What's for Dinner #103 - the Extra 24 Hours Month Edition - February 2024

I mean… I would totes go back just to have that salad again. And maybe the mussels with trout roe :star_struck: :yum:

1 Like

Man, we absolutely killed it at the game last night. Might have to “invest” our winnings in a dinner out next week – someone recently posted a perfectly cooked elk steak that’s calling my name :star_struck:

Got band practice here in a bit since our new tunes clearly need it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:, then gotta hit the store to procure poblano chilis & cilantro for the moqueca de camarao I plan on making tonight. A member of my local home cooking group recently posted their recipe, and it sounds right down my alley. I have everything else needed in the house: shrimp shells for stock, shrimp, coconut milk, tomato paste, onion, garlic, and diced tomatoes. Kinda stupid I have to run out for two things but I didn’t trust my PIC to get the right pepper when he was out earlier :joy:

The final dish will be served over steamed rice.

8 Likes

Made Hungry Huy’s Thit Kho last night at my sister’s. Pork belly and pork shoulder braised in a coconut water, fish sauce, salt, and water broth. Hard boiled eggs were overcooked, but the recipe actually has you first hard boil and then put them in the broth for 30-40 mins! And also calls for like 8 eggs! We used two each, and even though I undercooked them to begin with, I’d put them in for much less time. Homemade caramel gets added in, plus an onion. I added more fish sauce and salt until I got the perfect sweet/salty combo. The onion is supposed to get removed but it was too delicious. Comfort food! Since I’ve been doing the lo-cholesterol thing, pork (much less pork belly) fixes are few and far between. This was well worth whatever it did to my arteries. :stuck_out_tongue:

18 Likes

Looks delicious, and I’m glad it was a satisfying way to get your fix.

The eggs being over-cooked is the nature of a lot of these dishes honestly. Same thing with Taiwanese lu rou fan. The egg gets the flavor at the expense of texture.
One way to get around it is remove some sauce and just let the eggs simmer for a little bit then marinate in it while the rest of the dish cooks. Or having less flavorful eggs that you add at the end. I marinate when making tea eggs, but for a dish like this that has to keep cooking I just roll with the texture of the long-cooked eggs.

4 Likes

Another great dinner at https://www.pausasanmateo.com/ in San Mateo

Beet salad, sunchoke puree, blood orange, fennel, caramelized sunchokes

milk-ved veal tartare, truffled parmigiano, sauce, crispy egg yolk, chicories, bone marrow demi-glace

Charcuterie board - prosciutto di parma, porchetta, wagyu bresaola, salame oregano, salame cotto, tigella, cunza, pickles, whole grain mustard

Tuscan kale spaetzle, pork pancetta, controne beans, crispy spigarello, pecorino romano

Saffron casarecce, braised pork sausage sugo, crispy lollipop kale, grana padano

Confit pork ossobuco, sunchoke puree, crispy truffled sheep ricotta gnudi, pork demi-glace, lollipop kale chips

Passion fruit & banana parfait, roasted banana gelato, caramel cayenne, chocolate crumble, passion fruit foam, sponge cake, chocolate tuile

Apple cinnamon financier, cinnamon mousse, financier sponge, almond cookies, poached apple, apple sauce, apple tuile, white chocolate snow

16 Likes
2 Likes

I had it in my head tonight to make rendang, but wanted to try it with fish. Arctic char was my fish of choice. I started with Hot Thai Kitchen’s Beef Rendang recipe as my jumping off point. I played with the rempah a little, using a mix of fresh and dried red chiles (1 habanero, 2 Fresno, and 4 chiles de arbol), and adding some black cardamom and coriander seed to the other ingredients. Macadamia nuts (12 of them) stood in for the candlenuts. I cooked the paste in avocado oil for 5 minutes and then added the coconut milk , tamarind concentrate, and salt (sparing on the salt because this will cook down for a while). Once it was all incorporated and at a simmer, I covered it and put it in a 250F oven for 90 minutes, stirring every 20 minutes or so. Then I added the kerisik (ground, toasted unsweetened coconut) and a pound of skinless, cubed arctic char fillet. I stirred that through, covered it, and returned it to the oven for another 9 minutes. Before serving, I checked for seasoning, added a little fish sauce, and stirred in slivered lime leaves, lime zest, and the juice of a small lime. We had this with a jasmine rice and pea pilaf. It was fantastic!

22 Likes

Steamed shrimp
broccoli
snow peas

Green salad

12 Likes

My BIL and SIL were married on Leap Day, so are about to celebrate their 6th Anniversary .

They always commemorate with spoon lamb.

1 Like

The moqueca.

I looked up a few recipes online & winged it from there. The woman in my cooking group had used lemon juice for her version, whereas I thought lime would be a better match. I also added ¾ of a red bell pepper to up the veg content a bit. The bird peppers added a kiss of fire to the comforting blanket of rich coconut milk, and the cilantro & lime gave it a fresh, grassy finish. Dunno if it’ll go into rotation, tho - we were both not blown away by it, and if I’m gonna use shrimp and coconut milk I may as well make a proper Thai curry - but it was mighty tasty for a simple Sunday supper.

AND I used a new recipe – just in time for the week to be done :sweat_smile:!

17 Likes

Ive heard of spoon roast (beef, here in New England) but never spoon lamb. Any idea what it entails?

A nice relaxing day.

Went with a pork tenderloin tapas (Pinchos Morunos) raved about on one of my FB food boards. An excellent rave!

It was augmented with a sautéed spinach with Mediterranean pine nuts (skipped the usual raisins) on leftover Near East rice pilaf with Serious Eats’ garlic alioli squozen over top of everything. (I now have a LOT of garlic alioli to use in the next week! Suggestions are welcomed!)

Wine.

https://www.seriouseats.com/spanish-style-allioli-olive-oil-garlic-mayonnaise-recipe

16 Likes

Aioli is great with steamed veg (broc or asparagus) or on top of HBEs - kind of a riff on œufs mayonnaise / deviled eggs.

French fries, too, of course.

5 Likes

It’s funny that that old milk street recipe is having a revival here and on your FB food group!

Love alioli!

Tortilla espanola and patatas bravas come to mind :grin:

This sorta-bravas recipe is really good, no deep frying needed (I usually skip the boiling step with no loss to crispness).

https://www.foodgal.com/2016/08/kinda-sorta-patatas-bravas

ETA: I bet the alioli would make a plain old chicken, tuna, egg, or potato salad special too.

6 Likes

Wow, that all looks outstanding, will have to try Pausa soon…

1 Like

We enjoyed another outstanding dinner at Jasper Stone, in Spotswood, NJ, including an awesome steak tartare with truffled mushrooms, capers, shallots, and a quail egg; squid ink pasta with peekytoe crab, breadcrumbs, and green chili; plus our usual favorites of lobster ceviche, hamachi sashimi, Misoyaki butterfish, and creamed spinach. It all went great with our favorite red blend and an excellent cabernet.

15 Likes

9 Likes

Your photos seem better, no heavy “orange” tint anymore! New phone/camera or working with the “settings”?

2 Likes

Pomfret and friends?

1 Like

Carnitas from scratch. Homemade refries from garden cranberry beans. Arroz rojo. Sriracha mayo. Pico de gallo. (Storebought tortillas).

I ate three tacos.

21 Likes