What's for Dinner #104 - the Almost Green Edition - March 2024

Bumper food day. Fish curry with a long-time favorite fish I haven’t eaten in over a decade, and street food favorites of seekh kababs and offal grilled over charcoal.

The fish curry was fantastic; the fish came fresh and was just superb. Called Ghol, looks a bit like Chilean sea bass but is nothing like it in taste and texture. When we were kids, my dad would cube it up, season it, and pan-fry it for us to snack on while he made dinner. These days it’s really hard to find because it’s apparently used in pharma, wine-making (wot?!), and more. :woman_facepalming:t2:. Fish guy really came through today.

The kababs were good, as they usually are. Two different kinds of naan, one for each, but I only like one of them.

Experimenting with sous vide on mom’s leg of lamb recipe. SV step done, will finish the rest of the process in time for dinner tomorrow.

22 Likes

In Oregon it is call moss, my least favorite green.

1 Like

Oyakodon, the famed “parent & child rice bowl” dish of chicken and egg over rice at “Nakau”, my favorite rice bowl dish chain. TBH, it was slightly undercooked for my taste (I prefer the egg to not be runny and even slightly scrambled would be better), but I had to eat fast and Nakau is always fast, if nothing else. I

added almost too much “benishoga” (pickled red ginger), but I like it, so no problem for me.

I’ll miss this chain just as I did for the more than 12 years I lived in Tokushima where it doesn’t exist. Thankfully, it did exist in Shizuoka where I sometimes ate it and it is nearly ubiquitous here in the Osaka/Kobe/Kyoto area. Incredibly this costs only ¥450/USD $3.00.

21 Likes

Nakau is owned by a company called “Zensho” who runs or operates MANY Japanese chain restaurants. I think many of you will be surprised at the names on the list!

3 Likes

Do tell :grin:

Leftover chipotle chicken stew tonight with Fritos.

21 Likes

We enjoyed another outstanding dinner at Fiorentini in Rutherford, NJ, including handmade raviolone with a truffle ricotta filling, creamy egg yolk, fresh mushroom ragu, topped with fresh shaved black truffles; pork chop with polenta, peperonata, and kumquat, brown butter jus; handmade agnolotti with gremolata pesto jus; salumi board; radicchio salad with apple compote, stracchino, roasted walnuts, watercress, and honey mustard dressing. It went great with our favorite red blend and an excellent Argentinian cabernet/cabernet franc blend.

15 Likes

Greek souvlaki-style grilled pork tenderloin. Scallion couscous. Greekish salad. Tzatziki.

22 Likes

Fried pounded and breaded chicken thigh, gravy. Asparagus, butter, aleppo pepper. Spinach salad, hbe, bacon, sweet and sour dressing.

22 Likes

BF made me a lentil/arugula/feta salad with cherry toms, HB egg, cilantro, red onion, avo., etc. a play on a salad i used to make every summer of just lentils, arugula, egg and avocado. Delicious! Maybe not the best choice on a rainy-AF night but what the hell.

for his dinner, he made a porky/beany soup. he took a beautiful fat pork chop i had in the freezer and braised it until it was pull-apart tender. roasted peppers and feta on top.

21 Likes

Cacio e Pepe . On a whim I purchased off the internet. Pecorino Romano pepito ( pepper) made in Sardinia from a retailer back east . Cheers . Its whats for dinner.

24 Likes

Yet another farro salad; this one with roasted red pepper, onions, carrots and beets. There’s also winter greens, apples, sliced almonds, and a lemon vinaigrette.

22 Likes

This is our green season. The rest of the year we call it “golden”.

5 Likes

Oh nothing sinister :joy:

The offal kababs are served with a small domed bread that is still called naan — it’s unsalted (bec the kababs are highly seasoned) and bready and I’ve never loved it since I was a kid.

Everyone else does, though — my mom will eat it with butter and paneer for dinner and breakfast :joy:

1 Like

So it’s a spicy pecorino? Where did you order from?

Last night was tacos/burritos for the fam, from a local truck that will soon up a shop in town. Spicy shrimp for me, chorizo for DH and a burrito for the 1st son. 2nd son went with a spicy chicken sandwich and fries from another spot.
No pics but it was enjoyed by all.
Looking forward to the greening that happens in March but it is the loonnnggeesstt
month of the year for me.

11 Likes

An-Ti-Ci-Pay-Yay-Shun is making me wait…
© Carly Simon

2 Likes

Black pepper, I take it? I had a lovely black pepper cheddar a while ago from Aldi.

1 Like

Fun night out. We started off with a couple libations & bites at the gay bar before catching one of my all-time favorite movies.

I had a Calvados 75 & a Botanist martini, and finally got my hands (and mouf) on those scrumptious duck meatballs.

The salad was fantastic: crisp, kronchy, with a nice lemony vinaigrette. Perhaps a tad bit overdressed, but the sturdy greens stood up to it.

Went back to the bar after the movie, but it was packed to the rafters & I couldn’t deal. Went home and snacked on har gow dipped in a mix of soy sauce, rice vinegar, chili crisp, sesame oil. Perfect late night snack :smiling_face:

I also had a few blackberries to use up, so I made a quick sauce with dark rum, a little sugar, and butter to serve with a new discovery: Tillamook’s chocolate hazelnut ice cream. F yeah :star_struck:

20 Likes

21 Likes