What's for Dinner #104 - the Almost Green Edition - March 2024

A Moroccan-ish meatloaf for dinner tonite after spying some Ras El Hanout tucked in a corner of my counter.

Ground beef and pork, 1 whupped egg, Worcestershire sauce, a smidge of heavy cream, s/p, Ras el Hanout (needed more), chopped fresh parsley, and Panko bread crumbs, all smushed together. Baked for 35 minutes at 350° to start. Then decided at the last minute to brush with some pomegranate molasses (could have used more), baked for another 25 minutes, and sprinkled a bit of granulated honey and finished baking for another 10 minutes.

Went full-on American with the sides: sour creamy mashed potatoes (OMG, these were SO GOOD!), and carrots, peas, and corn with butter and dried savory.

There was wine.

And Murphy deciding to use my worn-and-to-be-washed jeans on the floor as a cozy nap place earlier today.

32 Likes

Sorry for your pain - I still live with a lot of it. Love your humor and spirit. Envy your appetite!!

3 Likes

Thank you :pray:t3:

I’d be more than happy to give up 50% of my appetite to you.

Grilled chicken Caesar with homemade dressing and French bread croutons.

The chicken breasts were briefly brined, and then marinated for a few hours, to prevent them from drying out on the Weber.

21 Likes

We enjoyed another excellent dinner at The Farmer’s Daughter, in Newton, NJ, including lobster pasta with asparagus; humongous PEI mussels with a delicious Thai yellow curry and coconut sauce; Tuscan ‘nachos’ with prosciutto, burrata, Calabrian chilis, truffle pesto oil, on homemade chips; grass fed meatballs with burrata; roast half duck with cranberry orange chutney, braised leeks, and roasted fingerling potatoes; trout with capers and brown butter. It all went great with a couple of excellent Zinfandels.

16 Likes

Pinchos Morunos ( with Ras El Hanout @LindaWhit !) …again! With farro and roasted veg salad, bagged “Southwest chopped salad”.

Made with tenderloin medallions from Heritage.

21 Likes

Japanese-style Chinese food at “Chuo-Ken” in the underground “Namba Walk” shopping arcade with my great friend Ryota. I ordered a combination meal of a half-sized order of their specialty “Sara Udon” which is basically a chop suey over crispy chow mein noodles. This is a dish from Nagasaki, home to one of Japan’s 3 Chinatowns (the others being in Yokohama and Kobe. I honestly can’t find an perfectly equivalent dish or name for such a dish in the US and am not too interested in a discussion about it…sorry. It is a favorite dish and one I am very good at making.

This combination came with a half-sized order of Japanese-style shrimp egg foo young (Japanese egg foo young has no bean sprouts in it) over rice, egg drop soup and takuan pickles. The shrimp egg foo young was too mildly seasoned for my taste, but the “sara udon” was very good.

This was only ¥1250/USD $8.33. I’ll miss Japanese-style Chinese food, but to be honest there are MANY American-style Chinese foods I miss as well and am looking forward to eating them again.

I’ll have a dim sum lunch tomorrow with my friend Rie who is coming to Kobe to say goodbye to me on my last full day in Japan. Dim sum is popular in Japan but not too commonly found an it tends to be expensive and lacking in variety. I look forward to eating proper dim sum back in the US.

19 Likes

Murphy has settled in?

2 Likes

March: In like a lion, out like a lamb. These past two days he’s thrown everything he has (except snow) at me, so when does the lamby part start?
Gumbo from the freezer, added the last of the dungie, cauli rice. Mixed greens salad, red onion, cherry tomatoes, avocado, blue cheese, peppercorn ranch. Wine.

23 Likes

For the most part, yes. He and Finnegan will sleep on opposite sides of the bed or the couch in the 2nd BR. They’ve only curled up once together in the cat bed, whereas Finn and Alfie used to cuddle all the time. Alfie was a great groomer, and Finn put up with it. They’ll still have a chase-and-tussle a LOT after meals as well. Murph is quick to startle…I suspect being a stray for awhile ended up with him being wary of quick movements. But he’s doing pretty well!

16 Likes

Complete opposite by me. Friday was a beautiful blue sky sunny day in my neck of the woods. Although today was cloudy, and rain came in late afternoon. As long as it’s not the dreaded white stuff, I’m good.

Hopefully your weather eases up soon!

2 Likes

Sweet of you to say but be careful about that. I lost a lot of love for food after long stretches of chemo and a recent bout of Covid killed my tastebuds. There’s an old joke DH & I share and we bring up the punchline when one of us (almost always moi) puts hands to the sky and cries “Why me Lord?” and the answer is “I don’t know, Retrospek, there’s just something about you that pisses me off”.

9 Likes

Bell peppers, mushrooms and sliced duck breast

13 Likes

Friday’s dinner was the last of the baked, garlic chicken and potatoes, Saturday was Wings/ meatballs/ fries and maychup for dipping,
Tonight was a big romaine salad with pork tenderloin, feta and pickled veg(no photos)

23 Likes

Baked Mac & Ham & Cheese, using a knob of Gruyere and the rest of some Irish Cheddar from Aldi’s, with a garlic-herb Panko crust.

Salad with red leaf lettuce, the last of a cuke, some halved grape tomatoes, sliced radishes, and a sprinkle of slivered red onion, drizzled with a homemade honey-mustard dressing: olive oil, stone-ground mustard, mayo, lemon juice, s/p and honey.

There was wine.

27 Likes

:drooling_face: (Drooling is a complete sentence.)

6 Likes

Haddock with ginger, scallions, and chiles with soy sauce and sesame oil, adapted from a Kylie Kwong recipe in Simple Chinese Cooking. I’ve made this a few times for myself, but finally got to have BF try it. He liked it very much! The Woks of Life has a similar recipe, but I think Kwong’s edges it out due to the inclusion of some dark soy sauce and the fresh red chiles. I added some wilted baby bok choy to round the plate out.

25 Likes

My DH made hongshao tofu with brown rice. Not bad. Not very exciting.

20 Likes

Chicken thighs with paprika and marjoram,egg noodles , leftover bhindi

18 Likes

Unfortunately these are not my Photos but look quite similar(except the Naan)

Bolani Kadoo/ Afghan Pumpkin with Spiced Mint Yogurt and Meat Sauce
kaddo3

Qorma-e-Sabzi / Stewed Spinach with Dill and Cilantro

Chapli Kebab / Spicy Afghani Beef Patties
0f7dbac465c33ec7559d2bf6913db4c0

Afghan Cilantro Chutney with Green Chili and Cashews
Chutney-New-Main-q2vw3aok2d5x201mrwgn9azyzhcr11flhr8a6nlgb0

Afghan Naan

16 Likes