What's for Dinner #17 - 01/2017 - the New Beginnings Edition

That chuck looks super tender and moist. What was in your rub?

Thanks. Mostly Texas style, salt and pepper but springled a little Dizzy Pig Cow Lick rub on as well. Smoked over oak

7 Likes

Simple sunday dinner. Hungarian goose breast (bought here at home, not in Hungary) and parsley dumplings which were fried in goose fat after cooking the goose. The dumplings tasted a lot nicer fried in goose fat! White stuff behind the breast is Sauerkraut, warmed up the the pan with some wine. I added chopped parsley to the dumpling batter. Next time there will be a lot more parsley.

Had no idea how to plate this meal but here it is…

9 Likes

Decidedly not football food, but it’s what I wanted after another food group friend posted it earlier in the week. I made sure I had the ingredients for this weekend.

Chicken Scarpariello (I made it with a couple of large BISO chicken thighs) over mashed taters with green beans alongside. Wine. Very good!

http://www.italianfoodforever.com/2008/07/chicken-scarpariello/

Patriots AFC championship game on the screen. Obvi. And the boys enjoying their new scratching post/Alfie bed. The other was shredded down to the wood posts.

8 Likes

Meat. Sliced and chopped brisket (point) and a dry-rubbed short rib. The flat is still in the oven - I started the point 2 hours earlier than the flat because it’s so much thicker, but I probably should have only done it an hour earlier.

10 Likes

Nice . Looks juicy . :thumbsup:

Cooking projects weekend while trying to make myself sleep and regain life energy for the coming week. Yesterday was Hazan’s smothered cabbage (i use less olive oil and a vegetable stock) and today was creamy beans- i used this recipe from bon appetite with heirloom cranberry beans, veg stock and since dairy hates me i swapped in unsweetened coconut cream. So dinner tonight was a big bowl of the cabbage topped with the very tasty beans and a slice of pumpernickel toast to dip and scoop.

3 Likes

The point was - really tender, just melted in your mouth. The short ribs were a little hit or miss - some ribs were tender, others were a little tough. I’m thinking they are better braised, or at the very least I should have foiled them for part of the cooking time. The flat just came out of the oven and is resting - I’m almost too full to taste it! Dinner is covered for a good long while!

4 Likes

Used up some old kimchi to make kimchi jjigae à la Maangchi (http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/kimchi-jjigae) on a cold rainy evening.

7 Likes

Another “dirty” blonde soup; this one a Great Northern Bean Soup, with Ham. My roux was spectacular, IMO…

Crusty Rolls from Verace Italian Foods in my hometown…

11 Likes

This rather un-photogenic meal was delicious. Inspired by David Levovitz’s farro mushroom risotto blog post, but since I don’t do mushrooms, this was kale and artichoke farro risotto. Sauteed a large shallot and two cloves of garlic, added the farror and toasted it. The liquid was a large splash of dry vermouth and chicken broth. About half way through the cooking I added finely sliced kale. When it was done (about 45-50 minutes), finished with chopped artichoke hearts, parmesan, lemon juice, and some butter. It was warm and hearty with plenty leftover for lunch today.

13 Likes

That sounds terrific! I’m going to copy you, I love farro and kale. :slight_smile:

Aww… is Alfie going to share the new toy with the other one (what’s his name?)? He’s waiting for his turn patiently! (Thanks for sharing the lives of your cats with us!)

I think our resident vegetarian @Ttrockwood approves of this. It’s just linguine with aubergine, minced tempeh, onions, garlic, tinned peeled tomatoes. And a lot of Pecorino. The little mountain of cheese sank on contact with the heat. We used up half of the chunk seen in the photo.

5 Likes

Buster is the gray one on the floor, and he’s been up in the perch a few times in the last couple of days, but it is most often Alfie’s sleepy place (if he’s not on the back of the couch behind me).

1 Like

Chicken and broccoli

8 Likes

Simply good .

Looks fantastic to me! I like tempeh in about anything…

1 Like

I was home by a decent time last night and put together a rather quick carrot ginger soup that i added white beans to thicken and add some heft, blended it up and stirred in canned coconut milk. Just right for a chilly rainy night.

Worked a bit late tonight, made a detour for garlic knots on my way home but they were hot so i was That Person wafting garlic munching them on the subway :stuck_out_tongue: more of the soup from last night tonight, another chilly rainy one here

5 Likes

A bit of a grumpy mood these days, the cold that has inhibited for weeks finally exploits… with a bit of a wobbly head and the grey weather doesn’t help… no snow.

Will there ever be snow this year in Paris? Last time it was years ago.

Friends over for a weekend meal, entry was squid with curry and lemongrass sauce sided with aubergine with sauge. The main was a chicken cooked in milk with cinnamon, garlic, rosemary and lemon zest… sided with a red onion, seaweed, spinach and lemon farro. Dessert was a vanilla penna cotta with a reduced orange juice and coffee bean syrup. We gusted everything down with a pretty good white from Spain. The invites like a lot the squids, they also like the desserts.

Dinner following day with an oven cooked cod covered with feta and cherry tomatoes and aneth, with a Japanese style cucumber salad- soya sauce, canne sugar, rice vinegar, grated ginger and seasame oil, the meal was simple and satisfying.

Monday was offals! Veal kidneys cooked with sliced onions, flamed with Grand Marnier (no cognac at home!) finished a parsley, cream and butter. Entry was simply bone marrowed on bread with a touch of black pepper and fleur de sel. Both quite good!

Yesterday was roasted pork, with rosemary and garlic with a touch of honey the last 10 minutes in oven and a vegetable cheese gratin: cooked bell peppers cooked garlic alternating with cooked aubergines with another layer of feta, repeat the operation and topped with a bélchamel sauce or white roux. The pork was a bit overwhelmed by the honey, a Corsican chestnut flower, should choose something with lesser character. I’m quite happy with the new Staub cast iron terrain pot…the size is just good.

9 Likes

Strangely, after finished writing this post, I did feel better and ready for the day. The fact that thinking of FOOD can wake me up! Magic!

6 Likes