Pho Vinh - 16B Vogell Road, Richmond Hill ‘ - Giving a neighborhood eatery a try based on other people’s reviews!

Due to inclement weather and being too lazy to cook. For tonight’s dinner, my visiting kids from downtown and I decided to give this neighborhood Vietnamese joint a try. The ‘unexpectedly queer‘ tasting profile of some of our dishes resulted in one of the most challenging reviews I have tasked myself with writing!

Beside the regular Pho, with a well seasoned and delicately flavourful broth. The rest of our order, including even the iced-coffee, all featured some unfamiliar and even weird flavor components……albeit quite tasty and enjoyable.

The Vietnamese Curry Chicken was fragrant and exotic tasting. However, a heavy handed ‘celery’ component rendered the dish foreign tasting and un-curry like. The supposedly familiar tasting Butter fried Chicken wings were wonderfully crispy but somehow totally void of butter aroma. Instead, a savory but foreign tasting coating managed to save the dish. Both the Tomato and Carrot based Beef Stew and Crab soup rice noodles ( Bun Rieu ) were all quite enjoyable tasting, but again both dishes contained some unacquainted taste components. Even the Vietnamese iced coffee tasted like a cross between coffee and cocoa?!

Overall, a fairly enjoyable meal featuring some acceptable but ‘Weird‘ flavor elements.

3 Likes