What's for Dinner #104 - the Almost Green Edition - March 2024

Unfortunately these are not my Photos but look quite similar(except the Naan)

Bolani Kadoo/ Afghan Pumpkin with Spiced Mint Yogurt and Meat Sauce
kaddo3

Qorma-e-Sabzi / Stewed Spinach with Dill and Cilantro

Chapli Kebab / Spicy Afghani Beef Patties
0f7dbac465c33ec7559d2bf6913db4c0

Afghan Cilantro Chutney with Green Chili and Cashews
Chutney-New-Main-q2vw3aok2d5x201mrwgn9azyzhcr11flhr8a6nlgb0

Afghan Naan

16 Likes

We enjoyed another outstanding dinner at La Lupa including excellent scallop crudo with jalapeno peppers, pickled red onions, and cotton candy grapes; crunchy cheesy rice balls; New Zealand lamb chops with cara cara oranges; the best crispy juicy fried chicken with hot honey; Diavola pizza with provolone, fior di latte, pomodoro, salami napolitana, mint. It all went great with a couple of excellent cabernets.

12 Likes

Half DQ Beltbuster and onion rings. Ranch instead of ketchup. He had a Dude with all the fixings. Has anyone else noticed that crunchy Cheetos are a lot smaller now. This is not from the bottom of the bag.

14 Likes

I absolutely love bhindi marsala. Hard to find a good one. My favourite green vegetable is rapini.

For dinner I made a version of Southwestern salad with what I had on hand. Whipped up a southwestern dressing and some tortillas on the side.

18 Likes

Grilled salmon Caesar salad with buttermilk-rye croutons.

21 Likes

Thanks, El, for moving this for me!

Sat. night at my sister’s, she made Ukrainian borsht (more typically pork than beef) again. ATK recipe. So good…

NYT recipe for lentils and pasta that I riffed on, adding tree oyster mushrooms, basil, and red wine to the onion, garlic, thyme, bay leaf, crushed tomatoes, and parm. I used caviar lentils and small elbow macaroni, and a splash of sherry vinegar while reheating. BF’s tomato salad as a side. Homey fare on yet another rainy day in SF.

19 Likes

Beautiful

Chicken fried steak, cream gravy. Green beans sauteed with bacon and onion. Tomato, cuke, sweet onion, oo&v dressing, basil.

24 Likes

:heart_eyes::yum::heart_eyes:

1 Like

Yesterday’s trip to Chinatown wasn’t as successful as I had hoped. I picked up some king oyster mushrooms and bok choy to go with the salmon teriyaki I had for dinner last night however the Chinese grocer I go to was completely out of miso. I was hoping to have king oyster mushrooms with miso butter so I settled for sautéing them in plain ole butter. They were also out of the noodles and tea I was looking for. So for dinner I had salmon teriyaki, king oyster mushrooms and Shanghai bok choy in black bean sauce.

21 Likes

Casarecce pasta, sautéed mushrooms, spinach, and speck sauced lightly with sour cream and pasta water. Another reason why I try to keep “emergency” spinach in the freezer—for when the fresh greens that I thought were still good aren’t.

19 Likes

I run a local home cooking group on Facebook for which I organize a fairly regular potluck. Last night’s might have just broken records in attendance and incredible array of foods – it’s one of those occasions where I wish I had more than one stomach to try ALL the things.

There’s never a specific theme, so folks can make what they love or feel comfortable with, and we always end up with such a wonderful variety. The greatest joy for me – besides stuffing my face silly with everyone’s lovely contributions – is getting all these peeps to meet and hang out :smiling_face:

Let’s start with the appetizer table, shall we?

spinach balls with pepper jelly

chopped salad with multiple dressings and toppings

I wish I could’ve tried either / both of these salads, but the person who brought them showed up 1.5 hours after the feeding frenzy had begun, and I had absolutely ZERO real estate left in muh bellay. Bummer, man.

Moving along / the mains:

Another late arrival (our Scottish friend), another dish I didn’t get to try. But I don’t care much for gnocchi :woman_shrugging:t2:

THIS was spectacular (unexpectedly so). Buttery mashed, really flavorful filling.

Very good jambalaya with a pronounced kick & corn bread.

Absolutely delicious spicy mac (with homegrown serranos), made by a member’s daughter.

My MS roast. There were just a few spoons left to take home from a 6lbs roast :smiling_face:

Delicious pork tenderloin with mushroom sauce.

Egg noodz that came with scrumptious chicken paprikash I forgot to take a pic of :grimacing:

Smoked salmon. A little bland maybe.

One of the stars of last night. A Persian member made fesenjan (much better than my PIC’s recent attempt), and INCREDIBLE tahdig. Wow.

Two apple pies I didn’t try since I’m not much of a dessert person. Came with ice cream, too :slight_smile:

The gay bar’s bartender always brings cocktail fixins for the group (yesterday was delicious Aviations and some nasty ass concoction with absinth :nauseated_face: ), whereas his mom is a stellar baker. I snagged two of these cookies to take home.

MOAR cookies. Shared one with my man.

I think that was everything. Whew. What a fun night. And now we don’t eat for a week :grin:

23 Likes

WHAT a wonderful feast! I want to …

9 Likes

You would’ve loved it. Such a friendly crowd, lotsa new faces, and so much damn food. Damn good food, at that!

3 Likes

What a great spread! It all looked so good. Nice job on the organizing.
Can’t be easy!

2 Likes

It’s actually pretty easy, but I’m good at organizing social events :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Munchkin’s mention of soppressata on the February thread reminded me that we were way overdue ordering soupy from RI. So soupy and sharp provolone with Ritz crackers and shrimp cocktail to go with drinks and TV tonight. Thought about popping the top on a new Alouette, but that would have been a bit too much. We’re full. So that was dinner.

18 Likes

My kinda meal! Yum!

1 Like

Shin Black ramen pimped out.

Pork dumplings/mushrooms/scallions/ broccoli/ kimchi/ chili crisp. I used fortified chicken stock and lots of garlic and ginger. 🫚

22 Likes

The remodel crew took today off, so naturally I woke up at the crack of dawn….can’t wait for the hammering & drilling to return tomorrow so I can sleep in :wink:

It was a sunny day with 17˚C and almost felt like early summer, so we played our first pickleball match in weeks! Whooped his bootay 3:2 :dancer:t2:

After yesterday’s food orgy we’re taking her easy tonight. We were going to use up bits n bobs – the minuscule amount of MS roast the hordes didn’t eviscerate last night, a bit of spicy jambalaya we took home, and I’d planned on using leftover Thai green curry sauce to heat up Aldi’s frozen mussels. Then I remembered I made that curry today a week ago. Nope.

Instead we settled on takeout sushi – I can groove to that, as I should probably live on clear broth until our taping next week :scream: (especially when the camera adds another 10lbs). It’d sure be nice to have a few more wardrobe choices than I currently do, but we all know that’s unlikely to happen, and I’ve known about the date since January, so I really only have myself to blame :roll_eyes:

18 Likes