What's for Dinner #103 - the Extra 24 Hours Month Edition - February 2024

Peeetttzzzzzaaahhh!!!

Half a ball of Market Basket Enriched English Toasting Bread pizza dough, some Pomi crushed tomatoes with onions, augmented with Penzeys’ Italian herbs and some tomato paste, roasted broccoli, quartered salami segments, caramelized onions, shredded mozzarella and a sprinkle of grated Parm-Reg

Should have added some garlic powder to the roasted broccoli or the sauce. :woman_shrugging:

Baked in a 45 minute-preheated 450° oven for 12 minutes. Not too bad!

Wine.

23 Likes

another of the shaved celery and fennel salads we’ve been talking about. Also: grilled apple sausages and roasted parsnips.

17 Likes

Lidia’s squash soup with orange, onion, bacon, sage and bay.

The recipe calls for a butternut (also good), but tonight I used an Illinois crookneck from our garden surplus. Savory herb biscuits on the side.

25 Likes

Low carb Salade niçoise. Smoked salmon, tomatoes, green beans, calamata olives, red onion, hbe over mixed greens and little gem. Oo, white wine vinegar, Dejon mustard, garlic, capers, anchovy, s&p dressing.

20 Likes

We enjoyed another outstanding dinner at James on Main in Hackettstown, NJ, including duck kofta with homemade pita, and a refreshing salad of carrots, pomegranate, pine nuts, and fresh mint; diver scallops with lobster butter, chestnut mushrooms, and wood fired corn cake; rabbit cannelloni with taleggio, sweet potato velvet, dark chocolate & roasted poultry glace; wood fired beef brisket ragout with black truffle ricotta gnocchi, local hog cheek bacon; chili crunch calamari and rock shrimp; butternut squash soup with fresh baked oatmeal raisin cookie; crispy hand cut french fries. It all went great with an excellent cabernet and Zinfandel.

13 Likes

Postponed another dinner out tonight, by consensus to hibernate — too cold to venture afield!

Ants Crawling a Tree for dinner — what a terrible name for a delicious dish :joy:

I’ve had this on my to-make list forever, but somehow never ended up getting around to it. Tonight was my first attempt at the recipe.

So deliciously savory! I had planned to do something more to the bok choy after steaming it, but a bland foil was needed for the deeply flavored noodles.

21 Likes

Duck confit pappardelle at AloBar in Toronto. Fell off the Lenten Pescatarian wagon on day 4. Lol.

19 Likes

Did you use capellini (I know you mentioned using pasta sometimes for Asian dishes)? It doesn’t look like glass noodles.
I love this dish, both the wet and dry version, though I think I like dry more. It also comes together really fast, which makes it even better.

1 Like

I REALLY need to make this again! And next time I visit the restaurant that started this avalanche I will let them know how far this ‘recipe’ has traveled :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s…umm…a bit disturbing. :laughing:

2 Likes

A member of one of my many food groups suggested that, instead of giving something up for Lent, you should add something. Like a kind gesture a day or some such. Or an apple. Honestly, I don’t remember what else it entailed, but then I’m solidly in the heathen camp & don’t have to give up anything :smiling_imp:

Plus being nice seems like it should be an all year thing :wink:

4 Likes

Oh, I’ve loved it ever since I was first introduced to that version. It’s groovy, baby!

Yes please do!

1 Like

I mean… I would totes go back just to have that salad again. And maybe the mussels with trout roe :star_struck: :yum:

1 Like

Man, we absolutely killed it at the game last night. Might have to “invest” our winnings in a dinner out next week – someone recently posted a perfectly cooked elk steak that’s calling my name :star_struck:

Got band practice here in a bit since our new tunes clearly need it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:, then gotta hit the store to procure poblano chilis & cilantro for the moqueca de camarao I plan on making tonight. A member of my local home cooking group recently posted their recipe, and it sounds right down my alley. I have everything else needed in the house: shrimp shells for stock, shrimp, coconut milk, tomato paste, onion, garlic, and diced tomatoes. Kinda stupid I have to run out for two things but I didn’t trust my PIC to get the right pepper when he was out earlier :joy:

The final dish will be served over steamed rice.

8 Likes

Made Hungry Huy’s Thit Kho last night at my sister’s. Pork belly and pork shoulder braised in a coconut water, fish sauce, salt, and water broth. Hard boiled eggs were overcooked, but the recipe actually has you first hard boil and then put them in the broth for 30-40 mins! And also calls for like 8 eggs! We used two each, and even though I undercooked them to begin with, I’d put them in for much less time. Homemade caramel gets added in, plus an onion. I added more fish sauce and salt until I got the perfect sweet/salty combo. The onion is supposed to get removed but it was too delicious. Comfort food! Since I’ve been doing the lo-cholesterol thing, pork (much less pork belly) fixes are few and far between. This was well worth whatever it did to my arteries. :stuck_out_tongue:

18 Likes

Looks delicious, and I’m glad it was a satisfying way to get your fix.

The eggs being over-cooked is the nature of a lot of these dishes honestly. Same thing with Taiwanese lu rou fan. The egg gets the flavor at the expense of texture.
One way to get around it is remove some sauce and just let the eggs simmer for a little bit then marinate in it while the rest of the dish cooks. Or having less flavorful eggs that you add at the end. I marinate when making tea eggs, but for a dish like this that has to keep cooking I just roll with the texture of the long-cooked eggs.

4 Likes

Another great dinner at https://www.pausasanmateo.com/ in San Mateo

Beet salad, sunchoke puree, blood orange, fennel, caramelized sunchokes

milk-ved veal tartare, truffled parmigiano, sauce, crispy egg yolk, chicories, bone marrow demi-glace

Charcuterie board - prosciutto di parma, porchetta, wagyu bresaola, salame oregano, salame cotto, tigella, cunza, pickles, whole grain mustard

Tuscan kale spaetzle, pork pancetta, controne beans, crispy spigarello, pecorino romano

Saffron casarecce, braised pork sausage sugo, crispy lollipop kale, grana padano

Confit pork ossobuco, sunchoke puree, crispy truffled sheep ricotta gnudi, pork demi-glace, lollipop kale chips

Passion fruit & banana parfait, roasted banana gelato, caramel cayenne, chocolate crumble, passion fruit foam, sponge cake, chocolate tuile

Apple cinnamon financier, cinnamon mousse, financier sponge, almond cookies, poached apple, apple sauce, apple tuile, white chocolate snow

16 Likes
2 Likes