What's for Dinner #103 - the Extra 24 Hours Month Edition - February 2024

Hi, sorry for the late reply, but when you smoke in your Dutch oven, what is the heat source? Do you do it on stovetop and run a vent hood? Out on the grill? I’ve never tried smoking in a DO but it sounds (and looks!) like it works well for smaller dishes.

You can smoke in a wok, too, if you have one. I occasionally do tea smoked fish or chicken in it. Same concept can be applied without the tea and those particular flavors.

3 Likes

That turned out perfect! The recipe is very similar to a loaf-pan gyro type meat, except those usually call for the addition of ground rosemary and marjoram, and minus the coriander.

I’m going to try it your way (Matheson/Kramer) next time to see how the flavor profile changes.

1 Like

Nice, Dan. If you can do that, you can do these:

I keep saying that I’m going to make them but never get around to it…

2 Likes

Hence the bespoke taco racks?

1 Like
2 Likes

I have now officially made my wife “tired, very tired” of pork tenderloin. It’d been half price in last week’s sale flyer and I kind of overdid it (3 nights in a row).

Sunday (no photo, sorry, I forget too often) was broiled tenderloin chunks that had been marinated in a yogurt/dill/cumin/coriander/curry/garlic sauce, with various roasted veggies (sheetpan, just tossed them in the oven while preheating and getting the broiler hot).

Monday night - got a wild hair up my… whatever, because we’d had surf & turf (filet mignon, lobster tail [1]) Saturday night when my 2nd daughter was here for the weekend. So, maybe I can make pork tenderloin like beef filet? I cut 5 inch logs out of the center, most cylindrical portion of the tenderloin, stood them on end and pressed them vertically for 30 minutes with a 25 pound plate from my weight set until 5 inches turned into 2.5. Then pre-salt and reverse sear just like a beef filets. Leftover pic, again I’m bad about remembering. Served with a different set of sheetpan veggies - I’m lazy and it’s just such an easy way to make a variety, and also with a sesame-topped loaf of bread.

For the bread I was shooting for a baguette style crust with a softer, more closed crumb. I started with a basic baguette recipe, but added some olive oil and tried the tangzhong method with a portion of the called-for water and flour being cooked together in a sauce pan. I got the crumb and texture I was looking for but while the crust was crispy (steam pan in oven) it wasn’t quite as heavy as it should have been if I was really shooting for “baguette crust”. Also I wonder if I could have done the wash-and-sesame about half way through, given the sesame are mostly over toasted (but at least they didn’t get bitter).

[1] My wife’s Aunt had sent us a surf/turf kit frozen from an online place. Did I remember to get a pic? Of course not.

Last night: I had made Italian seasoning, balsamic and oil marinated and roasted chicken breasts last week, and thought, why can’t I do that with pork tenderloin? So I cut off the ragged ends, leaving me with 2 sections right at 1 pound each, scored, marinated for about 6 hours total (5 hours salt and all herbs etc., 1 additional hour with vinegar/oil) and roasted. (Again, leftovers photo!)

By last night even I was getting a bit tired of the sheetpan veggie bake so I just did some steamed tater chunks and broccoli.

19 Likes

So you’re where I saw that recipe! :smiley:

All I remembered was, that it’s on my ever expanding email-to-self list of things to try.

2 Likes

Hi,

In my 6qt. Dutch oven, I line the interior with foil. This smoke took about 15 minutes, so I used 2-3 T. of pecan dust (they sell this very fine grade of chips for indoor smokers, like Cameron) on top of the foil. I prep the salmon by placing each piece on a piece of parchment paper cut to its size and laying them on top of a rack that will allow circulation (I used one of those collapsible steaming racks). Running the vent on high (and with open windows), I heated the pecan over medium high heat to get it smoking, placed the rack with the fish over it, and then put the lid on to cover. Sometimes I use extra foil on top if I think it might leak. This didn’t. I turned the heat down to medium for the first 10 minutes and then to medium low/low for the last 5.

I’ve done this a few times and it works fine for fish and chicken wings (those I usually then broil or bake at high heat to crisp after). I haven’t tried it on anything larger form yet. Clean up is pretty easy, although having Barkeeper’s Friend or something isn’t the worst idea if you get some dark spots on the enamel after (or care about that). I am thinking about getting a stainless DO (or similar) for future endeavors.

2 Likes

Great, much appreciate the details - thanks!

Sure. Also - the heat source that gets the dust smoking is induction, fwiw. When I used to do this on my gas range, I started on medium. This Samsung one seems to do better starting at medium high and then turning it down. Everyone’s range or cooktop has its quirks!

1 Like

Oh, fer sure. 25 years this year since we first met, and not one single regret - did I mention he serves me coffee in bed every morning? Both cups?

Yeah, he’s a keeper. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

This looks really great! I’ll have to save that recipe, since I love shrimp and feta, orzo and fennel seed. It’s like that dish was made with me in mind :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love that Knorr hollandaise. I sometimes turn it into faux béarnaise, too. Such a quick fix, and so satisfying.

1 Like

Beautiful foods, and how nice to see your friend again!

1 Like

Hosin(tương ăn phở) and Sriracha are unusual Sauces to use with Bún.
Did you also have Nước Chấm/ Prepared Fish Sauce for them?

Ladies night on a rare Tuesday. One member of our posse who moved to Philly a while back was going to be in town very briefly – just for an overnight, but her plans changed. We had a goodly number of beshes RSVP, so it went down anyway.

The menu this week is on the smaller side for some reason, and I was hoping to get the duck meatballs or the fried sanddab filet as my cocktail pairing.

I told the bar dude to hold off on ordering the meatballs while my friend and I went outside to smoke, and when we came back, the last order of meatballs had been given to someone else. Another good example of why smoking is bad for you, mmmkay? :roll_eyes:

Got the sand dab filet instead, which came with a lovely spicy remoulade sauce. Hoping to get those damn meatballs when we hit the bar again on Friday before catching The Big Lebowski at the theatre.

‘twas nice catching up with my gals.

17 Likes

Und keine Brezel?!
Do not blame there actually, every “Bavarian” Pretzel I have had in the US has been disappointing at best.
Taken to making them myself instead.

1 Like

I am a terrible, terrible German and should probz give up my passport :wink: as I don’t care for pretzels at all (tho my PIC is a big fan), and don’t lose my ish over sausages, either.

Aber nicht weitersagen, bitte :joy:

“Some Schweinshaxe Perhaps?”

:sweat_smile:
I know also Bavarian, may be you are not.

5 Likes