What's For Dinner #102 - the Out With the Old Edition - January 2024

I emailed :slight_smile:

They have been great in the past so :crossed_fingers:t2:

4 Likes

I had forgotten I had Spain On A Fork bookmarked until @mariacarmen mentioned it. I found a great recipe for tuna salad, Ensalada de San Isidro. Toasted baguette with garlic butter and Manchego cheese. There was a G&T and Cuarenta y Tres sangria.

20 Likes

Another giant salad, courtesy of the BF, with another beautiful soft-boiled egg…

21 Likes

I think we talked about the garlic crabs I had in mumbai, were those mud crabs? they were delicious! My client had to pull me away from the table :rofl:

at least half my colleagues were asian, so I had great guides throughout my journey.

1 Like

DH manning both the grill and the deep fryer tonight. A USDA-prime, 2-lb. bone-in rib-eye with reverse sear. Russet potato chips. My contribution included tossed salad greens, a pie made of garden sour cherries (stonefruit from frozen which I put up last season), and homemade vanilla ice cream.

24 Likes
5 Likes

About six months ago, I was challenged that I never ate leftovers. This was ridiculous as I consider leftover Chinese and pizza to be cherished snacks. But as for homecooked leftovers, apparently I let them go to waste.

Several times I made jokes, saying, “Here, let me wrap that up so we can throw it out in three days”.

Everyone else stepped up, so I figured to do my part. Some dishes do not reheat well. At least this brisket was still amazing.

8 Likes

Meatless Monday (is that still a thing?) homemade flatbread pizzas. One with ricotta, broccoli, and garlic. The other had roasted zucchini, mushrooms, and onion.

If we can have Meatless Monday, we can certainly have Martini Monday.

22 Likes

I forgot how much fun it is. I remember the first time I used it. I borrowed it from work as I was going to be teaching a pasta making class using the Philips and wanted to try it out. We were very surprised at how easy it is and quick. I wasn’t paying attention when the pasta started extruding long before the timing suggested by the manual. I’ve rearranged my storage for better access.

2 Likes

I didn’t see anything in your post except this. :wink:

2 Likes

You guys are killing me with the crab. When I was a kid it wasn’t unusual to have crab here. In fact, my mother recalls me being two years old and cracking and picking through crabs by myself with a rock I had. :joy:
Now if I mention crab everyone here acts as if it’s an impossibility to obtain some. I know a lot of our seafood goes to tourists by way of all the resorts, plus restaurants in the capital, but it still seems it shouldn’t be so difficult to procure some. All I want is a crab empanada. :sob:

3 Likes

lol, I grew up in a fishing community where one could catch a huge bucket of crabs in about 45 minutes. over time the waters became overfished and polluted, not sure if anyone still crabs there. People set crab lines not far from our place in Florida but apparently, they share the space with alligators so I’ve never given it a try, despite my wife’s someone constant urging :rofl:

3 Likes

There are very few dishes where I actually look forward to the leftovers. I can count them on one hand.

Ironically, this topic came up in the first epi of David Chang’s new cooking show, Dinner Time Live with David Chang. Nobody was fond of leftovers.

1 Like

My rule is, if it’s alliterative, it’s a real thing.

Although personally, it’s possible that I might die if I went a day without meat.

:slight_smile:
Nice pies!

3 Likes

WFD: the Endless Mississippi roast, part trois – that is, in the form of tacos. Crisped up the meat a little, fried up the tortillas, added fixins (diced onion, cilantro, herdez avo salsa, lime, pickled jalapeños, avocado). We each had two, and there still is roast left!

My PIC made his killer margaritas. I had two. He may have been ever so slightly disappointed about the difference between art and reality, however :joy: :joy: :joy: #IYKYK

17 Likes

I’m kind of the opposite, as long as you’ll accept “like them about as well as original” for “look forward to”. That’s to say, I generally like most leftovers. But on a strict reading of “look forward to”, like as in, “ooh, great, I get to have this again”, it is a fairly short list.

Mostly soups, stews, chili - things that tend to have flavors enhanced with a bit of time (I fairly often make these a day in advance and refrigerate on purpose). And any kind of beef, pork, or lamb. But not chicken, with one exception that fried chicken leftover and eaten cold, picnic style, is fine.

10 Likes

Missed opportunity for Wings Wednesday? French Fries Friday? (Actually we had the latter at our house growing up, my dad fried them up fresh — except we called them “chips” then, so not alliterative :joy:)

1 Like

Speaking of leftovers… :wink:

1 Like

Most dishes just don’t reheat well - soups and stews aren’t it. So, yeah, one of my favorite leftover meals is my PIC’s yuvetsi, although it still tastes best fresh.

Some things (like soups or stews or braises) actually benefit from an overnight stay in the fridge.

2 Likes

Had to look that one up; now I’ve got to make it the next time I grind some lamb. The kids who eat meat will love it, so maybe I’ll save it for a holiday when they’ll be around. And I’ll have to make my wife something else…

1 Like