What's for Dinner #104 - the Almost Green Edition - March 2024

Thanks. The photo at the top of that Guardian article is kind of what mine looked like on the plate, but mine was sloppier. My inspiration was this codfish dish:

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/garlic-roasted-cod-mashed-potato-crust

1 Like

Psaropita :nazar_amulet:

I thought -pita implied phyllo, pastry, but Google brings up a method with the mashed potato topping. (in Greek, but I see that Firefox now offers to translate, like Chrome).

But I might try the phyllo version sometime.

3 Likes

I think the term in both English and Greek can mean the pastry/filo -wrapped pie or potato-topped pie.

Akis has his English language recipe up, too. Click on the top left above the Greek recipe. https://akispetretzikis.com/en/recipe/4707/fish-pie

The reverse cold hit me Tuesday (after multiple people in my office have had something similar over the past few weeks): cough first, runny nose, then stuffy head and headache on Wednesday.

This morning I lost my voice. Or at least I sounded like Lauren Bacall (not necessarily a bad thing). But my voice was changed enough that Murphy looked at me with wide eyes like he didn’t know who I was. Eejit. :cat: Finn just rolled onto his back for belly scrubs.

No fever or sore throat yet, thankfully. But I’m still taking tomorrow off to sleep in and hope it doesn’t get that far. (Plus it was a hell of a day and I need a break.)

Took it easy for dinner tonight: pancetta, spinach and goat cheese egg scramble, and a barely toasted slice of sourdough.

Water. And Robitussin as my nighttime libation to hopefully keep the cough at bay.

27 Likes

Sopa Seca - vermicelli cooked in a spicy tomato sauce and topped with various garnished. I used up the last of the chipotle mayo from the other night. Also, I baked it with shrimp, added in the last minutes of cooking.

25 Likes

Looks great!

4 Likes

Lobster salad made with frozen lobster, thin / fast fry oregano -seasoned pork chops fried in butter, charro beans, and swiss chard sautéed with garlic.

10 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

Andouille, roasted tomatoes, collards, pickled okra on yellow rice. Total comfort food, a 3-4X/year favorite.

25 Likes

This happens to me probably once a year with a really bad cold. My theory is it’s from sleeping with the mouth open due to congestion. It’s hard to remember not to whisper with laryngitis! Feel better and enjoy those zzzzs!

3 Likes

Chicken pad see ew using a recipe from The Woks of Life https://thewoksoflife.com/pad-see-ew/

I was lucky enough to find fresh ho fun today at a small Asian market after striking out at Hmart. I followed the proportions of the sauce recipe exactly, but doubled it in quantity based on reviewers’ feedback. Tasty, but a little too salty/too much soy sauce flavor. I would cut back on soy and add a little more oyster sauce next time.

If anyone has a tried and true pad see ew recipe, I’m all ears!

19 Likes

Chicken-zucchini meatball soup. Leftover meatballs from the freezer, dished up with a mirepoix simmered in stock. Served with buttermilk drop biscuits.

16 Likes

good thinking!

A-sha Meteor Noodles tonight - i added a little sunflower seed butter (instead of peanut), as well as a little more sesame oil, soy, mirin, etc., to the sauce, which made it super tasty, in addition to the BF’s beautiful egg and sauteed baby bok choy. Minced garlic, ginger, and red thai chilies got the hot oil treatment on the noodles, and sesame seeds, scallions, cukes, and cilantro went on top. Leftovers for bfast tomorrow.

20 Likes

A guilty pleasure for the first time in 15 years…a frozen beef & bean burrito (Tina’s brand) defrosted in the microwave and lightly grilled in a frying pan with a little olive oil. Topped with extra sharp cheddar cheese and some whole milk unsweetened Greek yogurt (first time to try Fage brand). I put the sliced tomatoes and cucumber to make the plate look more appealing.

I also had a salad because this alone wouldn’t be enough for dinner.

19 Likes

What a day, running around in horizontal hail, building shaking thunder. I got home safely. Should have been a soup day, but I opted for tequila and salad. Tuna, asparagus, radish, hbe, parsley (I forgot the red onion) over a bed of mixed greens and little gem. Creamy caesar dressing with capers.

22 Likes

Thai inspired soup with cod, leek, carrots, coconut milk, lemongrass, garlic, ginger, fish sauce and lime juice. Topped with some peanuts, jalapeño and cilantro

18 Likes

Chicken and sausage gumbo with potato salad

23 Likes

I’m a stomach sleeper (AND I grind my teeth!) so not mouth breathing. I’m home today, so little talking today except to the boyz. LOL Lots of tea with honey and cough drops today.

7 Likes