What's for Dinner #24 - 08/2017 - Hot Summer Nights on Grill Continue

Light dinner

used up a tomato and basil from the garden. Followed by leftover smoked Stealhead trout with string beans and romaine

7 Likes

Peppers AND a kitten? Your neighbors are the best ever.

4 Likes

Continuing my attempt to cram as many green nutrient dense things into myself as possible to avoid sickness…(so far so good i felt a lot better today than i did end of last week)
Appetizer was a shot of fire cider with a lemon wedge to bite right afterwards.
Massaged kale salad with avocado, hemp seeds, raw corn, radishes, tomato, lemon juice, salt/pepper, cilantro, and chickpeas. Kombucha a la carte.
I’ll likely have a big spoon of nut butter while waiting for my tea (some hippie mix with fennel, eucalyptus and slippery elm) water to boil as dessert.

5 Likes

I was scheduled to be at the doctor’s offices today for 3 hours, but they kept me for over 6! What a relief to come home and discover that Mr. SMT had been to the fish store and there was a lovely salmon steak in the fridge. The salmon went onto the grill and joined a plate of baked sweet potato, a simple green salad, and two of our homegrown tomatoes.

This year’s tomatoes are late, but man the flavor is just wonderful. Tonight I just salted and then squirted just a bit of olive oil. We both ate bites of the tomato with salad. Summer is waning, and yet it is finally here!

7 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was in stages.
My son had the last of my home made spring rolls (4 of them) as appetizer as I was not hungry yet.
He left for the gym, returned for dinner at 10:30PM.
Dinner is sea food Portuguese Cataplana
Sauteed shallot, garlic, 2 andouille sausage without the casing in EVOO, added diced red pepper, tomatoes to make my soffrito, with a pinch of saffron and smoked spanish paprika and a tin of anchovy in olive oil. These were stir fried on my wok and once cooked, turned the heat to low for about 15 minutes for all the flavors to meld together then transferred to the cataplana .
Shelled about 8-10 large patagonia shrimps, roasted the shrimp shells to make some extra stocks and together with the stocks made a few nights ago from my shrimp shells when I made shrimp, tomato, feta dish, , I added these shrimp to my small 10 inch cataplana, some frozen clam meat and squid flowers ( from my freezer), a few slices of chipotle and adobo sauce, one lemon zest, basil and rosemary from my garden , some broccoli , then steamed the cataplana for around 12 minutes. ( added a pinch of saffron and smoked spanish paprika to the warm strip broth

) This is served with lemon juice, usually with parsley ( but found my parsley too sorry looking ) with rosemary and garlic bread from the Italian Deli.
First attachment, the soffrito precooked on my wok assembled on the cataplana
second picture , sea food added , topped with broccoli and herbs ( basil and rosemary)
third picture- cooked after 14 min. I should have taken it off after 10 min, broccoli too cooked for my taste. I prefer crunchy broccoli. Uploading…

5 Likes

Duck scotch eggs Monday night

Last night was a simple sous vide chicken salad with yogurt nutritional yeast dressing. I’m loving meal prep with the circulator.

4 Likes

Last night I needed to use up a good amount of baby spinach so we had spanakopita (not very authentic, but we like the ratio of spinach and cheese). Tonight we’ll have leftovers accompanied by gazpacho. The tomatoes are threatening to take over the neighborhood!

5 Likes

A few dinners…

Using the remaining ingredients, i made this pork and prawn Vietnamese rice noodles. Actually husband said delicious! It was not bad!

Saturday night squid pasta with tomato salad, the home grown cherry tomatoes :tomato: !

Sunday night we were dinning with our neighbours, I brought over some canapés- puff pastries with tomato sauce, anchovy, onion confit, goat cheese and thyme. Neighbours did a bell pepper tart and a cheese tart. We even tried a ginger rum! (Forgot photos)

Monday night, wanted some non Vietnamese food for a change, made this veal tartare with dehydrated and fresh raspberries with Parmesan and egg yolk. Pretty good. The original recipe asked for comté and it should be melting. I tried my best to melt the Parmesan, not so easy!

Finished with a pineapple tartin. The pineapple was too ripe, no good to consume it fresh.

Husband said the tart was very good, he ate half of the tart (28cm diameter). I was too tired to feel anything :pineapple:!

Yesterday was another Vietnamese meal, a try on “cha ca” cod fish marinated with fresh ginger and turmeric. Everything stir fried with dill, cilantro, onion, peanuts… served with rice noodle. It was okay, it was better in Vietnam though!

