What's for Dinner #17 - 01/2017 - the New Beginnings Edition

Nice meal. You drink non French wines? :astonished: I used to know a French expat who only drinks French. Have read about Frenchies not drinking non French wines.

In Hungary they rub the toast with raw garlic then spread a thick layer of marrow on it. Gonna make it when I finish other Hungarian fats.

I like squid, too. Poor squid. So vastly underated.

Whether it snows in Paris or not… looking at your dishes, I’m booking the next flight over :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Tonight will be cevapi with roasted red peppers, chopped onions and some kinda yogurt based “sauce” I haven’t made up yet. Lettuce leaves for the vehicle. Snow peas for snacking since the plants are exploding with them and more purple cauliflower since its ready to pick.

12 Likes

Very pretty colour, the cauliflower!

1 Like

Everything looks so inventive and lovely, but, this to me, is very intriguing…

And I love the terrine pan.

CABBAGE, APPLE, TURNIP, BONITO, Roberta’s Cookbook, page 115.

This dish consists of several sub-recipes, which I always enjoy, lots of bits and pieces coming together to a wonderful whole.

A salad of napa cabbage, Granny Smith apple, and bok choy, dressed with togarashi dressing; Savoy cabbage warmed in bonito butter; garnished with thinly sliced Japanese turnip and grated horseradish, all drizzled with melted bonito butter. It came together beautifully.

6 Likes

Chicken and apple sausages , cooked in pan along with sliced red onion , seedless red grapes , and a little vinegar . Served on a bed of polenta

5 Likes

WeezieD, I don’t care for cauliflower but always buy the purple one like yours whenever I see it. It really is a stunning colour for a tasteless veg (to me). I eat more cauliflower because of the colour :yum:

Bookwich, how to make bonito butter? I have bonito flakes brought back from Japan.

Meet Skrei, from arctic Norway. In season only from now til sometime in april. Costs a pretty penny but it’s worth it. I picked out these 2 thick loin pieces because the thickness prevents overcooking this precious fish.

Eur.35/kg. Both pieces weigh 650gr.

Steamed with seaweed, preserved lemon. That’s it. You really don’t want to overpower the delicate flavour of Skrei with much. I guess it’s bland food to those who are used to eating spicy food.

Everything is white but my dinner is there.

5 Likes

Had a ladies night yesterday at the CBDTR. Two martinis for me (Starlight & Bluecoat, respectively), and I shared some spicy shrimp ho fun with one of my gal pals.

The planned Chinese NY party for tonight was moved to last night, so we ended up having a second meal (hot pot) and more drinks. Fun evening.

WFD tonight? Maybe some leftover pizza my man made for himself last night.

Happy weekend, y’all!

5 Likes

Skrei looks really good

Pre-Lunar New Year ‘reunion meal’

Black cod:

Before steaming with ginger and green onion.

Cod after steaming, plus the rice ovalette with napa cabbage, pork, and shitake.

9 Likes

Thanks, Scuba. We ate it all and it was really a lot of fish, twice the amount per person. The thing I don’t like about fish is the leftovers. Took our time and with some more Riesling we ate it all. Fish must swim in water, then in Riesling and again in Riesling. At least in my house they do. They were also steamed with some Riesling :yum:

Today: “Chinese fondue”. Made the dumplings with lamb mince, lots of snipped chives, garlic, ginger, and Sichuan peppercorns. They were powerful!

All kinds of things to dip in the broth and here are some of them.

The clam meat is more to further flavour the broth rather than to eat.

8 Likes

Looks great, Sck! All of it!

2 Likes

Hard to follow these posts with fantastic CNY meals…!
I went out with friends for CNY chinese last night, they offered a set menu but my not that adventurous friends were hesitant since it included a lot of dishes they had never tried or heard of… there was another vegetarian there and we had a sizzling plate with lots of veggies and tofu, my favorite steamed rice rolls with soy something sauce, and mixed mushrooms rice steamed in bamboo. I also had some of the sautéed long beans and a few glasses of the champagne (BYO) which was kinda fun to drink from the tea cups. Way too much food was ordered and we all went home with some leftovers (leftover rice rolls were my breakfast :slight_smile:

Tonight will be more of the tomato sweet potato peanut butter zucchini chickpea stew i made a little bit ago. Hearty and hits that peanut butter craving that just won’t stop lately. Really horrible photo here- tastes better than it looks!

5 Likes

I’m just heartsick at what is going on in our country this past week. Toto, I don’t think we’re in the U.S. anymore. :frowning:

Several hours were spent at work today to finish a project, as I’m not sure what is going to be thrown at me on Monday. Then Petco, CVS, and Whole Foods errands. WF has boneless chuck roast and chuck stew meat on sale, and Mom wants both Lemon Pot Roast and some more beef-barley-veg soup for her freezer meals, so both meat cuts were purchased.

Mom’s Lemon Pot Roast for dinner. I used some gorgeous Meyer lemons that were purchased at WF for the lemon juice rather than regular lemons. They are less stringent but still add the nice lemony flavor. Twas wonderful, and Mom will get several slices in the lemony gravy for her freezer meals.

There was wine, of course. And perhaps a snifter of Licor 43 for dessert.

10 Likes

The blue cheese that we didn’t particularly like the taste, was very salty and not much taste was finally used to in this broccoli and leek tart. Sliced onion and leeks cooked with cream added at the base of the cooked tart base, topped with already 2 minute cooked broccoli, some sliced bacon and the blue cheese - Froume d’Ambert, the tart was excellent! Thanks Presuno’s suggestion of using the cheese in tart…(didn’t use the endive recipe, I have this broccoli siting in the fridge a bit too long too)

Yesterday was a shiitake mushroom noodle in a homemade chicken booth with sliced onion and soya bean, simply with a roasted chicken. Booth was made 2 days ago. The cold or flu was really getting me, it was the best I could do for dinner by tossing a chicken into the oven.

Tonight’s meal was even more simple: cheese, bread, fruits and yogurt… meal before the newly delivered TV and more sleep after.

10 Likes

Serious Eats’ Halal Cart style chicken and rice. This was really delicious.

12 Likes

More or less what I had the other night . Sausage; except sweet Italian, with grapes and onion . And I have a nice balsamic from Modena for the dish . To be served over a lot of creamy polenta . Wine , cooking , and listing to George Duke . Have a good evening .:wine_glass:

3 Likes

Catching up after this long, sad, bewildering, and frightening week… definitely seeking comfort in food (and booze):

Oxtail stew and butternut squash gratin (the latter was HEAVEN)
Black bean soup with smoked pork neck meat and a slice of TJs pork belly atop
Carnitas chilaquiles over mexi rice and odd sinkhole of an egg
Fesenjan (Persian ground walnut and pomegranate molasses chicken stew) with turmeric rice
Salad of endive/fresh peas/shallots/cilantro in a pom molasses vinaigrette)

Interspersed by a few meals out. Osso buco slow cooking in the instant pot right now for tomorrow night’s dinner.

Happy Saturday, y’all! Let’s hope against hope things don’t get worse here.
Now to scroll through all your deliciousnesses…

10 Likes

eating pulled pork over the stove with your fingers is my sister & my favorite way to do it. that looks amazing.

3 Likes