What's for Dinner #16 - 12/2016 - the (sometimes) Crazy Holiday Yule Edition

I just started reading Vivian’s new book, Deep Run Roots. I’m enjoying reading it.

1 Like

Beef laab, Thai beef salad for a friend’s party.

7 Likes

If you haven’t made tempeh “bacon” before that’s fun, and makes a tasty sandwich with avocado and such.
Most often i slice and turn in some soy sauce, sesame oil, and then pan fry til the outside gets crispy.
Crumbled up it’s great in a hearty stew. Oh, and the tempeh chimmichuri from the PPK is really delicious, she’s well known for that one
http://www.isachandra.com/2013/04/tempeh-chimichurri/

1 Like

I made a good sized batch of mujadarra this afternoon, leftovers will be for work lunches with some veggies. A had a bowl that was a very late lunch or big snack but somehow it’s always better the next day.

I also made another batch of the Zahav hummus, after my nap i decided i could just scoop up lots of it with some veggies and call it dinner. Big glass of wine on the side.

1 Like

Ribs were a huge hit last night, but very rich, so we’re going a little lighter tonight! I had a leg of lamb that needed attention yesterday so I sliced it thinly and marinated the strips in garlic, cumin, coriander, mint, lemon. olive oil and some chopped fennel fronds. I’ll thread them onto skewers and quickly grill them tonight. Roasted red peppers with parmesan alongside. Maybe a yogurt dipping sauce if I am feeling industrious.

4 Likes

We grilled up a tri-tip and an artichoke. Side was some TJ’s mac & cheese. I froze half the tri-tip and the rest will be used for tacos or whatever else we can figure out later this week.

Jesus I read that as marijuana … I’ve lost my mind

4 Likes

Hey - pass that doobie over here, will ya @chowdom? :wink:

1 Like

Just as satisfying

Moved calzone prep outside and baked them on the grill. One was cheese (provolone and mozzarella), salami, and basil. The other was the same with brocolli rabe added. A tiny bit of sauce inside and some on the top (inspired by something we saw on a DDD’s episode in Italy). First time making calzones and I would definitely do this again.

10 Likes

Ohhh, these look great! I’m thinking a calzone needs to be WFD this weekend!

1 Like

Those look amazing!

2 Likes

Ha!!! Maybe that’s a sign you should lay off the stuff :wink:

Na… them days are long over
I probably would have not misread
had I been partaking.

I miss cooking . Still in the hotel room . Tonight it’s Simply Asia sesame teriyaki noodle bowl . Tossing a couple eggs into the mix . It’s still great .

Today was on the cool side so it was a good opportunity for sweet potato soup. I’m so glad I made a double batch, it was great. The half I put in the freezer will be a welcome find in a couple of weeks.

I topped it with toasted pistachios and bacon.

1 Like

Extending the leftover corn in cream since I had some more scallops and green onions I wanted to use up. Thinned the corn with milk and added a lot of green onions. Simmered that for a while to get the onions to give up some flavor. Pan seared the scallops just before plating

Better the second time around

6 Likes

Last night was a couple of very strong Manhattans with a friend after a stressful day. I missed my train by a minute, though, so I ended up having a mediocre steak salad at Grand Central while I waited for the next one. Tonight’s plan is to slice and fry or broil the pork belly I smoked on Sunday and serve with roasted cauliflower. More BBQ is always a good idea!

5 Likes

Braised pork belly in clay pot. In it there were a few things: Sichuan peppercorns, Sichuan chili in oil, dry sherry, lots of ginger and garlic, Sichuan turnips (added ear the end to keep the crunch).

5 Likes

Trader Joe’s bacon wrapped porchetta, sauce, turnips cooked in stock and mashed with heavy cream and butter, blaukraut, PE Island medley:

For the sauce I oven roasted and caramelized a whole head of garlic, made a chicken broth infused with fresh rosemary, and took the pan drippings with a little browned flour and pulled this together with a touch of balsamic.

A few more porchetta shots:

The porchetta and sauce were awesome.

8 Likes