than I thought. I’ve tried the ATK recipe many times, and it’s never been worth the effort for me, just too much coating for an oven-fried chicken. This simple approach gave much better results.

6 Likes

Cooking is always fun. Simply hard. Maybe try 375 degrees. Then crank the temperature up at the end. Or even start with 350. I’ve had mine look like that. Tasty but dry. I ended up cracking the temperature down instead of 1 hour it was like 50 minutes. Try again. The first time I just use the Pyrex baking dish the big rectangle one. Even try lowering the oven rack. It takes a couple times. Don’t give up. It’s a super simple recipe ., but as you know in cooking it all goes wrong and you adjust.:relaxed:

1 Like

Well it seems to be a head cold and not The Plague so far, so i’m crossing my fingers right now…
in between cloroxing my apartment and sleeping i made this super green soup. Reading through the comments i made some adjustments to the ingredients and used more garlic and used a heavy hand with the pepper. The method is also wonky so i made it the way i always do with the onions and garlic first then adding the rest of the ingredients and the broth. I added the cilantro at the end for just a few minutes to keep the bright flavor as well as a spoon of miso paste.
I added some cubed smoked tofu to my bowl and hemp seeds, it was actually really tasty and helped me cram more greens in. Kombucha a la carte.
I cancelled plans for today to stay home and make myself chill. Leftover soup was for lunch so dunno what i’ll do for dinner tonight…

4 Likes

Soggy night. A couple inches of rain and no let up. I have burgers ready for the grill but may do them inside. BIL coming over for dinner and the Super Bowl

2 Likes

Feel better!

1 Like

Dinner during the first quarter was baby back ribs with an apple cider/bourbon BBQ sauce, corn & sugar snap pea salad with red bell pepper, red onion, bacon and cotija cheese, with a vinaigrette of lime juice, olive oil, lime zest and honey-Aleppo pepper. Also a potato salad with celery, hard boiled eggs, green onion with a buttermilk-mustard dressing.

There was wine. And ajita right now at the half. But the Pats excel at 2nd half comebacks.

8 Likes

Rain fell and let up some. Burgers on the grill. Stuffed with duxelle and a scant amount of gouda cheese. Served with homemade seasoned fries

4 Likes

Dinner was the Orange and Leek Loukaniko non-smoked burgers. The sausage burgers were delicious, though like most sausages, was very dense. I was unable to finish mine. I made some pocketless pita breads, but they were not totally successful. The recipe had a ridiculous degree suggestion for the griddle, ruining both the bread and the griddle. I then made some Hilopites with fridge veggies. The zucchini was slimy. The spinach was aged. So I didn’t use either of them. Ended up using some onion, garlic, frozen spinach, tomatoes and some feta. Pretty ‘meh’, but it was less work than my usual “greek” feast.

IMG_1817

I am munching on an Oatmeal Raisin cookie right now, but no pictures.

7 Likes

Grilling & Chilling yesterday. It was close to 90 degrees.

Push-cart Hot Dog Bites for the kiddos… Recipe is on the web. (Cocktail wieners sliced in half lengthwise, cooked and served on Ritz crackers with relish and a squiggle of mustard.)

Grilled Tri tip marinated in Jack Daniels’ barbecue sauce, grilled Romaine salad with bacon, cherry tomatoes and buttermilk dressing, lemon Dijon potato salad. Angel food cake and strawberries with whipped cream.

5 Likes

Hi Karen, welcome to What’s for dinner. Your grilling meal looked yummy. Where are you from? 90º was hot.

Last night Superbowl Rib Steaks… tonight Wings and Thighs…roasted with some roasted veggies…we blew the diets out with Bruchetta, Pigs and blankets, Chips, three dips, etc, etc…back to a simple roast chicken and veggies with some couscous…

6 Likes

“Surf and turf”.

SV bavette steak, chard was wilted in the same buttery pan right after searing the steak. Only had time to pile food onto plates today.

6 Likes

i’m going to try this!

1 Like

Fogot to add the link for the green soup i made, i think it would make a good counterpoint to a rich main dish.

3 Likes

Because i’m an idiot i went to work today. Bad call. Thought i could dayquil myself into a functioning human and that just wasn’t happening. Came home early and took a two hour nap. Made and then drank a bucket of super green juice with a ton of ginger, lemon, half a jalapeño (!), some garlic, beets, an entire bunch of kale, some cucumber and a green apple with a good pinch of salt.
Food isn’t my favorite idea (red flag for my body) but i needed something and went with a savory oatmeal cooked in miso broth. Topped with some avocado, cilantro, kimchi, scallions, nutritional yeast, lots of black pepper and a good handful of hemp seeds. It was tasty! Like a fancy grain bowl - just not as artfully plated. I eventually finished it and am sipping a cayanne lemon kombucha. I don’t really like spicy stuff but about everyone says it’s good when you’re sick…
dessert will be throat coat tea with a nyquil chaser.

7 Likes