What's for Dinner #26 - 10/2017 - The Tastes of Fall Edition

I had some ground beef that needed to be used up and not tossed in the freezer which I’m trying to empty to defrost and deice. Meatzza was on the menu - bbq sauce, blue cheese, bacon and red onions. Leftovers for dinner tonight with a side salad.

5 Likes

Happy Birthday

1 Like

Happy Birthday
Prepare Lamb Chops
Use Ensure, add your favorite ice cream !
That is what they suggested at Hopkins

1 Like

Sounds like a great way to celebrate! Happy belated birthday and wishes for a wonderful year.

1 Like

For lunch, we ate at a fish & chips shops, a few minutes drive away.

For dinner, bavette steak has been marinated in oil, red wine, soy sauce, ginger & garlic. Alongside mixed lettuce leaves and endive. And a baguette from the patisserie near the chippy.

It’s something of a celebratory meal. A project I’ve been involved in over recent days came to a successful conclusion across three continents. Feeling really good about that.

12 Likes

Manhattan meets Philly.

Manhattan clam chowder and a cheese steak.

6 Likes

A very happy birthday to you, Trock!

2 Likes

Belated cake day!

1 Like

YAY!!! Congrats on the successful project!

1 Like

One skillet meal tonight - cut up and sauteed blsl chicken thighs and roasted garlic chicken sausages in bacon grease, removed from skillet and added halved Brussels sprouts to the remaining drippings. Steam-sauteed those until brown and just tender, then removed those from the skillet and built a little sauce in the pan with vermouth, apple cider vinegar, chicken stock, butter and some leftover caramelized onions, plus fresh sage and thyme. Dumped everything back into the sauce, gave it a good toss with salt and pepper, and done. Tasty.

4 Likes

I made my regular trek to Karl’s Sausage Kitchen for our bacon allotment. As always, I grabbed three Weissswust at the same time. We decided to freeze the remainder of the beef stew and eat sausages and pretzels for dinner. But, the pretzel prices have skyrocketed. The sausage is LESS than the cost of the pretzels. Time to learn how to make a pretzel.

Anyone have a good recipe for Munich pretzels?

3 Likes

Thank you so much :blush: i certainly don’t take birthdays for granted any more the way i did when i was younger- and i always buy myself an indulgent gift! Haha.

Boost is rough. Years ago i had been very sick and my dr wanted me taking Boost or ensure- i tried both and couldn’t even deal. I finally got my dr to agree that the Odwalla protein smoothie was a worthy alternative, much better tasting and similar nutrition. I would drink one just before going to bed, a few hours after dinner.

4 Likes

What was this year’s indulgent gift? My b-day is this month too. I am thinking a pig share from savenor’s is the indulgent gift for me.

3 Likes

I remember when Odwalla started I was a granola baker next door. Way back when. I like there juices.

2 Likes

It’s apparently National Taco Day™, and I had some soondae, so I made some soondae tacos. It seemed like a good idea at the time (they were actually ok, could have used some onions).

4 Likes

That is true b ut adding ice cream to it certainly make it much better.
They were give once a day at least to the chemo patients at Hopkins, at least in our unit.

1 Like

My Mother has health issues, swallowing difficulties and trouble getting enough nutrition. We’ve had good results with a frozen product which provides many of the benefits of Boost, etc. I’ve tasted it and it’s palatable. Problem is you have to order it in bulk…Just putting it out here in case the info can help someone!

http://www.hormelhealthlabs.com/magic-cup-vanilla-48-4oz

4 Likes

Egg roll in a bowl tonight! Super simple favorite, hit all the wants tonight

7 Likes

Chuletas, tortillas, pico de Gallo, guacamole, ensalada de arugula, chili releno, pepinos.

4 Likes

I’ve been a fan of theirs since…ever…! They got me hooked on green juice from my first “superfood”! Now that’s too sweet for me but they still make a fantastic product. (And i will always love companies that started as a pet project in CA)

1 Like