What's For Dinner #102 - the Out With the Old Edition - January 2024

Ooh, what a pretty fishie!

1 Like

Have you tried microwaving the spinach instead of blanching? I’ve started briefly microwaving some vegetables before cooking to pull off excess water. Spinach is less soggy, Brussels sprouts crisp up beautifully etc.

5 Likes

For the Brussels sprouts, could you elaborate on your exact method pls ?

1 Like

Leftovers.

Ribs (from our standing rib roast), burrito (stuffed with leftover masa) and roasted veggies

16 Likes

Those are the most delicious leftovers I have ever seen!

1 Like

Used up the last of the chicken I poached earlier this week in some chicken tinga tonight. Also, a spicy mezcal margarita.

21 Likes

:drooling_face:

2 Likes

A roasted adaptation of this recipe

2 Likes

My keyboarder picked up the PSTOM (probably around 4 lbs.), blanched broc & rice around 11 am – just about an hour before the storm hit.

We managed to get to the fishmonger to pick up a 1/3 of a bag of escargots I split with two of my Fb food group members, and took advantage of their 40% off sale: 2 lbs. of beautiful scallops :smiling_face:

We also swung by the supermarket for cilantro and coconut milk in case I needed it (I didn’t). It also makes zero noise when you shake it :thinking:, and I tried 5 different cans. Glad I still had a can at home :open_mouth:

What I DIDN’T have, however, was limes – which I found out well into the late afternoon, when the snow had been coming down steadily for 4 hours (I was getting ready to get my mise on). And so, we trudged over to our buddy’s place through the winter wonderland to pick up two limes for our dinner tonight: wild-caught cod in a Thai red curry broth with sweet peas, Chinese eggplant, and red peppers. Extra heat from chopped up bird peppers to keep us warm. And LIMES. What can I say, I prefer my curry on the limey side :smiley:

It’s absolutely stunning outside, and the snow always makes everything so quiet and peaceful :star_struck:

Looking forward to dinner and another movie.

21 Likes

I dont know about the snow being comfy. I just used the snow blower for a hour and a half on my long driveway. My back is sore . I guess wine time is starting a little early today. Lol

10 Likes

Thankfully, it wasn’t insurmountable, and my PIC did the shoveling for now :smiling_face:

Enjoy the rest and the wine - you deserve it!

2 Likes

The snow is great during the snow storm - everything is quiet and relaxing and you enjoy it. The minute any storm ends and you have to go outside for the rest of the winter it is just miserable - either wet and slushy or freaking cold (at least in Boston at -20C) and icy

3 Likes

Comfort food ahead of the storm: yellow rice bowl with very spicy andouille, smoky/spicy collards with pork from the farm (I bought 3 quarts of this goodness and froze in individual servings :drooling_face:), roasted Campari tomatoes, pickled okra. My mouth is tingling still. Snow starts overnight here in Maine.

25 Likes

Looks great

1 Like

I’ll enjoy it while it lasts :woman_shrugging:

We got less than three inches, followed by a bunch of freezing rain. Very difficult to clear, and mom cannot shovel at all. She cares for an even-more-elderly and completely homebound friend though, and so I had to get our long driveway cleaned so she could easily get in the car and out to the street.

A pretty young kid knocked on our door offering to shovel. I declined, then reconsidered. Called him back from across the street and let him shovel the driveway and front walk of the extremely wet, rain -covered snow we got. Best decision of my week. I noticed he was wearing cowboy boots and was without a true winter coat, both of which were quietly concerning in the conditions. He told me I should pay what I was comfortable paying, and I took him up on it. I hope he took home a nice chunk of change today.

We planned shrimp today, and had intended to steam them, but absent-mindedly shelled them. I prefer them to be steamed in the shell, so I pivoted to sauteeing them in garlicky butter, finishing with our beloved seafood seasoning. They were from the groc store (I usually buy from a fishmonger) but were marked “wild” and were actually quite good. I also managed to not overcook them, which helped.

B-sprouts and roasted cauliflower to go with. I ate mine in a bowl bec we were parked in front of the Steelers game :slight_smile:

23 Likes

[quote=“mig, post:196, topic:37146”]
He told me I should pay what I was comfortable paying, and I took him up on it.
[/quote]

A good kid. Hopefully he earned a decent amount from you and your neighbors.

3 Likes

Tonight was tofu and mushroom jorim with garden greens over brown rice, which was fine. Not mind blowing. I did sear the mushrooms, tofu, and aromatics first but it was still not super exciting – better with kimchi and gochugaru. DH made a cucumber and tomato salad in ponzu that wasn’t great - no oil, I think. We were kinda uninspired. I also roasted Delicata squash and tossed it with sesame oil and seeds.

19 Likes

“It” has started in my area. We’ll see how much of the white stuff is there in the morning.

Tonight was a medium-rare cheeseburger with bacon and caramelized onions on a lightly toasted brioche bun with ketchup on the bottom bun. SO freakin’ good!

Sides were Lamb-Weston fries, and a salad of green leaf lettuce, radishes, quartered large cherry tomatoes and shredded carrots with Penzeys’ creamy peppercorn dressing.

There was wine.

25 Likes

Looks tasty! Similar to my lunch out :grin:

1 Like