What's for Dinner #103 - the Extra 24 Hours Month Edition - February 2024

Postponed the dinner out i had scheduled with friends…

Rooting around in the fridge, found some arayes I had saved for myself last weekend and forgot to eat.

Then remembered I had started dough for bread or pizza. So, tiny personal pizza and arugula salad to follow.

Didn’t feel like peeling and segmenting an orange, so just zested it into the dressing. Some slivered almonds for a crunch. (Will probably eat the orange for dessert, now that I am well fed and have the energy :joy:.)

19 Likes

thats a wild selection! Not to different from my calling family members sweetie! Seriously I doubt if I have ever had any of these wild and crazy varieties, including fat ones. But for inexperienced me the best were the ones our hosts sent their servant to the market for for when my daughter and i were staying in Indore quite a number of years ago. I would say, a standard recipe. Even warm, a whole bag of them was a ittle bit much.

1 Like

If they wake you in hunger, you might really appreciate a timer feeder!

1 Like

Caesar salad with a nice BC King salmon. Homemade dressing, and croutons from home-baked bread.

22 Likes

Swedish-style fish and potato soup made with halibut, cod, and shrimp. Inspired by this Swedish salmon and potato soup . Omitted bay, added carrots and parsnips.

20 Likes
3 Likes

I bookmarked the recipe - looks great!

1 Like

BF cooked up some spinach and cheese ravioli we had in the freezer, made a garlicky oil with parsley for a sauce (went a little overboard - had to kind of drain mine!) Still, tasty, with my crispy fried shallots on top, and lots of parm regg. little tomato salad on the side.

17 Likes

Fajita Friday. Chicken fajitas, flour street tortillas, pico, crema. Avocado, radishes, black olives.

20 Likes

Mrs. P made sausage and peppers and onions with Andouille sausage. It went great with an excellent Napa cabernet.

19 Likes

I am so impressed with your portion size! (Also everything looks very pretty.)

That fluke looks wonderful. Might need to try that!

Last night I went to a movie then dessert/drinks with one of my meetup groups. I dined at a Chinese restaurant near the theater before the show and I had noodles with pork and peanut sauce - my favourite! Then off to see The Promised Land. We went to a brew pub down the street for dessert and coffee. I had a chocolate mousse cake to die for and a coffee.

17 Likes

I had gone to my local grocery store as they had potatoes on sale. I decided to wander down to the meat department to see what was on sale/clearance. I found some boneless pork on clearance, so that became dinner. I asked Sunshine how she wanted her pork and was told “Shake and Bake”. I don’t know if “Shake and Bake” Pork goes with baked potatoes, but that is what I served. Pickled beets were the vegetable. Sunshine finished off her Valentine’s Day candy as dessert.

22 Likes

Shake and Bake pork definitely goes with potatoes. It’s essentially oven schnitzel, or oven (pork) nuggets, and both go with potatoes!

What meat doesn’t go with potatoes? :rofl:I just alternate potatoes/ pasta/ pierogies/ rice / polenta/ bread with my various proteins, regardless!

Pierogies also go well with oven schnitzel!

6 Likes

Lemon and capers are such a great combination. A favorite at casa lingua.

2 Likes

Movie night at casa lingua with one of my PIC’s old grad school buddies. A double feature with a very good movie and an absolutely terrible movie, during which we mostly caught up on our respective goings on.

Sustenance was provided by the new Detroit pizza joint in town: their absolutely addictive garlic dill pickle,

triple threat (very generous with their aMAZing vodka sauce this time :heart_eyes:)

and hot honey pepperoni – which we hadn’t tried before.

I could’ve used more heat from the honey (natch), but that’s where the RPF come in. The blobs of ricotta on the nicely charred pepperoni is a nice touch.

Yeah, I know. No cooking again ovah heah. Well, guess what! I couldn’t if I’d wanted to…. bc when I went into the kitchen to make popcorn for us, the stove didn’t turn on.

Looks like our remodel team did something to the connection, and they’re currently here to fix it.

Not that there will be any cooking tonight either, cuz we’re invited to my bassist’s poker game - the first in well over a year. Festivities start at 7pm, so we’ll assume there will be food stuffs.

Got a lil surprise snow last night, too :heart_eyes:

19 Likes

They have one. And even with its regularly timed drops, they’re still waiting and hollering for their wet food. Believe me, they’re NOT starving. :laughing:

10 Likes

Munchies for grazing while we watch our kitty recover from sedation for pet dental work earlier today.

First:

Then, shrimp balchão (from Thali, by Maunika Gowardhan):

And hummus and pita, because, hummus and pita:

All together now:

23 Likes

Everything looks good, but I LOVE balchao :star_struck:

3 Likes