What's for Dinner #21 - 05/2017 - Garden Banquet edition

Yeah, problem with internet or HO server, should quit the page or reload or come back later to upload again the pictures.

tried many times, TIRED
Comcast hired a company to come as my son complained vehemently re our internet access
They came last week to make paint marks of all the electric wires so Comcast will not damage electric wires when they dig for another line .
I told them to leave as I cannot deal with them
My son will not arrive till June 10, the paint washes away9 with rain,!
The house is too big plus all the cement floors and steel made it f=very difficult ( However, no BR, just huge kitchen, LR, DR , entertaining areas)
We have all these outlet, 2-3 in every floor with new modem recommended by them but hopeless still
So, Today, I am basically resting bec of rain, cooked another torta for breakfast with left overs
Am cooking the shrimp, tomato and feta
day probably to give the babies their bath ( they are overdue, now, 4 weeks. they get a bath normally every 21 days. ) that alone takes about 2.5 hours.
cheers.
Envy your living in France!

1 Like

@Scubadoo97, king of leftovers!

@LindaWhit, mango rice. Nice touch. When in season I like to put crunchy nectarine chunks and (ripe) mango in my salads and grains.

@aussieshepsx2, they are beautiful. I have never made them either. Tend to leave deep-frying to the restaurants or someone else.

I’ll have what @emglow101 is having! Hope to see your non home cooking meals (if possible).

@biondanonima, plan more flowers and other plants to drive out the weeds. The partner does the gardening, I get the plants. :tulip: Nice dinner, btw. There was still light at 7 today, we were still eating our BBQ, actually.

@naf, I like your plant with tiny pale flowers. Well, picada is Catalan pesto. I prefer it over Italian pesto.

2 Likes

More picada. It was gloriously sunny and pleasantly warm, perfect for a bbq. Thus my plan of making something Spanish had to be postponed until tomorrow.

Turkish pistachio picada and lamb chops.

Moorish-Spanish…? Beetroot marinated asparagus lost its vibrant colour after grilling but was still deep red on the inside.

6 Likes

Thanks, @Presunto. I almost made a saffron-mango rice, but wasn’t sure if it would go with the chicken. Probably not if it had been as limey as I had wanted.

And I realize now the chicken marinade would have been good with some grated fresh ginger for that extra oomph.

2 Likes

So, my story is fairly boring, but at the moment I need to eat sweet potatoes and only flavors that “ping” in my mouth appeal. Add in a creamy component, and I can eat enough. So, for some reason, I decided that I needed to make Massaman Curry. It has been a long time I made this, and after I had done my mise en place I discovered that I couldn’t find my recipe! It was “right there” last night, but tonight, just to spite me it had disappeared. So, I reviewed a few recipes on line, put together something that made sense to me and that was dinner. My serving had a lot of the “sauce” because that is what I wanted.

7 Likes

Monday was a work day . So it’s a nice and easy cheese omelette , with leftover farro salad . Beer to drink .::beer: to drink . Cheers.

1 Like

Pan seared burgers with a side of corn and green bean succotash

2 Likes

If you are looking for more ways to eat sweet potatoes look at recipes for african peanut stew - the best versions are sweet potatoes with a peanut butter/coconut milk sauce or broth and black beans or lentils and hearty greens. More of a sturdy winter stew but it’s delicious and quite filling, freezes well too.
Or when i get lazy i just make a baked sweet potato, dribble with a peanut buttery sauce and top with black beans and fresh cilantro and scallions, some salsa if it’s around.

1 Like

I had a good snack late afternoon to avoid another sad desk dinner. Put together a little dinner once home - snacky plate style with a few of my lentil olive meatless balls, fancy olives, raw red bell pepper, sliced cucumber, and hummus that i doused with that Everything bagel spice from trader joe’s.
Half of a unisom and tea for dessert, hoping to actually sleep tonight…

I have been living on baked sweet potatoes. I serve them with butter and either chives or sage depending on what the garden is giving me. Other sources of potassium have been yogurt, potato skins, and apricots. My diet is a strange thing these days.

3 Likes

Perhaps you already know but artichokes, avocado and lentils are also great sources of potassium.
You could do a lentil salad with chunks of roasted sweet potatoes, artichoke hearts and avocado! Haha. (And yum!)
Sweet potatoes are good stuff. Unless you’re like me and just poke it and put it on the oven rack and the juices drip and burn and set off the smoke alarm…

Avocados are a great source of potassium. I was happy to learn this, because bananas are too sweet for me. Even sweet potatoes have me reaching for the sambal oleek.

@Ttrockwood. I love them in the oven this way, but am trying not to bore the other people around the table. I have a craving for a sweet potato latke, so that is what I will make tonight along with a French lentil salad. Serve with the grilled and smoked chicken we made this weekend, and I think we can call that a meal.

Artichokes, sadly since I love them, is not a revered food item at the smtucker dinner table. The numbers for avocado aren’t that great actually. I mean, it looks good if you can eat an entire avocado, but I can’t. However, I love them and will add them to the shopping list. They can accompany my Rick Bayless’ Grilled pork adobado with smoky roasted sweet potatoes and guajillo salsa which is also on my list to make.

Made a a bunch of lahamagine

12 Likes

It’s a 4-day long weekend here and the weather is very nice! Got a small corn-fed chicken (from France) to make 2 meals with it.

Pollo con Tomate. Near the end I slipped it under the grill to soften the tomatoes and the skin got a bit charred in the process. It got removed later but the purpose is to keep the meat moist until it’s time to eat. We ate it with bread.

Leftover pistachio picada…

I think I like almond picada more.

Finally made Pollo en Peritoria. A lot like chicken picada.

Ate this with linguine.

10 Likes

Here was last night’s dinner. Leftover grilled chicken which for some reason Mr. SMT cut into small cubes, sweet potato latkes [without the intended chives] and French lentils.

7 Likes

Last night was an unexpectedly delicious “stirfry” of sorts, with spicy Bob Evans breakfast sausage, kielbasa, Brussels sprouts, shallots, garlic and roasted cherry tomatoes. Topped with parmesan cheese, it was very tasty! We are heading out of town for the long weekend on Saturday morning so the next couple of nights will probably be eggs, leftovers and anything that needs to be used before it goes bad, so doubtfully anything report-worthy!

4 Likes

Tonight I am going to put a couple chicken leg and thighs in the smoker . Salad of Romaine and radish . Potato sauteed in oo . Wine to drink :wine_glass: cheers

4 Likes

Same for me also . Headed out after the weekend for nine days . Clean out the fridge .:mountain::fishing_pole_and_fish:

1 Like