What's for Dinner #103 - the Extra 24 Hours Month Edition - February 2024

Variation on mansoor dal - red lentils cooked in water and coconut milk with onion, garlic, ginger, brown mustard seeds, fennel seeds, cardamom, turmeric, red pepper flakes. Finished with some wilted spinach and lime juice. Served with diced tomatoes and some coconut flakes.

18 Likes

I know :wink:

Another fellow salad lover!

1 Like

Best wishes to them for good recovery.

1 Like

Mouth on fire Sichuan after a long time.

Cumin fish fry pot was fabulous — fish wasn’t over-battered, perfectly fried, and the balance of vegetables was really good.

Chef’s special sautéed beef was mostly fire, but the meat was well-cooked and tender. I would’ve ordered something with a different flavor profile, but my friend really wanted the beef — and then couldn’t eat more than a few bites because it was too spicy. (Sweet soju quelled the flames a bit.)

Had a brief wander through Flushing beforehand:

16 Likes

@paryzer I’m always interested in your wine pairings. Do you ever share them on the wine thread? Would be a great resource!

1 Like

Gringo tacos with Impossible beef for meatless Monday

22 Likes

Thank you! I tried sharing some wines on the wine thread a while ago, but there didn’t seem to be much interest, so I stopped.
Mrs. P and I are strictly red wine drinkers. We enjoy the bold red wines like cabernets, Malbecs, Shiraz, Chateauneuf Du Pape (anything with dark ripe fruit and a little peppery kick).

6 Likes

Oops, I was unclear in my post. I made a slurry (using about 3T water and 3T cornstarch, just enough to get it fully hydrated), and then added that to about 3 cups of liquid (so, about one Tablespoon of cornstarch per cup of sauce to be thickened).

I reboiled what was left in the pan and that seemed to do the trick, thanks! I’m always afraid of cooking cornstarch too long but clearly it can take more heat than I think. All of the other ingredients in the pot (the tofu especially) probably also bring the temp down even when the liquid is boiling.

1 Like

My usual method for thickening with a corn starch slurry is to bring whatever needs thickening to a boil, add some of the slurry (maybe half) while stirring vigorously, and then cut the heat as soon as I reach the thickness I want. Add more slurry and continue stirring as needed. Works pretty well.

5 Likes

This is my MO as well.

2 Likes

I boil without fear. I’ve seen enough recipes for various things that add cornstarch from the beginning and then keep boiling and nothing happens in terms of thickening. Plus all the pastry cream I’ve made and seeing the disaster that can ensue if not boiled long enough (thankfully I’ve only done this like once or twice in hundreds of attempts). So I’m just conditioned at this point to make sure it’s thoroughly cooked.

4 Likes

I made bastardized chicken thigh gumbo with tomatoes, and with Italian crushed chiles from a grinder rather than cayenne, to see how it turned out, since one dining companion seems to like cayenne less than other spicy red peppers. I also made Maque Choux last night.

Happy Fat Tuesday, everyone!

10 Likes

Yeah, it’s quiet over there. You could always link back here for the WFD folks to read more, as many of us do when we post to other threads.

1 Like

My son borrowed my cast iron skillet to make this giant chocolate chip cookie from a New York Times recipe. It turned out really well.

21 Likes

DH cooked - Thai yellow curry with chicken and tofu over brown rice. I’m pretty happy with how brown rice of all varieties comes out of the IP. This was really good drizzled with a previously made vinegar-garlic-chili condiment.

27 Likes

My guy made cheeseburgers. Been to many burger places in many cities but his are the best. We had no buns so this is on half a Portuguese roll. Usually it’s a brioche bun.

I always put crisps/potato chips on mine - love the crunchy addition

23 Likes

Chicken gumbo orzo, leftover maque choux and a nut-free Waldorf for Fat Tue.
Pulled pork (no photo).

25 Likes

DIY Cobb salad tonight . . .

27 Likes

March COTM nominations are open, and February’s thread for Cookbook Ethiopia is still ongoing: