What's for Dinner #104 - the Almost Green Edition - March 2024

Thank you! It was outstanding.
Your duck looked swoon worthy as well, and was perfectly scored!

3 Likes

:heart::yum::heart::yum::heart::yum::heart:

1 Like

Two all-beef hot dogs on potato buns with sauerkraut and Gulden’s brown mustard. I spent a few more hours cleaning my sister’s kitchen, did 2 loads of laundry for her and then went on a 8km/5mi walk.

She’s certainly appreciative of my helping her and has shown that by being very generous with buying groceries and other items I’m in need of, but she’s driving me up the wall.

22 Likes

I feel like the density (or thickness?) of potato buns requires 2 hot dogs per bun.

God love me some 'kraut.

Well done.

7 Likes

Lovely dinner last night with our friend. Fettucce with maitake and sliced KOS. Sauce consisted of the shrooms’ liquor, sautéed shallot & crushed garlic, RPF, red wine, pasta water, shot of soy sauce, splash of lemon juice, sploosh of heavy cream, fresh parsley. It’s not the greatest shot of brown food, but I’m very happy about having a little pasta leftover for lunch today :yum:

The vinaigrette came out especially well - I love my walnut mustard and use it almost exclusively for salads :heart_eyes:

Tonight’s showing of Poor Things @casa lingua has been postponed to a later date, and we’re good with that - it’s been a rather busy week socializing, with a party week in FL just around the corner. We shall rest our weary bones and have a quiet eve with just the two of us :slight_smile:

18 Likes

One day soon, I will cook dinner again. In the meantime, it’s fun to catch up with friends over dinner out. Tonight’s going to be Thai.

Last night, dim sum, Cantonese, and American Chinese with a giant tableful of HO friends.

My favorites were the shiu mai and the pan-fried seafood noodles, and the roast duck was pretty excellent too.

Night before, sushi and more with one of my core groups, half of which moved away a few years ago but might be moving back, very exciting. (The husbands bungled the ordering out of food insecurity :woman_facepalming:t2: — they thought the might starve if they ate only the seafood we went there to eat; no, no one starved, but everyone hated the large plates they insisted on ordering, including them :flushed:.)

I’m still dreaming of the brown butter scallop nigiri we got multiple orders of, and the warm Jonah crab roll brushed with ghee, plus I’d happily eat another order of the sake and soy marinated sea bass too.

16 Likes

@LindaWhit how did you get the criss cross pattern on your steak? Do you have a griddle pan? And do the blackberries break down much during the cooking process? I’ve only made apple sauce and they break down a lot.

2 Likes

Love Humboldt Fog - one of my favorites!

5 Likes

I do too! It was nice to be able to indulge last night!

2 Likes

A sort of Bouillabaisse made with striped bass. No fresh fennel so I added some fennel seed to the broth along with saffron, garlic, fish stock, tomatoes and onions. Toasted bread with a bastardized rouille - mayo, roasted red peppers, garlic and a tiny bit of harissa - on top.

26 Likes

That’s a stunner of a dish! I love fennel seed, and I would think it would add even more anise flavor than fresh fennel. Love the rouille riff, too.

2 Likes

I rarely drink white wine but your tasting notes makes this one sound delicious. I’ll keep an eye out for it.

2 Likes

Thank you. I’m trying to work my way through our stash of frozen fish from last year before this year’s season gets started. I wasn’t in the mood to go out so I made do with what I had on hand.

3 Likes

Corned beef, cabbage, potatoes and carrots late this afternoon. Not my fave but once a year is good. My father was from Ireland and would not eat this. So we had a smoked shoulder instead. And mom would make a split pea soup from the bone.
Sláinte

22 Likes

Yes, I have 2 ridged grill pans. One is an enameled cast iron grill pan I got at Home Goods awhile back (not sure I’ll be able to use it or my Le Creuset braiser on my new stovetop). You cook the steak/chicken/pork chop partially on one side, then turn it 1/4 of the way to finish cooking that side. Flip and do the same for the other side.

As for the blackberries…i used the “less firm” berries, so they broke down more quickly. But I still had to mash them into the sauce mixture before straining.

4 Likes

I hear you! We have around 25 lbs. of frozen filets and 6 lbs. of smoked to go. Good luck to us both!

5 Likes

Are you happy with your grill pans? I have an indoor grill that kicked the bucket a couple of years ago and although I like it, it is taking up valuable real estate in my kitchen so I am wondering if it’s worth getting a grill pan instead.

1 Like

As I can’t have a charcoal or gas grill, I’ve become accustomed to using them, and yes, I do like them.

I use the Cuisinart cast iron pan (9-1/4") more frequently, as it’s smaller and I’m only cooking for myself.

The larger Calphalon nonstick grill pan i use when I’m making my dad’s satay skewers.

10 Likes

Fish pie (flounder, mushrooms, leeks, garlic, and sage) with a garlic and cheddar mashed potato crust, adapted from:

23 Likes

Yum! :yum:

1 Like