What's for Dinner #104 - the Almost Green Edition - March 2024

For us (4) roast lamb with coffee gravy, oven roasted asparagus and carrots and mashed potatoes made with garlic and herb Boursin (dotter’s contribution). I pulled the 6.5 boneless roast out at 136°, let it rest (tented) about 15 minutes and it was a disappointing well done roast. It’ll work well for lamb curry later in the week. Carrot cake cupcakes frosted with cream cheese frosting. Nap time afterwards.

12 Likes

We plan on being a little less indulgent in April, so this was our FINAL chance to have a rich pasta meal :joy:.

The other contender for tonight was a Tuscan-type soup (I even did a poll in two of my cooking groups, and BOTH voted for the white bean/tater/nduja/kale mix), which may make an appearance next week, as I got fixins for both just in case, and just before the supermarket near me closed at 3pm :open_mouth:

I melted a couple of anchovy filets in olive oil, added a nice blob of nduja until that dissolved, sautéed half a shallot, slices of a hot & a mild Italian sausage & a king oyster shroom, crushed garlic, a splash of “Butter” (or should that be shudder) Chardonnay nobody in this household is evergoing to drink, a little tomato paste, some leftover feta, a bit of crème fraiche, pasta water, and chopped parsley. Oh, we also added the last meatball from Taluto’s that was sitting in the freezer all lonesome :smiley:

Tasted really indulgent, so the simple green salad with a red wine mustard vinaigrette provided a nice, tart balance.

21 Likes

My brother had to cancel on dinner, so I froze the ham i’d been planning to make and grilled some steaks instead. Also grilled some asparagus. On the side, some broccoli and cauliflower

salad.

24 Likes

ATK’s red beans and rice, here with Uli’s Andouille sausage, and both cranberry shelling beans and shallots from last year’s garden. Crappy out-of-season store-bought green peppers, and garden chives in lieu of scallions. Good stuff.

21 Likes

Mr. B’s BBQ shrimp tossed with angel hair pasta. Along with a Red Lobster cheddar bay biscuit instead of garlic bread., His salad topped with homemade blue cheese dressing made with a $$ marked down blue cheese at Kroger. Can’t remember the name but it makes a kick** dressing. I have to say that RL biscuit mix is my new favorite. Sure, I could make it from scratch but this is so easy.

20 Likes

Duck legs, a take on Torta Pasqualina (spinach, chard and egg), ricotta and lingonberry puff pastries, pineapple bacon beans.
Torta Pasqualina #1

Torta Pasqualina #2

Purchased mango mousse cake for dessert.

22 Likes

I’m still full from tacos but I want to eat all of this so badly!

4 Likes

This looks so good! I had to look it up. Have bookmarked it for a future project cook. Thank you!

1 Like

Happy Easter. Sockeye salmon with a honey mustard glaze, asparagus, lemon butter. Sides were deviled egg, roasted golden beet, radishes. Tomorrow I’m off to warm :crossed_fingers:, sunny :crossed_fingers:SoCal for two weeks to visit family.

24 Likes

I cut back on the parmesan and ricotta : greens ratio compared to most recipes I was finding. I also didn’t weigh my spinach or chard. For this small one I made, I used a big bunch of spinach, a big bunch of chard, 1 egg in the filling, 3 eggs nestled into the filling rather than 6, 2 tbsp drained ricotta and 2 tbsp shredded Parm reggiano.

3 Likes

I realized I didn’t buy an appetizer to start dinner so I had a half an artichoke sprinkled with sea salt. The man course was ham, scalloped potatoes, green beans, carrots. Cheesecake was for dessert.

21 Likes

LindaWhit - I hope you’re loving your new easy clean up stove top. I’ve had one for probably 20 years. Just in case you don’t already know.One thing I learned on CH years ago was when a poster warned against setting a hot/wet lid top on a burner and it broke/sucked the burner right up. We’d been doing that for years up until then. Now we tilt it between the stove and counter. I don’t remember who that poster was but I think of her every time. Funny how someone you don’t even know on an Internet forum can make a difference in someone else’s kitchen. :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

Beautiful!

2 Likes

Thank you!

Interesting artichoke :wink:

1 Like

Beef, it’s what’s for dinner.

Well, beef tartare to be exact.

14 Likes

Easter Dinner was ham, cornbread stuffing w/ gravy, brown sugar & butter sweet potatoes, corn, peas, cranberry sauce and home made rolls (using Glen & Friends Recipe).

As for dessert, I cheated & picked up an apple pie (earlier in the week). I did heat it up and serve with some vanilla ice cream on top.

Everyone enjoyed their Easter Dinner!!

19 Likes

Pork vindaloo (cubed pork loin chops, coconut vinegar, garlic, coriander, cumin, sirarakhong chili, turmeric, red onion, cashews, coconut milk, cilantro) and stir-fried green cabbage with fennel seeds (green cabbage, cumin & fennel & sesame seeds, onion, cayenne, garam masala, lemon juice) - served over rice

13 Likes

Oops I meant avocado :grin: I also described the main course not the man course :laughing: The edit button disappears too fast - blarg!

4 Likes

I started the new April thread here:

5 Likes