What's For Dinner #102 - the Out With the Old Edition - January 2024

That is beautifui!!

1 Like

I still have the silver baby spoon, the cup and the baby bowl from when I was a baby. My mom saved it for me for when I moved out. Like you, I never used it but it is a nice memento.

4 Likes

I fell in love with it as an adult in D.C. and haven’t had much luck finding good restaurants (or even ANY restaurants, mostly) here in the South. We do have one Ethiopian restaurant downtown but last I heard it was vegan. For a cuisine that leans heavily on niter kibbeh, that seems a little odd. Maybe they make it work. :woman_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

True, and yet most of the flavor is from spicing, so while the buttery flavor would be missing, the spice profile wouldn’t fall short.

Thinking of my favorite preps, and the only one I would miss it in is alicha.

(Similar to indian food without ghee – that’s one of the reasons why ghee is most often used for finishing rather than as the cooking fat, because as the latter the flavor gets absorbed into everything else, and it’s so much richer and more expensive that it’s kind of a waste.)

1 Like

Bet! Heading back for May & June - which is practically around the corner.

I find at our age time truly does fly, especially while having as much fun as we tend to do :smiling_face:

1 Like

My children love injera, and it is a proud parenting moment for me!

4 Likes

Yikes split crabs thanks small texting keyboard

impressive!

oh, MY, I’M IN LOVE! (or, probably just lust. :stuck_out_tongue:)

1 Like

The arctic char became chowder at BF’s request this evening (he had a choice between that and tacos). The fish went into a 250F oven with a little salt and oil for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, I added 3 cups of water to my Dutch oven, 1 T. BTB lobster base, 1 large shallot (chopped, medium), 2 celery stalks (chopped, medium), 12 oz. russet potatoes (chopped, medium), 6 oz. frozen roasted corn, and 3 bay leaves. I let that simmer until the potato was cooked through. Then the fish came out of the oven and I took the skin off. I mashed up some of the potato and stirred it into the chowder to thicken it. Then a big splash of half and half. We flaked up the arctic char and divided it between two bowls and then ladled on the chowder. It got garnished with scallions and black pepper before we ate it. For an improvisation, it was quite good!

24 Likes

Thank you for reminding me about those threads! Yes, I do tend to makes some things that might be more labor intensive than they should be on a weeknight. I think part of the problem is that even though I’m technically all healed up from the surgery last fall my body is still recovering. I get way more tired now than I used to. Getting old sucks! :crazy_face:

I went with an improvised chowder tonight. I told BF that if I decide to cook tomorrow I will text him what to take out of the freezer to thaw. I don’t want to risk pulling something now and not wanting to cook it 22 hours from now!

5 Likes

I was thinking of your recovery and thought that might be part of the whole equation. Healing takes time, and self-care! But food is a big part of our self-care as food-lovers, we know that by virtue of being here!

Chowder looks great!

3 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

A delicious, super homey dish from Hot, Sour, Salty, Sweet called noodles with pork, greens, and gravy. This version was rice noodles, 1/2 lb ground pork, cabbage and broccoli for the greens. I doubled the sauce cause I love saucy noodles!

21 Likes

A modified version of a sheet-pan dinner for rosemary-paprika chicken and fries (gift link). I like making individual portions in a cast-iron skillet, and don’t add the spuds until I turn the chicken skin-side up.

Served with a lemon-garlic yogurt sauce, and green salad on the side.

18 Likes

Stunning bowl o’ food :heart_eyes_cat:

1 Like

Tonight’s dinner was baked Tilapia, rice-a-roni and peas. Just a simple hot meal for dinner.

16 Likes

I had an appointment today so I had to run around in the pouring rain. I believe we got the tail end of California’s pineapple express/atmospheric river. When I got home all I wanted was a Boulevardier and a bowl of chicken noodle soup. Chicken soup base from the freezer (#leftovers), I added new noodles and warm garlic ciabatta with tpstob. I had Dinner Time With David Chang.

16 Likes

Second PT appointment today was spent mostly mobilizing, some ultrasound massage and laser treatment, since the exercises I was given last week only seemed to exacerbate the pain. The whole area is angry AF right now, but the PT guy had warned me about that. Shit often has to get worse before it gets better, so here’s hoping! :crossed_fingers:t3:

Picked up a few staples at the supermarket for the household afterwards, but there won’t be much of any cooking the next few days - too many social ‘obligations’ until basically Sunday :partying_face:

Tonight we went out with a bunch of friends to a local seafood place with the cringe name Crazy Boil – certainly not the most appetizing choice, but the place was solid when we went well before covid. A member in a local food group whose opinion I trust had posted about it recently and really liked it. It seems to be some sort of Viet/Cajun fusion place.

Our table shared grilled oysters with garlic butter (not as good as what I had in NOLA), beef & lamb skewers that were fab: juicy, fatty, cuminy, with a little kick of heat, and then everyone go their own mains – crawfish, shrimp, mussels, and a hungover lady who had Cajun stir-fried corn and steamed broccoli. Note that lady was not I :smiley:

We all ordered the ‘crazy boil’ or Cajun sauce extra spicy, and while the flavors were nice – high on the garlic and who knows what else, the heat level was neither extra nor spicy, but it left a pleasant tingle on our lips. A messy AF meal, but highly enjoyable & fun catching up with our gang, whom we hadn’t seen in a while.

Now to enjoy blue cheese stove-top popcorn and more episodes of the terrifying show Archive 81 :smiling_face: :scream:

15 Likes

I guess I was thinking of the recipes I’ve seen where the butter itself is also spiced separately as its own component?

1 Like