What's For Dinner #105 - the Start Your Gardens! Edition - April 2024

(post deleted by author)

and she just got back from Costco and I forgot to have her check for a leg! :frowning_face:

Check sameday.costco.com

All their lamb near me is Australian (tbone chops and legs) which is a strong preference for me because it’s mild and not strongly gamey like american lamb — probably what @ernie_in_berkeley meant by not much flavor.

Feature for some, deficit for others :joy:

This latest package was a fluke, though. The chops I’ve gotten in the past had lots of flavor, and not particularly gamey.

1 Like

We like TJ’s boneless leg of lamb (New Zealand). The flavor suits our preference, and they come in small 2-lb. packages, which is a good size for our household of two.

2 Likes

I made an asparagus, ham, and goat cheese galette and served it with a tomato salad. Guess I was excited to eat because I forgot to take a photo of the plate! I thought the galette turned out pretty:

17 Likes

Thick boneless pork chop cooked with s/p and dried thyme, with sauteed mushrooms and red bell peppers, in a reduced pork stock with some sour cream added at the end for a sauce.

Served on leftover Basmati rice with crispy roasted Brussels sprouts tossed with olive oil and a garlic-herb seasoning.

23 Likes

Still experimenting with different indoor cooking techniques , the texture of these were good. added a little smoked paprika in hope of getting a little smokiness and complexity, ended up with zero smokiness but I did enjoy the extra heat.

Not sure where to go from here, liquid smoke was a bust, maybe I’ll try wood chips and water in the pan.

19 Likes

Pan seared, boneless porkchop/sauteed romaine/confit and fresh garlic/diced tomatoes/mushrooms and scallions. Pork was seasoned with Frank’s Red Hot and Montreal Steak seasoning.

20 Likes

Another asparagus tart here. I used the NYT version (gift link here) as a jumping off point. As the goat cheese I selected already contained garlic and oregano, I skipped adding any additional herbs. Still, I felt the herbaceous deliciousness of the cheese overwhelmed the (garden fresh) asparagus.

This is the first time I’ve purchased puff pastry dough in over 20 years. A treat, certainly, but not something I’m inclined to keep on hand as a pantry staple. I’ve been wanting to make this dish for some time, so happy to check it off my list. I made only half a tart, but have half of the cheese mixture leftover and the other half of the puff, so we’ll be seeing another iteration of it soon. In any case, it was delicious and left me with some good ideas for tarts going forward.

Served with parm and red pepper flakes for garnish. Salad greens in vinaigrette on the side.

22 Likes

You mentioned TJs earlier – their frozen puff is good, especially for the price. (“Seasonal” though :rofl: so you have to grab a box or two when it shows up.)

3 Likes

I’ve heard good things about TJ’s puff. Their nearest store is about 50 miles away, however, and we only get there a couple of times a year. Your advice to load up when available is well-heeded.

3 Likes

I made pizza using flatbread. For toppings, I used zucchini I sautéed in garlic and olive oil, three kinds of cheese (mozzarella, queso fresco and parmesan) and pepperoni (I baked in a toaster oven). Instead of using pizza sauce or tomato sauce, I used a tomato paste pre-seasoned with oregano and basil.

One strange thing I remember about life in Japan was how difficult it was to find tomato paste. You could get it in specialty stores or supermarkets but in regular supermarkets it wasn’t commonly carried. I was told it was because of “lack of demand”, but as wildly popular as Italian food is in Japan, that never made sense to me.

Anyway, this came out well and I’ll make it again. The biggest surprise was how well the queso fresco worked on the pizza. I’d never had queso fresco until a week or so ago and now I’m in love with it.

For dessert, I had a hefty piece of bread pudding bought at an Hispanic supermarket. Amazingly it only cost $1.00.

This was a heavy meal for me, but I walked 11.9km/7.4mi today. And my app tells me that I’ve walked over 210km/130mi since I returned to the US on March 5th. And I walked that distance over 27 of the 37 days since returning. The hot weather is beginning here in Las Vegas and I’ll have to do my walks early in the morning before long.

23 Likes

Stunning.

Tonight I had a ramen style soup starting with vegetable stock and noodles then adding tofu, bok choy, carrot and a little gochujang. Garnished with gren onion and sesame seeds.

19 Likes

Okonomiyaki with miso soup and gailan

22 Likes

Ramen …

BC423E62-1674-428A-A228-2766898562EA_4_5005_c

16 Likes

A friend had a trio gig with her new crew at a local brew pub celebrating its one-year anni this week. It was an early one-hour set, so I stopped by for a couple of local ciders and hung out with a few of my gal pals. My PIC stayed home as we were hosting a buddy for dinner: two pies from the Detroit-style pizza joint – the heavenly garlic dill pickle, and the triple threat with pesto and vodka sauce :yum:

Caught up on life over a bottle of white, then called it a night. Not a clue WFD today.

17 Likes

Looks great, What type of sauce is that on the pickle pie?

Garlic dill.

1 Like