What's for Dinner #103 - the Extra 24 Hours Month Edition - February 2024

I tasked the BF with making the most tender meatballs possible, and he aced it. He thought he may have gone a tad overboard with the panade as he used more white bread than called for - they were really as tender as the polenta in texture! Still, really delicious, and his marinara was spot-on. a ball of bufala mozz on the side with some basil serving as vegetable. Happy Friday, everyone.

27 Likes

Sardinian rice salad from a circa 2003 cookbook. Someone on here recommended Eat Your Books and I’m enjoying rediscovering my older cookbooks via the service – plenty of recipes I’ve never tried in those old books.

Anyway this has capers, cornichon, kalamata olives, hard boiled egg, canned tuna, and lots of lemon and EVOO. Very satisfying!

25 Likes

That looks delicious - would be great for a picnic. Could I trouble you for the recipe?

3 Likes

this is SO right up my alley!

2 Likes

I can tomorrow! :grin:

3 Likes

Tonight was a bit of cheung fun I brought home from another delicious Chinatown visit with HO friends

Last night, one last batch of Ants Climbing a Tree to finish up the ground turkey I had cooked with all the “stuff”.

I’ve been switching up the sauce a bit for the noodles, which has been fun. Yesterday I used two I haven’t used in a while, one was a chilli black bean sauce and the other a fermented chilli garlic paste someone had mentioned here but I didn’t like as a dipping sauce. Well, as a cooking sauce, superb!

Also prepped and cooked a pile of snow peas with ginger and sesame oil.

25 Likes

Sunny day #2, I’m in hog heaven. In keeping with the theme: Pork tenderloin, beer bbq sauce, roasted brussels & carrots in bacon grease, splash of bourbon, maple syrup and the bacon. Salad, oak leaf, little gem, radicchio, celery, dates and pistachios, honey mustard dressing.

23 Likes

A wonderful evening at my home away from home,Dali Restaurant in Somerville, MA, with a friend.

Sangria was poured, we got prime seats at the bar. All was right in the world as tapas came out.

Sangria. LOTS of sangria!

Garlic Shrimp and grilled bread.

Baby lamb chops with an apricot sauce.

Roast duck with blackberry sauce.

Chorizo with caramelized onions and butter beans. (Needed more beans, less onions.)

Churros with chocolate and dulce de leche sauces.

There WAS plenty of Cuarenta y Tres with the churros as well.

T’was a really good Friday night.

27 Likes

Thank you!

Seeing your pics of Dali always makes me miss it, but in the best, warm and fuzzy way of bringing back happy memories.

2 Likes

Your salads always look so good! (All of your meals look good but the salads especially. )

1 Like

For dinner tonight I made a Halifax donair, which is a Maritime delicacy similar to a döner kebab or a gyro sandwich.

I found out about it via this recipe:

Also written up and adapted here:

I made some fresh pita for it using this recipe more or less:

I thought it came out pretty well. The sauce, which is made with evaporated milk, sugar, and vinegar, is sweet unlike with döner kebabs and gyros.

32 Likes

Last night we had pan seared chicken thighs that had been dusted with Martha’s Creole spice mix garlic/EVOO sauteed baby broccoli and a little TJ baguette.

21 Likes

This looks fantastic, and is something I’ve long wanted to try making. Were you happy with the recipes from LAK?

I’ve also had an eye on an Alton Brown version, but I like the looks of yours.

1 Like

Wow!

1 Like

Thank you so much! My mom almost always made a salad to have with our dinners, and I still make a riff on her dressing. I swear if I don’t have a salad for more than a couple of days in a row I crave it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Temp on the loin looks poyfeck!

1 Like

That pita looks fab! So… is the döner/donair made with fish loaf, not meat?

It’s what I always strive for, but seldom achieve. And it cut like butter.

3 Likes

And now all I can think of is Coffee Talk with Linda Richman. :smile:

4 Likes