What's For Dinner #105 - the Start Your Gardens! Edition - April 2024

(post deleted by author)

The things I do for you lot 🤌🏻😅. As an ex chef and stoner, I’ll occasionally try McD’s “limited time” sandwiches, for science 🧬.

Went in with low expectations and I wasn’t disappointed. Got the “Surf and Turf” sandwich which is a double cheeseburger with a filet o fish on top 5/10 cause I wasn’t stoned.

Also had the “Chicken Cheeseburger “ which was better, 6/10 but not great. Basically 4 sandwiches for the price of 2- the extra bread created by chefs who were high af. #TOFTT #regretterien #dontjudgeme 🤌🏻 Also, obligatory fries with catsup.

17 Likes

Are these on the menu, or did you assemble them yourself?

Limited time menu offers up north here in Canada eh.

2 Likes

Ah. I’ve been tempted in the past to double-up two Filet-O-Fishes into one, but that’s kind of expensive.

2 Likes

With the computer terminal ordering you might be able to add a second filet to make it a double for less than 2 sandwiches

1 Like

I will investigate.

1 Like

I had intended on having a fish curry tonight but the fish fillet I took out of the freezer last night was still a little on the frozen side and so was the pork chop. I had one solitary onion left and some cabbage so I made fried cabbage and noodles for dinner.

14 Likes

Recently we visited for the first time Lazy Bear https://www.lazybearsf.com/ and really enjoyed the experience - creative, thoughtful cooking, relaxed, yet professional service. We also liked their upstairs room to finish the night with some desserts. Their goodie bag with breakfast for the next day (cake, coffee) was also a nice gesture. Well deserved Michelin stars

1)Forager’s Tisane - Wild Bay Area infusion, Bay Area honey

2)Whipped Scrambled Eggs - Bacon, maple, hot sauce

3)SF Bay Halibut - Nectarine, gooseberry

4)Kusshi Oyster - Tomato, preserved chili

5)Local Anchovy - Hass avocado, cucumber

6)Sweet Corn - Lazy Bear reserve caviar

7)Early Girl Tomato - Wagyu pepperoni, black olive

8)Roasted Eggplant - Vella dry jack cheese, sungold raisins

9)Half Moon Bay Black Cod - Gold bar squash, green zucchini

10)Whole Liberty Duck - Stone fruit, liver mousse, slim jim

11)Coal-Roasted Ribeye - wagyu beef from Miyazaki prefecture, barbecued carrot, bloomsdale spinach

12)Melon Float - Piel de sapo, crenshaw, canary

13)Strawberry - Pound cake, lemon verbana mousse, elderflower

14)Gummy Bear (Huckleberry, lemon, pine) and Macaron(Concord grape, peanut butter)

15)Cookie - Mission hot chocolate

18 Likes

Filet O fish with a hash brown is excellent if you can get the timing right.

5 Likes

That’s the 10:30AM window, right?

2 Likes

I’ve been craving French dip, so that’s WFD tonight.

London Broil roast beef from the deli on toasty, homemade baguette. Johnny’s French Dip Au Jus. Pasta salad and garden pickle on the side (can’t have FD without a pickle).

21 Likes

I made some mini baguettes today

As you can see I need to work on my scoring.

I ate half of one for dinner with menemen:

24 Likes

I’ve been procrastinating on assembling my lasagne, for which every component except parmesan has been present for days, and I have made two store trips and returned withoiut parmesan in the meantime.

Well, the wonton wrappers were on the verge of needing to be thrown out, and then that would really be a problem, because I’m not going near more of those till Friday!

So, store trip for parm, a late lunch / early dinner to tide me over, and then to work.

I can’t resist sharing this until I cut into it, so here’s my creation of the day: a 25 layer lasagne stack! (Well, the counting people might count it as a lot more because the besciamella and bolognese and maybe even parmesan are technically all layers, but I used 25 noodle layers so that’s what I’m counting).

This was trickier than I expected, mostly because wonton wrappers are thinner and. more slippery and prone to folding onto themselves and sticking together than fresh lasagna sheets (never mind dried, which are really sturdy) – and I had not thought about that.

But look at this adorable little stack :heart_eyes: I forgive it for all the finger-burning un-sticking I had to do :joy:.

Into the fridge, cut and sear tomorrow.

Oh, what did I eat for DINNER you ask?

Matzoh pizza :rofl:. It was delicious too!

24 Likes

Too much good restaurant food lately - back to salads. BF made a wonderful vinaigrette with walnuts, anchovy paste, garlic, lemon, walnut oil, and cider vinegar.

18 Likes

Local blood oranges in the Serious Eats pan seared roasted chicken breasts today!

22 Likes

It’s gorgeous! Congratulations! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

impressive!

3 Likes

still never been there, and it’s only 3 blocks away from me. Looks fabulous.

2 Likes

invariably i return to the fish heavy menu of my youth when my wife is away. Swordfish in an olive oil/caper sauce, roast asparagus and an Asian sweet potato.

22 Likes