What's For Dinner #105 - the Start Your Gardens! Edition - April 2024

I like how you think :slight_smile:

Hmmm. The German chocolate cake? I think we got that once and were kinda meh about it.

I’m all about the chocolate hazelnut.

:tada: :tada: I’m kind of meh about the ones I have tried. Caramel toffee crunch is still my favorite.

For me, the chocolate hazelnut is basically like a frozen incarnation of Ferrero Rocher or Nutella (with the addition of toasted hazelnuts) :heart_eyes::yum:

Obviously Thomas Keller is best known for his upscale restaurants like French Laundry, Per Se but he also has more “casual” restaurants like Ad Hoc https://www.thomaskeller.com/yountville-california/ad-hoc/our-menu where his team is still delivering well executed dishes. We hadn’t been to Ad Hoc for more than 10 years and so it was time to return. And it still delivered quite well and we won’t wait again for such a long time to return.

Wild arugula salad, ricotta cheese, hazelnuts, blackberries, radishes, pickled red onions, cabernet vinaigrette

Shrimp scampi, white wine, garlic, parsley, lemon, griddled bread

Grilled flank steak, garlic & herb french fries, horseradish cream fraiche

Roasted carrots, forest mushrooms

Cabot clothbound cheddar, apple compote, bouchon bakery pretzel epi

Spumoni chiffon cake, chocolate, pistachio, cherries

15 Likes

I made Low Country boil, although the Gulf shrimp were tiny (that’s all the store had). Buttered baguette on the side. I’m pretending the corn counts as vegetable.

18 Likes

Pan seared Atlantic salmon and loaded romaine salad for dinner.

23 Likes

Gorgeous meal!

3 Likes

A group of us are checking out a new Indian place in town. The two existing ones are fairly mediocre, the Pakistani place used to be great but the last time we ordered from them it was quite a letdown.

Asking here about the menu it sounds like their food is all over the place. Might have to rely on a friend’s better knowledge of the food to pick the right things :slight_smile:

We’re about a dozen peeps, so we should be able to try a bunch of dishes.

4 Likes

That looks all over the (Indian) place - with such a big menu I would avoid biryani and some of the “westernized” dishes

1 Like

That’s fine - I’m not a huge rice eater, so biryani doesn’t interest me. I am hopeful they will bring the heat (wherever appropriate), as I am likely to order traditionally hot (as in spicy as in hot peppers) dishes.

Looks like Safeways Signature Select Java Chip to me…

Dolmas with tahini sauce from my favorite Armenian market - so good! Roasted tomatoes, toum and naan. The toum is a bit overwhelming when cold but spread on warm naan with hot roasted tomatoes piled on top it was perfect.

20 Likes

Improvised dinner of roasted haddock that I rubbed with olive oil, garlic, Madras curry powder (Penzey’s), and cayenne, with roasted mushrooms (tossed in the juices from the fish at the end), over a pilaf of green lentils and orzo. Some lemon and cilantro over everything at the end. Very satisfying!

20 Likes

First dinner party in ages. Roast chicken and take-out salads. Forgot the potato salad in the fridge.

16 Likes

Pan-roasted BC King salmon. Salad greens and homemade croutons in vinaigrette.

20 Likes

And potatoes are vegetables as well.

4 Likes

The dishes are very pretty. Dinner looks good too.

1 Like

Thank you!!

1 Like

Chicken tacos, pico, lime crema. Pinto beans with poblano chile, red bell and onions. Avocado and margaritas.

19 Likes