What's for Dinner #103 - the Extra 24 Hours Month Edition - February 2024

I love malbec, who is the maker of this velvety wine?

2 Likes

Here ya go. $17.99 at the local state store :slight_smile:

44D5BD42-7295-4B98-96F0-EE814C132B38_4_5005_c

2 Likes

Bacon/kimchi/egg fried rice. Don’t look like much, but it was dang tasty.

23 Likes

I’ve always loved tostadas. Do you make or buy the crisp tortillas for them?

1 Like

Shortrib rendang with rice noodles. Used the recipe from Terrific Pacific as a guide, but left out what I didn’t have on hand (lemongrass, galangal)

14 Likes

Looks good!

I’ve only eaten it with rice — how did you like it with noodles?

Did you use a ready curry paste to get some of those flavors in? (I’m trying to imagine rendang without lemongrass… and still a delicious curry, I would guess.)

1 Like

Those are some serious garnishing skills! My sour cream / crema attempt would be…. a big blob :joy:

3 Likes

Whatcha talkin bout @PedroPero?!
That looks :star_struck:

1 Like

Good on Mrs P @paryzer — I always admire her pizza topping skills (among other things). It’s the amount of topping I always want, but also doesn’t look like it’s going to collapse under them like mine do :rofl:

3 Likes

I just bought them from Aldi. They’re decent heated up in the oven.

1 Like

Impossible burgers on seeded brioche buns with sauteed crimini mushrooms and Swiss, charred broccolini salad with miso-tahini dressing, golden raisins, and toasted almonds. Reheated fries.

18 Likes

Gracias, I’ll probably never find it where I live, but I’ll keep looking.

1 Like

No pics but tonight was pan fried cod with a dusting of cajun spices and some steamed snow peas. And some wine. Storm coming this week…Tuesday. Need to get eggs, bread and milk. Not sure why but thats the drill. :cloud_with_snow:

14 Likes

Gotta make French Toast! :grin:

6 Likes

Finally bought a dishwasher.
Waiting on delivery/install.
Eyeing a new range as well. We’ll see.

Dinner was a proper Shepherd’s Pie using ground lamb. Patterned after the linked recipe, I used carrots, peas, corn, and pearl onions. Tossed in 4-5 chopped leftover baby potatoes as well. Used some leftover chicken gravy and beef stock as the gravy.

I had mashed potatoes in the freezer, but not enough. Boiled and mashed a couple more potatoes, but the defrosted taters were too watery once mixed in with the newly mashed. A handful of Bob’s Red Mill potato flakes tossed into the soupy mess came to the rescue!

A light sprinkle of grated Parm-Reg and into a 375° oven for 30 minutes (vs the blogger’s 400°). Let it rest for 20 minutes or so before serving.

Wine.

And a picture of Murphy and Finnegan enjoying their early afternoon nap in the 2nd bedroom.

29 Likes

This method is awesome. I have these 6" octagonal salad bowls that work great with 12" tortillas.

7 Likes

We went out to our local sushi place for omakase. We were treated to a variety of wonderful things. I called uncle about 10 items in. I’m not 30 anymore. A highlight of the meal was sayori (needlefish/halfbeak). This, in a meal that included ankimo, wagyu, uni, and foie gras.

18 Likes

I added around a tablespoon of red curry paste which would have contained some lemongrass and galangal.
Here is recipe. I omit the chicken broth. I left out the red peppers and added some sambal oelek.

I’ve been serving rice noodles with all sorts of curries lately, including Indian curries.

My DCs prefer potatoes, noodles and rice noodles to plainrice, so lately I just make rice noodles instead of plain rice.

Redang is also delicious with roti canai! (I know you know this, @saregama :grinning:)

6 Likes

Thank you :blush: I am impressed how much the Stonefire crispy crust can handle without collapsing :grinning:

4 Likes

Pounded boneless chicken thighs, marinated in yogurt, TJ’s zhoug, toum, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and lemon zest on the counter for an hour and a half (call the food safety police). Riff on a Bon Appetit recipe. Sprayed with avocado oil and broiled. Served on sad yellow rice reheated from the freezer, drizzled with some reserved unused marinade thinned with buttermilk, with a cucumber-mixed cherry tomato salad with TJ’s green goddess dressing. ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS, far better than expected.

21 Likes