What's for Dinner #15 - 11/2016 - the Back-to-Standard-Time Edition

Excellent, thanks for the cool searing technique. I’m loving my new soup vide, but am still working on perfecting the searing/grilling afterwards.

Does it have to be glucose powder?

You can use a liquid combination of corn syrup and baking soda. Corn syrup is glucose and fructose. Make a slurry and paint it on the surface of your favorite protein

1 Like

Does the baking soda impact the flavor?

You don’t need much and I haven’t noticed any off flavors from it. I think ratios vary from 1-4 parts simple sugars to 1 part baking soda or you can even use baking powder.

Walked into one of my favorite liquor stores this afternoon to pick up a big bottle of Gin and some mixers. Heard The Little Drummer Boy playing! “Is that Christmas music?” I shouted to the owner-clerk at the register. “Yes. Yes, it is. Wonderful isn’t it?”

Gad.

Anyway, I have Navy Beans soaking in the reefer for soup tomorrow. Will brew them in a roux with vegetable stock; add cubed, pan fried potatoes, and in the last half hour of cooking a mire poix.

Now, just have to find a really crusty bread to complement the dish.

4 Likes

4 cheese home made pizza on a cracker crust with zucchini garlic & salami:

4 Likes

I fucking hate this DST BULLSHIT! (and all things christmas!)

Simple dinner today. Faroe Islands salmon and samphire. I also made a miso sauce for the salmon. Costs twice as much but far better than Norwegian farmed crap. (I like the overhead shot better)

8 Likes

Nice skin sear.

Good color on the salmon too, it’s not that neon orange you get from the farmed stuff.

How was the taste?

First time cooking since Sunday. Dinner needed to be something quick after I got home from the doc’s office. Wine was poured first. Like, DUH.

Meanwhile, a fat chickie-boobie was split in half lengthwise, and seasoned with salt & pepper, and a combo of fresh lime juice, honey, olive oil, and Aleppo pepper was drizzled over top. Into the convection oven to cook, adding more marinade as needed, along with some white wine to make a “sauce.”

Leftover orzo was reheated and some fresh green beans were steamed. More wine was poured, a sprinkling of dried lime zest, and it was dinner.

4 Likes

It’s just a bottle of wine and heating up some leftovers tonight . Happy Friday .:wine_glass:

5 Likes

That’s what I was doing all week with my leftovers. Sometimes with the wine but mostly without. Until tonight. ::::Clink:::::

3 Likes

Ever since one of my fishmongers has Faroe Island salmon on a regular basis I stop eating farmed salmon from elsewhere. Now he has it almost year round.

Both salmon from Faroe Islands and Iceland tastes mild. The Norwegian farmed crap is tasteless and almost pale in colour. Farmed salmon in North America has too much artificial colouring in the feed if it’s neon orange?

Oneday I’ll visit Faroe Islands to eat their salmon (sashimi).

2 Likes

Is samphire expensive where you are? here, it is more expensive than the salmon sitting on top.

What kind do they have?

Did you taste any wild caught west coast salmon on your Canada trip? they are truly better than the farmed stuff.

2.50 euros for 100gr. Samphire is common here. Faroe Islands salmon costs 33 euro a kilo. The piece in the photo was 9 euros.

The salmon we have here is just the Atlantic kind and has a lot higher fat content than North American species.

Yes, I did eat wild salmon on my recent trip. I have eaten salmn in Canada many times and I liked it a lot (it’s not my first time visiting Canada).

Fried Potato Soup for dinner last night. Served with crusty rolls and lots of schmeared butter.

10 Likes

Arjay do you use any bacon in your potato soup?

I do most of the time. But not last night. Almost Vegan (except for the butter and heavy whipping cream :yum: )

1 Like

I picked up another rack of lamb from Costco . I cooked one on the pellet smoker a couple weeks ago . One of the best damned foods ever . Those lollipops were outrageous . Beforehand I am going to toss a whole celery root , cipollini onions , and teenage carrots into a baking dish with oo , and salt and cook them in the smoker also . Also wild oyster mushrooms sauteed in butter .

7 Likes

Sounds delicious already. Smoker has been on my wish list for a while, but i considered it to be a bit too expensive . I’m reading a bit on converting my barbecue grill into an occasional smoker, I wonder what will be the difference between that and a real smoker.

@VikingKaj I have bought several times fresh Spätzle, I never looked up how to cook it probably, I have tried to pan cook it with butter, with some turning a bit crispy, the best way for me… I find it not as good when with sauces.