What's For Dinner #102 - the Out With the Old Edition - January 2024

+1 to all if this

I turned Cincinnati chili from the freezer into beef and cheese enchiladas rojas. I think the leftover chili has found its true calling in this dish. Leftover jerk gb and pineapple as sides. One enchilada (of the two) was enough after a late lunch.

18 Likes

Replacement en route!

1 Like

Kids these days. Can’t live with them, but it’s apparently illegal to just kill them - whatcha gonna do?

FWIW, that looks 5-star to me. Especially for a first try. And your ingredients list seems (to me) to be spot-on. I make a lot of scampi because shrimp is one of the few animal proteins my sorta-veggie daughter now eats, and your “ad-hoc” recipe is nearly identical, except for the Old Bay. Which (for crab instead of shrimp), I would probably add anyway.

Yum to your soup, but really I’m eyeing the roll with the correct amount of butter in the corner :yum:

2 Likes

I used to have really, really bad jet lag. As in, if I fly just 6-7 hours East timezone-wise, from US east coast to anywhere in EU, I didn’t sleep for 3+ days at all. (*)

Many of my trips were in the Frankfurt area, so if I had meetings Wed-Fri, I would fly in Saturday trying to acclimate myself, so that I’d finally get a night’s sleep before the Wed meetings. There’s a Sheraton associated with the Frankfurt airport where I’d stay, and of course the main Hauptbahnhof is right there, too. I got most of my meals Sat-Tues getting Brot, Käse and various Wursts from the kiosks in the plaza around the Hauptbahnhof, while trying to get my circadian rhythm to figure its shit out. Good times, actually, some of my most favorite meals - except the not sleeping part.

(*) But then I found the fix for this was to eat/drink nothing on the flight over, except water. Some study I had read about avoiding jet lag. It worked for me, but might have just been placebo effect. But in any event, once I started declining all the first-class goodies, I slept just fine once night-time happened on the day of my arrival.

2 Likes

Thanks for the compliment! I was actually thinking of crab cakes, but when I pivoted to pasta to make it more appealing to the kid, I just figured that I’d copy the flavor profile of the cake. Next time, it’ll be cakes.

1 Like

I do so love NYT cooking gift links since I cut back on all of my subs a few years ago when I retired.

Thanks so much!

3 Likes

Yes, the clarified butter is infused after straining with some herbs and spices, but ime that’s pretty delicate vs the aromatics and ground spices that come into a recipe later. (Like blooming whole garam masala in ghee at the start of cooking something Indian, vs the rest of what goes in.)

I mentioned Alicha because there’s nothing by way of heavy-flavored spices in the dish (turmeric for color, hint of ajwain maybe), so the main flavors are the niter kebbeh and the aromatics, which include a pile of onions. So it does taste buttery in the end, vs dishes with berbere, where the spice blend is the predominant flavor.

Kind of like baking a cake with butter vs oil – in a really plain cake, the fat flavor will be discernible, but in a chocolate cake or cake with other strong flavor elements, it would be harder for most people to detect (excludng olive oil cakes where it’s deliberate).

1 Like

That looks like a very good repurpose, intentional choice even!
(And kudos on the portion control)

1 Like

Simple and hot is often great. My wife has a bad cold and when I was planning something stupendously stupid (I am known for stupendously stupid), she said…

• you remember those chicken pot pies we took from Mom’s freezer? That’s what I want.

So that’s what we had. Just a “simple hot meal” like you said. Although yours took a lot more technique than mine tonight.

:slight_smile:

8 Likes

Its raining here . Its a good night for Frittata .Cheers.

19 Likes

Well, any night, raining or otherwise is always a good night for frittata!

3 Likes

Low effort dinner - oven roasted vegetables with sausages. Potatoes, carrots, onions and cherry tomatoes are roasted in the oven with thyme, aceto balsamico, honey and oil. Sausage are briefly seared in a pan before added to the vegetables for the second half of the 40 minutes of roasting.

18 Likes

Lengua tacos

17 Likes

I’ve posted the new February thread here:

7 Likes

Me, too. Sadly, my gift subscription to NYT wasn’t renewed this year, and I realized I so rarely cook recipes from NYT Cooking (for some reason they don’t have a great track record here). But I am always curious to see what others here are cooking and the recipe!

1 Like

That all looks amazing! However, I must know more about the blue cheese stovetop popcorn. Is it just popcorn tossed with blue cheese or is there a sprinkle of some sort involved?

2 Likes

Thanks for the explanation. I miss Ethiopian food :sob:

1 Like

Thank you!