What's for Dinner #16 - 12/2016 - the (sometimes) Crazy Holiday Yule Edition

More oink. One side is a lot higher than the other and got burnt. I just sliced the burnt part off. Eaten with raw fennel and lots of apple sauce.

6 Likes

Sunday Red Gravy with meatballs, sassage & ground beef:

Spaghetti & garlic bread.

7 Likes

Burgers are on the dinner menu tonight as well

Thre some brussel sprouts absent mindedly into the oven with the chicken. Sprouts nuked.

2 Likes

A simple burger and salad. A quick pickle with part of a Persian cucumber really elevated the burger.

10 Likes

I’ve been playing with my new Instant Pot pressure cooker all day
I wasn’t sure if I was going to keep it, as I wasn’t sure if it was “my style”. So I figured I’d try a couple more recipes before I dismissed it completely.

Beef-Barley-Vegetable Soup for Mom Meals and for work lunches for me worked out nicely (beef stock made last weekend). Pic is of my little taste test. Mom should like it.

Tonight was another try, Lemon Butter Chicken. Not bad - could be a bit more lemony for my taste, but still, pretty good. Yes, there was wine.

And thankfully, I have a doctor’s appt. at 11:15 a.m. tomorrow morning - so I expect that the coming snow will have turned to rain by the time I need to head out.

And I’m finally watching “Frozen”. Probably the last person on earth to have seen it.

8 Likes

I really was craving miso tahini sauce- but it’s freaking cold and a salad didn’t sound good. Poked around and basically used this recipe from serious eats- i swapped the salad greens for sautĂ©ed chard and used a few clementines instead of the grapefruit since i had those. The miso tahini sauce was excellent and really hit the craving :yum:

1 Like

LindaW, I haven’t seen Frozen. Hah!

Tonight was oven roasted skate wing. Dusted with flour and pan fried but it was so thick I had to finish it in the oven. Made a sauce for it with mashed anchovies, garlic, chopped presered lemon, olive oil and capers. Tomato salad and linguine.

Hope the photos turn out. Don’t look promissing on the camera LCD.

2 Likes

Roasted butternut squash lasagna with baby kale ricotta filling and fresh-made herbed pasta sheets. In terms of time-taste ratio, I don’t think it was the greatest success.

8 Likes

It looks beautiful, at least! I like a stronger cheese in a meatless lasagna, though. Maybe try it with fresh chevre next time, or part chevre part ricotta?

1 Like

WFD - Duck breast - started cooking on the hob and finished cooking in oven, simply in it’s own fat. Served with oven roasted potimarron, sprinkled with cumin, sumac, anise, olive oil and off in the oven for 35 minutes. Added some Italian pork grease with the potimarron. Splendid!!

6 Likes

Made some boudin balls using this recipe. Pretty tasty.

5 Likes

Had boudin balls in Lafayette, LA, a few weeks back. Really good flavour - reminded me of haggis.

Pollo Loco: rotisserie chikn tacos with salsa verde, queso anejo & crema:

Drink is a Polar Black Cherry Seltzer:

5 Likes

Had a bag of potatoes in the house, something that doesn’t happen too often.
Dinner was oven baked French fries 
 full disclosure 2 nights in a row
not pictured, last nights that were sprinkled with tons of Cajun seasoning, so good

9 Likes

I’ve tried butternut squash lasagna many times both making it and at restaurants and it’s just too carb on carb and ends up bland somehow. Lasagna seems to need hearty greens, mushrooms, or a summer squash like zucchini.
This sounds insane but if you have leftovers try it with a little bit of soy sauce sprinkled on top.

Chanterelle pasta. It’s been dipping into the fifties here in Los Angeles, I need carbs.

10 Likes

Interesting! I haven’t tried haggis but maybe they taste similar because boudin has a good amount of liver in it.

LIver & pepper were the signifciant similarities. Texture was also similar.

1 Like

I love boudin!

1 Like