What's for Dinner #107 - the Almost Sum-Sum-Summertime Edition - June 2024

Yes, the NYT recipe is almost identical, minus the sake. Mine wasn’t too dry, but it was definitely on its way there.

Usually eaten with your hand.
Your “Brown Sauce” was most likely Tamarind Chutney. I have never seen it served with Dosa though ¯_(ツ)_/¯. or a Chicken Tandoor Dosa for that matter. Sounds a bit dry.
The “Tomato-y” one was probably Tomato Chutney
Should have been served with Sambar rather than a Dal but…?
Sounds like it was decent though.

Banquet burger(aka bacon/cheeseburger) on the grill with my usual accoutrements and a side of cheddar/jalapeno chips for dinner. Been waiting all year for this :slight_smile: :yum:

19 Likes

Homemade tagliatelle with mushrooms, onions and mint with broiled asparagus on the side. The mushroom and mint combination was something that was in a Pasta Grannies recipe and it really works! Somehow the mint becomes less minty and just adds to the overall flavour of the final dish. I’m not the biggest fan of mint, in general, but I really like this a lot.

13 Likes

Tacos tonight - Roasted grey sole with a Veracruz style salsa. Quick and easy!

22 Likes

Interesting. Did you add the mint during the cooking process or did you use it as a garnish?

I made crispy gnocchi with chopped salad (vaguely a la Nigel Slater, but I’m not risking burnt garlic) and chicken Italian sausage rounds. Side of garden chard with oo, garlic, toasted slivered almonds, Michigan dried cherries and balsamic drizzle.

16 Likes

Ooh this sounds good! (Also the rest, but starting with this)

1 Like

It was tasty enough but I think I prefer crispy gnocchi with something like sauteed grape tomatoes, herbs, and pearls of mozz. Not quite saucy enough for me and the bites aren’t very cohesive.

3 Likes

No dressing / sauce at all? I missed that.

This sounds very good!

I dressed the veg with a basic vinaigrette of white wine vinegar, oo, garlic, thyme, dried oregano, salt, pepper, and sugar. Maybe my expectations were too high :rofl:

1 Like

Mint was cooked along with the mushrooms. It’s just not a combination I ever would have thought of.

1 Like

Having trouble getting my head around it, but that’s sometimes the genius of unexpected combinations! I love mint in Viet and Turkish savory applications, so why not mushrooms? (I don’t get mint and lamb, but that’s a separate situation :joy:)

Blueberry vareniki. Roasted carrots with dill. Uli’s pork sausage.

21 Likes

It’s Tuesday. Chicken tacos. Onion & cilantro, radish, very spicy aji verde. Elote salad. Bloody Caesars and Margaritas.

18 Likes

Mostly leftovers tonight.

Frozen tsukune of questionable age, but they microwaved up just fine, and then I added a quick glaze of hoisin sauce, oyster sauce, and sesame oil.

Eaten with leftover umami noodles, Korean scallion salad, and some of last night’s Viet cabbage slaw.

16 Likes

Sambal oelek ginger garlic basil shrimp.

Fried glass noodles, ginger garlic sesame oil asparagus, salad.

16 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was Shake & Bake Pork, ugly baked sweet potatoes and mixed vegetables. I got this bag of sweet potatoes on clearance, other than being ugly, I couldn’t find anything wrong with them. I picked out the four largest from the bag and we had them for dinner. I’ll make sweet potato soup with the rest of them and freeze it for a later meal.

15 Likes

The street food festival dosa was better, and def both more fun & efficient to eat with my hands.

I wouldn’t say the restaurant dosa was dry (is it supposed to be saucier?), but the filling was on the loose side, so picking it up without making a major mess, i.e. dropping food all over the table (or worse, my lap :grimacing:) would’ve been impossible.

Also, this only having been the second dosa of my life, I really had no idea what to expect. I guess I just need to try a third one elsewhere :slight_smile:

1 Like

Last night we met up with our Canuck friends at one of my favorite Turkish places in town. It is the only restaurant serving midye & their specialty: chopped (not ground) Adana kebab with pistachios. I’ve been salivating all year in anticipation of both, and — to use the tired old phrase — it did not disappoint. We shared an order of 10 midye,

the “small” appetizer plate,

and two of the kebabs, which was the perfect amount of food.

3B695708-E6EB-4492-AD06-D11CE0AB5D94_4_5005_c

I was looking forward to having a nice big glass of Helles with my meal until I remembered that it’s one of many Turkish places that don’t serve alcohol, so I had two freshly made mugs of ayran instead.

3DFE3CA4-9E51-411D-9501-919BA74477E6_4_5005_c

It was a little difficult having a conversation, unfortunately, as there were a couple of large families with several babies and infants that were pretty much screaming incessantly, with nobody bothering to step outside and try to calm them. Different cultures :woman_shrugging:t3: Let’s call it #atmosphere :smiley:

Had a coupla beers at a cozy bar on the canal after dinner, then called it a night. As you can tell from our outing, my PIC’s on the upswing :heart:

We’d scooted to the Greek bakery in the afternoon and picked up MOAR EKMEK and an almond tart. The almond tart was our late night treat. It didn’t taste much like almond to me — more like a vanilla tart with toasted almonds, but it was good and not too sweet.

Not a clue WFD tonight. I slept pretty late today, and my PIC’s got yet another interview for a podcast at 8pm, which is usually our prime dining time :roll_eyes:

Might have to get a late lunch & then just abendbrot it. Yeah, I just turned that into a verb. Sashimi! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

15 Likes