What's For Dinner #102 - the Out With the Old Edition - January 2024

Sigh. I bought a four pack :frowning:

I usually “blanch” in the microwave — submerge in water, pinch of salt, bring to a boil and let it sit for a few mins.

If as @Shellybean says it’s the peas themselves, adding a pinch of baking soda while blanching might help. (Just a pinch, I hate the residual taste.)

4 Likes

That’s weird. But I usually just pour some peas into a 1 qt pot, add water, salt and butter, and bring to a quick boil, then drain. Never had a problem.

3 Likes

Home again, so it’s been the back-home-favorites time!

Beef chow fun and Young chow fried rice from the local place (call time to front desk time: 9 minutes, I timed it :rofl:). I started with some plump shiu mai (frozen, from a Flushing dim sum place, so good). Enough volume for dinner, breakfast, lunch, and another dinner :grin:.

Sushi (forgot to take a pic of the rest of what we ordered, but @shrinkrap’s raw fish explorations prompted me to take a pic of my platter itself).

Tonight’s plan is a Kathi roll — TJ’s kababs, big chapatis made expressly for kathi rolls from home, plus egg coating, pickled onions, and assembly by yours truly. Let’s see if I’m awake enough to execute, otherwise more Chinese food for me!

24 Likes

They are back!!!
Managed to make a rare purchase of this Floridian Gem at " Sun Food Supermarket " at Kennedy and Denison, Markham…Red Strawberry Spotted Grouper.
Steamed whole with julienne ginger, scallions and cilantro. Finished off with seasoned top soy sauce and sizzling oil. Extremely fresh as reflected by the 'cooked head '!
😋👌👍

18 Likes

ooh, those look yummy! how are they prepared? don’t say air fryer don’t say air fryer don’t say air fryer… :laughing:

2 Likes

Flour tortillas and (split) pitas both make very good in-a-pinch pizza!

2 Likes

Looks absolutely delicious!!

Welcome back!! Hope the jet lag goes easy on you!

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ve got a busy couple of days, which usually helps delay hitting that afternoon wall.

Have been fighting it off today for a few hours already, another 2h awake and I’ll be golden!

3 Likes

Looks fantastic to me!

1 Like

Leftover porchetta (reheated) sandwich on Stonefire garlic mini naan with hot cherry pepper spread and pickled okra on the side. I have decided that porchetta is really all about the leftovers.

19 Likes

A rainy day, but at least the temps are up and continuing to climb. I’ll take it!

Both of us were totally blanking on WFD tonight, but we knew we didn’t want to cook. So, we ordered Indian for delivery. We have two Indian restaurants and one Pakistani place (which is far better than the other two places) in town, but it’s been amazingly skimpy with the meat in their butter chicken. Overall, however, all 3 are pretty mediocre, but then I can’t recall ever having any Indian food anywhere that blew my mind :woman_shrugging:t3:

We opted for saag paneer (med-hot) and chicken makhani (hot) as we felt like spicy food tonight, garlic naan & papadam. Unfortunately, neither of the mains were particularly spicy (I also actually had wanted mutter paneer, but my PIC messed up the order & I didn’t catch it either before he sent it off into the ether).

I’d whipped up a pseudo “Indian” dip as the green stuff that comes with their food is usually a tiny portion: Greek yogurt, a dash of cumin & toasted coriander, 3 blobs of frozen cilantro, s&p, done.

There was also a cloyingly sweet sauce I’d never gotten before with our orders that we tossed immediately. Blech.

Prolly shoulda cooked instead :joy:

12 Likes

Oof, all your porchetta pics are just fabulous and envy-inducing!

ETA: How are you cutting such perfect slices?

3 Likes

I’m so lucky to be living near a farm that raises pigs on pasture and then makes things like porchetta with it. All I did was roast it. They also make charcuterie and their Italian sandwich made with it is outstanding.

3 Likes

Does the bag say “peas” or “petite peas”? Regular peas, as @Shellybean pointed out, can be starchy, regardless of cook time.

Does your microwave have a button labeled “vegetables”? Mine does. It seems to work pretty well on vegetables (fresh or frozen) that I’ve placed in a microwavable bowl (I have a 1.5 quart Pyrex that has a glass cover) with a pat of butter, a pinch of salt, and a tablespoon or two of water. The setting seems to sense how long whatever is in the bowl needs and just gets it done.

3 Likes

And now we all know what to do with one should the opportunity present itself - thanks for sharing!

1 Like

My insanely generous friends gave me a hand-made chef’s knife a couple of years ago that cuts through things like this like butter. I don’t use it all the time because I am afraid I will amputate something but it is astonishing to use apart from the fear factor.

ETA: I see that is a dud link. Here is the knife in all its glory when I first got it, next to a different porchetta. I am nothing if not predictable.

16 Likes

I have found Ina Garten’s pea soup recipe to make even the woodiest of peas edible.

3 Likes

There are knives, and then there is skill.

2 Likes