What's for Dinner #30 - The Hearts & Flowers Edition - Feb '18

Dinner tonight was seared D’artgnan’s duck breast, using dip of garlic, Soy sauce, cider vinegar and tabasco. Apples sauteed with butter , olive oil, splash of rum, brown sugar and a pinch of salt, asparagus roasted for 8 minutes with EVOO, S/P, topped with parmesan cheese, ( somehow , the photo did not come out), potato that was precooked in microwave with garlic powder/ S/P, dehydrated rosemary , then finish off on top of the stove with duck fat after searing the breast. Son likes the potatoes crispy .Had Masi Campofiorin for wine

again, and dessert was store bought pastry ring from Panera.

9 Likes

Yum!

I decided to take a bit of a walk in the not too cold weather after some errands to El Aguila to pick up some fresh corn tortillas and have a taco snack but I discovered they moved. While walking to the new location i got distracted by a tiny puerto rican/dominican “cuchifritos” shop and stopped in. Counter lady was both baffled and pleased i spoke spanish and promised that their mofongo was made to order and only had meat when they added it per order. So i got my first mofongo! I watched as the guy just behind the counter pounded together the plantains and an impressive amount of garlic and some plantain chips.
I then stopped in a little mexican grocery and never did make it to get those tortillas (they’re really best eaten the same day anyhow)
So dinner was mofongo! They gave me this brothy garlicky sauce with it but a quick taste and there’s something not veg in there, maybe chicken stock, so it went by the wayside.
Not pictured i made a quick tomatillo salsa that i had with the mofongo, and a green salad with a bunch of cilantro. This portion could seriously feed a family of four!! Huge and really dense and filling.

11 Likes

The stock and leftover meat from Saturday’s chicken and a 1/4 bottle of open red wine made chicken parmesan risotto with marinated portabellas sauteed in butter. The couchguest was complaining dinner would be vegan when informed of the menu… and what if it was?

And prosecco because i came home to find one of the dogs had “stomach issues” to put it nicely :confused:

10 Likes

that dinner sounds spectacular to me!

1 Like

your potatoes look excellent. do you cut them with a mandolin?

Made the NYT mushrooms again, with added cream to make it more of a sauce, and made fat spaghetti tonight. Sausage for the BF. Also, steamed asparagus with a dijon/meyer lemon olive oil/sherry vinaigrette. BF made garlic bread. I could eat those shrooms every day with some crusty bread.

11 Likes

What kind of mushrooms did you use Maria? Pasta looks fantastic. Was it bucatini.

1 Like

No, it’s actually spaghetti! Spaghetti No. 5. This brand comes in different thicknesses. not as thick as bucatini, but with a really nice chew. and thanks!

1 Like

just a regular cutco knife, just bought a chef’s choice trizor knife sharpener which makes it easy to slice my onions and potatoes super thin.

2 Likes

Oh and the mushrooms - i used all crimini for the fresh this time, but last time i mixed in some trumpets too. for dry, the first time i used shitakes, this time a mix of shitakes and porcini.

1 Like

mariacarmen, was that the Sam Sifton recipe in the Times, or the Bittman? Looks fabulous, and would be a good dish for the vegetarians and carnivores in our place.

1 Like

It was the Sifton recipe, that went with the polenta. I made it the first time with the Polenta, which was find after i added a TON more cheese and butter. but those mushrooms are good on their own or as a side dish to maybe steak.

5 Likes

Oh, thanks, mc. I’ll give it a try soon, either with pasta or polenta. It caught my eye in one of Sam Sifton’s newsletters.

1 Like

Made pork pernil Sunday, and charro beans. Beans were Rio Zape Rancho Gordos, cooked with a whole dried guajillo, onions/garlic/bell pepper, a bacon bouillon cube, and a pinch of oregano. Fried plantains were way too unripe for my taste, tasteless and dry. bleah. i was fooled by their black skins, but should have known because they were still too firm. Pork was great, however, as were the beans. Salad of cilantro, toms, jalapenos, cukes, and scallions in a lemony vinaigrette.

11 Likes

Local halibut. Pan sauteed with a little mayonnaise and Spice. Asparagus, Beets, glass noodle with baked tofu salad. Wine to drink.:wine_glass:cheers

9 Likes

i love the idea of cooking the fish with mayo. i need to try that sometime.

last night was pork chops and some improvised quinoa and back beans concoction - salad standing in for something green. It looked like a hot mess - especially the quinoa but it tasted pretty good. The couchguest wont eat quinoa because it’s “yuppie food” so too bad ;( It will be lunch.

6 Likes

Works real well with real mayo

1 Like

Last night was just a big Salad of Random Stuff with a couple meatless balls and side of kombucha.

I remembered to get limes today and made this sweet potato and chickpeas dish tonight- it sounds like boring hippie food but it was really flavorful and delicious! Roasted some broccoli alongside for something green

3 Likes