What's For Dinner #105 - the Start Your Gardens! Edition - April 2024

A riff on cheesy broccoli rice casserole using farro, kielbasa and broccoli, bound with a homemade cheese sauce (roux, white wine, chicken stock, sour cream, cheese odds and ends plus some American to emulsify) and topped with melted fontina/mozz blend. Good but very rich - tons of leftovers. At least it will reheat well and keep DH from asking me if there is anything to eat for lunch!

12 Likes

BF made my tofu and broccoli and sauce for me again, this time atop a little TJ’s frozen organic brown rice, which is really tasty, actually - love the texture. for himself, he made eggs and some of the Peruvian chorizo i got yesterday (which actually comes as a coil, we just sliced off the casing and mashed it up) with mexi-rice and doctored canned beans with crema. I know mine looked prettier (he made both) but I would have loved those chorizo and eggs!

21 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was Pork Roast slow cooked in the crock pot. Baked Potatoes and peas rounded out the meal. Nothing too fancy… just a good hot meal.

16 Likes

Where did you get the Peruvian chorizo ?

1 Like

Chilaquiles verdes con huevos revueltos

22 Likes

little store by our place in the Mission, called Evergreen (on Mission, btw 21st and 22nd). They sell all kinds of frozen sausages from Latin American countries. Lots of other Latin products too.

3 Likes

I got some Japanese eggplant, and simmered it in a leftover pork ragout with that leftover back rib, chopped up. I added more tomato.

16 Likes

Oven-roasted cauliflower (with tahini, olive oil, paprika, curry and cumin) mixed with beluga lentils (with shallots, garlic, olive oil, champagne vinegar), dried tomatoes and watercress. Topped with some dressing made from pureed avocado, garlic, yoghurt and lime juice

15 Likes

Hoisin pork tenderloin sandwich with Asian slaw on toasted garlic cibatta roll. Fries with furikaki and Kewpie mayo.

French vanilla ice cream with a shot of Cuarenta Y Tres.

20 Likes

I love having mayo as a dipping sauce for fries. Using kewpie mayo is brilliant.

2 Likes

I grew up with having mayo exclusively as a fry dip. Didn’t really care for ketchup until much later in life.

Combining them by dipping your fry into mayo, then ketchup is great, but a good mayo is usually all I need. We do kewpie for fries as well. So rich & tangy :yum:

1 Like

I think dipping fries in mayo is a European thing. I remember going to Europe twice in the 80s and whenever fries came with my meal, mayo was the default dipping “sauce”. In Canada (well North America actually) it’s ketchup that they will give you. When I eat out I am getting a bit better at remembering to ask for mayo when I have fries as part of my meal.

3 Likes

And fries with vinegar in many parts of Canada, either white vinegar or malt. Some places offer both.

I lost my taste for ketchup on fries at some point, in my early 20s.

I still like vinegar on fries and sometimes I like dipping them in aioli at the fancier places that serve aioli with their fries.

And of course, gravy is an option at many places in Canada. I ate a lot of fries with gravy in the late 80s. In southwestern Ontario, that was a popular meal for high school students, before Poutine moved into the region around 1995. :rofl:

1 Like

Breakfast for Dinner
Rava Idli, Sambar and Red Coconut Chutney

17 Likes

Wow, you were serious about docking that Potato!

1 Like

Yes… I have a “POTATO” button on my microwave and a few years back I didn’t “dock” a certain potato enough. It wasn’t pretty and the microwave was a mess, so now I over “dock”…

1 Like

I had planned to make the Turkish kebabs I was too lazy to make over the weekend, but after a day buried in numbers I had no mojo for a cooking project.

Leftover bolognese from my lasagne adventure to the rescue – that plus pappardelle and parmesan made for a very quick and satisfying dinner.

15 Likes

I bet :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Home banquet burger/fries/gravy and a Coke classic to wash it down from my neighborhood burger joint. No fuss, no mess, just phone it in and waddle my arse down the street.

14 Likes

I made peanut tofu Buddha bowls and brought a lightly modified version to a teacher in my son’s school who’s undergoing chemo and has two small kids. Her kids, and mine, had the toppings over sweet soy-butter fettuccine noodles. I steamed the broccoli and roasted the chickpeas – just personal preference.

22 Likes