What's for Dinner #103 - the Extra 24 Hours Month Edition - February 2024

Pomfret and friends?

1 Like

Carnitas from scratch. Homemade refries from garden cranberry beans. Arroz rojo. Sriracha mayo. Pico de gallo. (Storebought tortillas).

I ate three tacos.

21 Likes

I made the trending shrimp scampi recipe with pappardelle. A few handfuls of spinach were stirred through. Sides of steamed broccoli and crunchy kale slaw with sweet poppy dressing (which I neglected).

21 Likes

Maybe it was here that I originally saw it posted? Can’t recall, but it’s been made and posted multiple times, and it was my turn. LOL

Ohh, I like the idea of the alioli on a chicken or or egg salad! Will have to try it out. The squeeze bottle is in the fridge, and it should keep for a week.

4 Likes

This is always my issue when I make homemade mayo — needing to use it up fast!

If you eat grilled cheese or panini, spreading some allioli on the outside of the slices yields a really crisp crust.

If you want to try an eggless allioli next time, I like Jose Andres’s recipe below. You can make it in an immersion blender in a jar or glass — puree the garlic with the lemon juice first, then add the oil and emulsify. Second link shows the technique as toum.

https://www.food and wine.com/recipes/aspen-2005-traditional-catalan-garlic-and-oil-sauce-allioli-a-la-catalana

6 Likes

Take 2 of Ants Climbing a Tree.

With the correct noodles, acquired today.

(@Shellybean I thought I bought them in Flushing Chinatown early in the week, but the lady put the wrong ones in the bag, and I was already down the path last night before I realized :joy: — so rice vermicelli got used last night, mung bean thread tonight,)

At least I had made all the ground turkey at one go. I made some extra sauce for the noodles today, and the balance was a lot better. Plus the chew of the noodles makes a big difference.

I did think about using Korean sweet potato noodles last night, but those are much chewier than mung bean threads. And then I wonder why I have so many types of pasta in stock :rofl:.

A big pile of gai lan alongside, because my vegetable quota for the day was barely touched by our Filipino group lunch :grimacing:

19 Likes

Actually, tilapia and friends.

1 Like

I substitute mung bean and sweet potato noodles for each other if I have them. I can only get mung bean here so I kind of have to now.
Sadly this dish made my picky eater mom decide she dislikes mung bean noodles because she claims with the soy sauce and bean paste they look like worms and she can’t eat them. :unamused:

I mean, ants, worms, ya know, it’s all in the eye :joy:

2 Likes

Thanks. I’ve been using the same iPhone 12 to take photos for a while. It’s possible that I’ve tweaked my editing of the photos in PS Express to make them seem more natural.

1 Like

Tonight’s dinner was a chicken pineapple red pepper curry served with rice.

14 Likes

I was wondering yesterday if that would be a legit sub - I prefer them.

1 Like

Using sweet potato noodles is fairly common. In fact I’ve seen plenty of recipes that specifically call for sweet potato noodles and ones where no differentiation is made when it comes to “glass noodles” — they can be any clear noodles made from starch.

https://www.reddit.com/r/chinesefood/s/jOw0Ml6Cay

https://www.reddit.com/r/asianeats/comments/o0h63p/sichuan_glass_noodles_under_10_minutes_ants/

https://www.simmerdownwithviv.com/ants-climbing-on-a-tree

Specifically calls for sweet potato noodles and mentions “glass noodles” as a substitute:

4 Likes

Dinner was barside at one of our favorite haunts. Small plates, Turkish inspired.
BABY YAM KUMPIR** chickpea chermoula, lime crema, pistachio
MERGUEZ MANTI** potato leek stew, kale, nigella, chili butter
GARLIC SHRIMP LAMEJUN** meyer lemon, pomelo, shatta
BRAISED YUBA GYRO** mushrooms, cabbage, avocado, horseradish
The standouts were the baby yam and the gyro. Although we enjoyed all of it.

Baby yams

Manti

17 Likes

Dry pot, aka (as one recipe put it) clean out the fridge, and your sinuses.

So this came out very well, but there’s a whole spice oil component that was a pain in the ass and added - as far as I could tell - nothing to the finished product. In the future, I’ll just use chili paste, garlic, ginger and Sichuan peppercorns. And be done with it.

15 Likes

I also dined inside a restaurant for the first time since Dec 5, 2021. For anyone who is curious, I am very cautious because I am vulnerable. I have been running a few threads here and on Reddit trying to find spaces that have better ventilation or spaces that are less busy before opera and concerts.

I’ve had a few posters write to ask if I dined out indoors. I did. I usually get takeout and eat it at home, in my car, or outside.

Will I dine out inside often? Probably not. LOL.

This is my CO2 monitor, which I take with me into restaurants, coffee shops, music venues, subway trains and any other indoor spaces.

I am keeping a list of restaurants in Toronto that have better ventilation, tables spaced further apart and good food. AloBar does all these things on Saturdays before the opera or the ballet. It’s probably busier, with less ideal ventilation during the week when the expense accounts are dining out in the Financial District, although AloBar’s prices are high for what it serves, so its tables might be less full than The Keg chain steakhouse across the street. :blush:

11 Likes

Sure.

2 Likes

I personally think they’re too chewy for this dish (though I love them in Japchae so I tend to have them on hand).

I thought the rice vermicelli worked fine, but was actually planning to use capellini if I hadn’t made it to the store (it would actually have worked better than the rice vermicelli because it has more of a chew).

(I don’t know about sweet potato noodles being common in Chinese dishes – I’ve rarely if ever seen Chinese brands for them. For eg WOL suggests using Korean brands for the few Chinese dishes they use them for like Suan La Fen, which would otherwise use fresh potato noodles, like chow fun is meant to be made with fresh rice noodles but wide Thai rice noodles will work in a pinch.)

2 Likes

They are used in Sichuan cooking:

The first link mentions using them as a substitute for mung bean noodles in ants climbing a tree, but people like chef Wang (his channel is focused on Sichuan food) call for sweet potato noodles specifically.

1 Like

Yes, I know – I mentioned Suan La Fen. Sichuan cooking typically uses fresh noodles for that, as with fresh ho fun for chow fun elsewhere. But I wouldn’t describe that as common use. I haven’t seen a Chinese brand of sweet potato noodles commonly found in stores here, same as I haven’t seen Chinese brands of dried ho fun – the blogs suggest wide Thai rice noodles if you have no access to fresh ho fun.