What's for Dinner #104 - the Almost Green Edition - March 2024

Looks tasty!

Where were the recipes from?

1 Like

My (built in) microwave quit working while I was heating up leftovers for dinner, tonight.

I didn’t have a backup plan, so I sent Sunshine to Burger King to pick up two chicken sandwiches and fries, while I worked to remove yet another dead appliance from my home.

5 Likes

Red carpet party was a blast. It was SO NICE to watch it with my gal pals & comment on the gorgeous tresses and epic fails draped over talented toothpicks :skull:

Barbie was also fun to rewatch. My PIC’s two pitchers of PR sangria were obliterated, as were a few bottles of prosecco and lovely, crisp Grüner Veltliner we’d just bought a case of.

A few glimpses of the tiny buffet.

One of the ladies had never had stuffed grape leaves before (!!!) & loved them. As for the frozen snacklets, I’d say the cream cheese & jalapeño wontons were the most popular – they even had a bit of a kick. Aldi’s pub-style shrimp bites, crispy on the outside had a weirdly soft, almost sauce-like filling with no discernible taste of shrimp. Lastly, TJ’s mini chicken tacos were ok – filling, for sure… but really bland without the addition of Herdez’ spicy avo salsa, tomatillo salsa & lime. TJ’s lemon bars for dessert were snarfed up. No pizza or popcorn needed, we all need to watch our figure after all :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:.

Not a clue WFD tonight.

20 Likes

this was the one i prefer for the saag paneer. It does suggest mustard greens but I actually liked it better with the broccoli and broccoli rabe.

https://food52.com/recipes/64227-sarson-ka-saag-saag-paneer-with-broccoli-rabe-and-spinach

i can’t find the cauliflower curry one right now, it was some weeknight curry dish that used pancho photon, kashmiri red chili powder and garam masala.

5 Likes

Interesting! I’ve only ever had/seen saag paneer made with spinach. It’s one of my favorite Indian dishes (mutter paneer, too).

Yours looks wonderful :star_struck:

2 Likes

Funny coincidence, we had Saag for lunch today :joy:

I was surprised to learn — as someone who wouldn’t touch greens without meat until a few years ago — that Saag is a different dish than Palak Paneer, even though they are each often called the other.

Saag the word means “greens”, but Saag the iconic Punjabi winter dish means pretty specific winter greens, with mustard in the highest proportion.

Today was actually my first time eating “real” Saag :flushed: — even though I made Saag Paneer every week during the pandemic to use up the mustard greens, kale, chard, and more that were overflowing in our garden and the neighbor’s :joy:.

Made by sis, from her friend’s late mom’s recipe (she used to make a vat every winter and send everyone some, a nice memory) — half mustard greens, with the rest a mix of spinach, bathua, and a little turnip or radish.

We didn’t plan ahead, so there were no makke di roti (cornmeal flatbreads) which are the traditional accompaniment, but it was pretty delicious with parathas.

Generous dollop of white (homemade) butter on top of the greens to melt in.

Interestingly, today’s flavor profile was pretty close to what I was making by looking up recipes back during the pandemic, but very different from the Palak Paneer I love, which is much more garlicky from a final tempering, and more textured with aromatics.

23 Likes

Getting in some favorites as I approach departure

Baby lamb chops coated with mashed potato. Childhood favorite, I could just keep eating these till they were done and leave none for anyone else :yum::grin:

Indian Chinese.

Vegetarian spread of truffle edamame dumplings, wonton soup, burnt garlic fried rice, chilli garlic hakka noodles, and paneer Manchurian.

Meat additions of Szechuan chicken lollipops and chicken Manchurian.

27 Likes

my understanding is that palak paneer is spinach only, and saag is made with other greens too.

i only learned about the difference when i made that recipe i linked to, i think last year sometime…

1 Like

I despair at my inability to rely on cheese ravioli as a dinner base. I have people in my fam who will not ricotta under any circumstances. We used to be able to find beef or chicken flavors, but everything now is cheese, spinach and cheese. Even when they don’t say cheese, they have cheese as an ingredient. I would love a dinner easy go-to like that, that I could just sauce and be done.

2 Likes

I seem to recall at some point, there were contamination concerns about who touched what food.

There certainly was! Cheesecake with raisins - my new favourite. No picture since I inhaled it too fast :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No mention of “STOB”? Perhaps that is "a lashing ".

I love Britbox! :heart_eyes:

Packaged ravioli does seem to be all about the cheese. We’ve been leaning more towards Asian dumplings and pierogi these days at our house. Would something like that appeal? I do enjoy my dumpling and dumpling-adjacent foods, especially when I can get a quick dinner out of them.

1 Like

End bits of haddock fillets worked well for a quick dinner of haddock piccata and steamed broccoli. The lemony, caper-y, buttery pan sauce made the meal.

22 Likes

What about going the Asian route for quick and easy dinners, as @shrinkrap suggested?

I always have a variety in the freezer - har gow being a current favorite, TJ’s XLB & mini chicken cilantro wontons, or any number of dumplings, where the options are seemingly endless… and no cheese in sight :wink:

They also usually only require a dipping sauce or two.

4 Likes

Happy birthday month @ottawaoperadiva! ‘Cause I realize this good wish lags a few days after the actual day.

2 Likes

Eggplant and Yu Choy

Both from the garden.

Farm to table for the win!

20 Likes

Pan fried salmon and bucatini , tomato pesto. 🤌🏻 Also, is it just me or has anyone else noticed how skinny salmon filets are these days? I know this is the tail end, but even the center cuts are thin af.

19 Likes

They’re all on a diet.

2 Likes