9 Likes

Dinner was a sandwich

SV chicken. 1.5% eq. brined.
Dukes mayo on both sides. One side with a fine dice of home prepared chipotle. Lettuce and tomato for crunch and moisture on the other side. Humbolt Fog gave it a significant favor boost.

Need to repreat. Soon

6 Likes

Dessert

Dates stuffed with Humbolt fog and crushed pistachios.

11 Likes

More than wow .

@Scubadoo97, lovely dates!

For with tea I like to stuff them with marzipan.

@Naf, I was going to make Dill Fish yesterday but 2 twigs of dill from the supermarket would not be enough. I always buy a big bunch of dill from the Turk or at the market. Tomorrow.

1 Like

wow on all of these - especially that pineapple tart!

i am craving Vietnamese. tomorrow night, i hope…

Asian Fusion Night!

Grilled lemongrass chikn, broccoli stir fry with leeks and mushrooms, kimchi salad with radishes and romaine, Chikn Mandoo with cilantro:

8 Likes

I want alllllll of your kimchi salad!! Not sure what is in yours exactly but try adding in some toasted sesame oil and/or chinese sesame paste next time, the kimchi/sesame combo is now something i crave due to my own kimchi radish sesame salad obsession…(which has yet to relent, made it again just the other night)

Worked late last night, picked up a Maoz baked falafel salad on my way home and abused the salad toppings they offer. Tasty enough but mostly due to the extra gob of babaganoush and marinated carrots.

Tonight i found a little container of Mozza chickpeas in my freezer! WoooHooo!! I’m a wimp and leave out the chili. I mixed the drained defrosted beans with some raw corn cut off the cob, diced cucumber, cherry tomatoes, cilantro, hemp seeds, and a dijon heavy vinegrette. I scooped it up with some romaine heart leaves. The last few thick seedy fancy crackers on the side and some ginger lemon kombucha. Plenty of leftovers for lunch tomorrow too.

(I’ve never made the Mozza salad as written but i have made and really enjoyed a version with baked tempeh cubes instead of the meat with the vinegrette as written and the delicious beans)
http://cafebarber.com/2013/06/mozza-salad-i-could-eat-this-every-night/

5 Likes

Tonight I was reminded of why I learned to cook– self preservation! She took the leftover rotisserie chicken I had brought up from Costco and cut it up into parts and put it in a glass Pyrex. Since she remembered that I had said 5 minutes under the broiler [for a warm chicken] without asking anymore questions, microwaved the poor bird for 5 excutiatingly long minutes. This was served about 10 minutes before the salad which was from a clamshell and not cleaned any further, and 15 minutes before the corn that was boiled in a huge amount of water for 8 minutes.

Since the microwave wasn’t happy with only destroying one of the foods on the table, she then microwaved a beautiful, locally made French bread.

Dessert was a nice peach with some blueberries, but not the local ones. Ones shipped in from elsewhere.

Even my least inspired meals are better than this. Oh am I hungry right about now. [Even the grand-scallion refused to eat the chicken!]

1 Like

As I used to tell my grandmother, “He didn’t marry me for my cooking skills.” :wink:

3 Likes

Tonight’s dinner
D’artagnan’s Moulard Duck Breast dry seared , mod high heat. ( My digital thermometer did not work , low battery when I was ready to test the meat ) but it came out medium rare, after which it was tented 10 minutes’ or more
While duck was resting, sauteed swiss chard with garlic, shallot , then added cider vinegar, soy sauce, jest and the juice of one lemon, fresh ground pepper
Roasted golden potato in the oven brushed with olive oil, garlic powder. S/P and fresh rosemary ahead of time.
After potatoes were cooked, I brushed them with some of the duck fat ( my son does not like duck fat but he compromised) tonight) and roasted it more

until till were very crisp.
No picture taken of potato as son was devouring the potatoes while the duck was resting and I was cooking swiss chard
Tonight , I had a glass of pinot noir ( I do not usually drink wine with Chinese food, just with red meat and duck) I
I told my moms dinner is duck breast. They were given Orijen’s kibbles but sat around the table as they understand DUCK. They had been smacking their lips ( Duck is their favorite food) and they had their share!

7 Likes

I had a cat that could smell venison leftovers when I got off the elevator … I would hear the howling from down the hall. Your duck looks amazing!