What's for Dinner #29 - 01/2018 - New Year 2018 Edition

Do you know about Kimchi Panackes? According to my Korean AirBNB guests, it is rainy day or cold day food, but I love them anytime.

https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/kimchijeon

Congratulations on getting started on this project!

2 Likes

Kielbasa and pretzels look awesome :+1:

Haven’t made this one in a while. Squid ink pasta with clams. Wine to drink. Cheers,

ia

7 Likes

Reheated some leftovers from Christmas dinner from the freezer. Prime rib roast, creamed spinach, and mashed potatoes. Reheated (thawed in fridge) rib roast at 49C sous-vide for ~40 minutes. The roast was a USDA prime bone-in from Costco. Had used this recipe for the creamed spinach which worked well, usually my creamed spinach is a little watery, this was not (maybe because of the addition of cream cheese):

4 Likes

Oooh, thanks! I like how simple the first recipe is

A few post-NY dinners.

First day I just tried balsamic cider pearls on Cap Ferret oysters, the vinegar taste was subtle, you taste more the original taste of oyster. Second day I tried the pearls again with shallots and lemons zest on oysters. Delish.

This scallop dish took me more than an hour and a half to make: carrot purée at the base (mixed with butter), layered with scallop foam sauce (pan fried orange part of scallop with butter, added shallot, deglazed with white wine, added reduced clementine juice, reduced everything to 1/4 of the volume. Added cream, wasabi and a bit of grated tonka, mixed everything to create a foam I didn’t add tonka and foam didn’t worked). Placed on the cream, the butter pan fried scallop. Added the diced carrots (cooked with chicken broth) and endives, with clementine and lime zest, balsamic vinegar, Espelette chilli pepper, salt and reduced clementine juice. Sparkled finally some toasted bread cut in cubes. Finish and eat!

My presentation looked like nothing. NB. I had 4 scallops instead of 1 on the magazine photo. Mr. naf said the dish was good, I felt it was fine, but a lot of fine tuning was necessary to make it exceptional (less sauce, less cream, vegetables and bread should be diced smaller, bigger scallop etc).

The photo from the magazine Fou de Cuisine, the recipe was from Cyril Lignac.

Butter pan fried cerf (male deer), deglazed with Pinot (I didn’t have Cognac at home), served with a foie gras sauce.

Deer again, this time Bitch (female deer) marinated with truffle and pan fried with butter.

9 Likes

I’m excited for you and so inspired by your results!

Things are too crazy busy at the moment for me to experiment with fermentation but now I want to even more.

1 Like

Had a tremendous craving for menudo the other day & most local sources only have it on Sat. & Sun., plus most commercial products just aren’t that good, so decided to make my own! Probably the best I’ve ever made… Perfect in chilly, rainy weather!

6 Likes

I truly don’t love Menudo, and yet, what you have made looks marvelous.

1 Like

I have this aging smoked ham in the fridge, half a box of Pomi tomatoes, and I have been planning a lentil soup… after a day in medical land, I forced myself to actually put together the soup. This soup is fairly simple. Sauté some onions, carrots and garlic, add just a bit of tomato paste, add tomatoes, then the ham bone and smoked skins, and finally some chicken stock and water.

Dinner was to be more kielbasa, the leftover cabbage and a pretzel, but the smell of the soup required an adjustment. Much less sausage, and a small bowl of the soup. I used whole Masoor lentils from the Indian store and this is so much better than the standard brown lentils. This soup rocks!

Here it is simmering in the pot.

Tomorrow I will start some ciabatta and replenish the AirBNB cranberry-walnut bread supply. I am determined to restock the magic freezer while I have this break.

10 Likes

Tonight we had shrimp sliders. Shrimp was marinated, then broiled, didn’t get the char I wanted. Slider rolls didn’t brown on top like I hoped. I will bake at a higher temp next time. Also, I won’t bake in a muffin pan again, cause they joked I made American Muffins (as opposed to English Muffins.) I think the shape made them feel like it was too sweet since I’ve used the recipe before and no one said anything then. Cumin-roasted garlic aioli saved the day.

20180105_192900

7 Likes

As it often does! I am allergic to shrimp and this still looks delicious. Maybe I should make fish sandwiches tomorrow. I need inspiration right about now.

@Presunto and @smtucker, I want to be you when I grow up. Very inspiring.

Previous meals since New Year’s. First meal of the year was unanimously roast chicken. After the holidays, we just wanted something simple. Overnight salt/pepper dry “brine” in the fridge. Aromatics were garlic, thyme, sage, rosemary. Roasted with carrots, white radishes, and Russett potatoes. Used a thin layer of oil on the cast iron, but otherwise it was just basted with it’s own juices. Had it with cranberry chutney and brown rice (tarkay walay chawal.)

20180102_152841
20180102_164027

Peri peri chicken. With mini naan. Make it a sandwich if you like.

20180103_153419
20180103_153758

Braised chicken legs/thighs. One of my favorites. It doesn’t look good but it tastes great. The Yukon Golds crack at the end and soak up a lot of the braising liquid. Usually I serve it with a grain, but I was asked for pasta, so I used German ribbon noodles I had in the pantry. The charred Meyer lemons I pick out of the broth and serve on the side (we only eat the lemon flesh.) Other ingredients include green olives, dates, tomatoes, garlic, shallots, parsley, and basil.

20180104_174153
20180104_181405

7 Likes

Beautiful chicken. What temp did you roast it at. Looks fabulous.

I love tripes, that’s look good! Was it hominy that floated on the top?

450F. Near the end I start the convection to get the skin a bit browner.

1 Like

I went out today.
I freely admit it was rather idiotic of me.
It was too damn cold.
It was too damn windy.
I came home as quickly as I could.
I read.
I did laundry.
I cuddled with the boyz.
I thought about dinner.
I marinated dinner.
I made dinner.
I drank wine while making dinner. (Like duh.)
I drank wine while eating dinner. (Like duh.)
I will watch “Hello, My Name is Doris” on Prime tonight.

Dinner was chicken thighs marinated for several hours in buttermilk, then roasted with some Zesty Garlic herb blend from Bittersweet Herb Farm in Shelburne, MA that I had purchased at an antique show in the summer.

Sides were Lemon-Parsley Toasted Orzo, and a modified Wedge Salad with Country French Buttermilk Dressing. And wine.

Included is a pic of my frost-patterned garage window this morning.

12 Likes

Normally I eat before going to the pub but this time it was after. Found a hall full of home cooks and chose 1 stall (after making a round to see what everyone else was eating).

Stir-fried pork. Meal for 2 = 10 euros.

The set-up. Somehow I am able to turn off my clean freak mode when on holiday.

The cook.

The next stall. It’s like this in the whole building. You walk around and check out other people’s food. Well, you have no choice as there are not many photos and you can’t read or understand Korean.

OT: we have it good. Never forget that!
This photo makes me want to go to Nepal and I’m not the type that falls for it. A child is doing her homework whilst making a living!

nepal

6 Likes

Stay warm, stay inside and cuddle with the boys.

1 Like

Ever since I showed the family @Ttrockwood’s hot and sour soup recipe, they’ve been asking for it. Today they wanted soup and pizza. In the soup, I used leftover chicken and half the amount of cornstarch. Everything else was as written, though next time I will use half the amount of white pepper. A great recipe, will make again and again. Pizza was topped with jalapeno, red onion, and corn, and was drizzled with basil oil. Made another one without the corn.

20180106_180348
20180106_180332

9 Likes