What's For Dinner #102 - the Out With the Old Edition - January 2024

A rainy day, half of it spent in bed with the Chonkster (that would be my cat, not my PIC :wink:), and half on the couch catching up with a dear friend in BA via google meet – we’d last connected just before she and her partner spent 4 months in Greece last year while working remotely, then talked to my sister for another hour. I think I’m all talked out for the rest of this week :no_mouth: :face_with_spiral_eyes:

WFD was a bunch of leftovers: more of last night’s tender beef, a few fingerlings I steamed, then smashed and fried up, the broc we didn’t have yesterday with a quick, extra lemony hollandaise, and leftover salad. We also finished the last of the baba I made … whenever that was :grimacing:

Think we did a good job resisting the siren (i. e. instagram) call of our Detroit-style pizza joint to try at least one of their new creations (Big Mac pizza, Mexican street corn, Nashville hot chicken among others), but I’m super-happy to have regained a bunch of real estate in our fridge, and the pizza will still be around next week :wink:

16 Likes

I knew there was a good reason I got an induction range! :joy:

1 Like

Talking with with Chonkster, friend, and sister.

You’ve had a busy day. Leftovers dinner sounds like a good way to go!

1 Like

MOAR roast left. Prolly will be turned into 'dillas mañana :partying_face:

1 Like

Baked spinach and artichoke pasta. Brined and baked chicken breasts (seasoned with Penzeys Galina Street rub) to go with.

19 Likes

Dim sum for lunch put Whole Foods on my path home, for several things they had on sale.

Dinner, however, was centered around the spontaneous purchase of a stuffed scallop which I wasn’t quite sure what to make of, but looked like it would be tasty :joy:

I decided to speed up cooking by starting the stuffing cake in a pan to seal and brown, then scooping it back into the scallop shell to finish cooking in the oven while I prepped the rest of the meal.

Accompaniments of steamed broccoli with butter and capellini aglio olio.

Very tasty! I’ll have to get that scallop cake again, had never even seen it before.

Dessert: another slice (okay, okay, I’ll stop lying — two!) of yesterday’s cake.

22 Likes

Yay Niners! :partying_face:
Beef stew over cauliflower mash, tomato, cucumber, red onion, salad, oo&v dressing, fresh dill. A warm baguette and butter.

24 Likes

I am up to cooking again, hooray, except I don’t really have that much food in the fridge. But enough to make chestnut and carrot soup with balcony parsley, which is obviously immortal. And braised leeks with the last of the dried morel mushrooms (sob). Tune in tomorrow when I try to figure out what to do with half a head of celery and one red onion!

24 Likes

Dinner was leftover brisket/gravy, as promised, on a toasted steak roll with some melted provolone. Man, that hit the spot.

Martini. Small brownie for dessert.

11 Likes

We often get a shrimp/scallop cake at WF, similar to a a crab cake. Nice with a side salad for lunch or dinner.

2 Likes

What makes the braised leeks red - the liquor from the reconstituted morels, or?

How do you brine them?

No, tomato paste. It turned out to be essential!

My Family always made a Turkey Barley Soup with Thanksgiving Carcass. What made it special (to us at least) was that it had Parsnips and Dill, never saw the combo anywhere else. Still one of my favorite brothy Soups.

2 Likes

These come out moist and tender, and a colorful spice blend adds eye-interest and flavor. I like using taco seasoning for a TexMex vibe, or (as here on WFD) an all-purpose pork and poultry rub.

Dissolve ¼ c. Morton kosher salt in 1 quart of warm water. Set aside to cool a bit.

Split chicken breasts along the equator, and soak in the cooled brine for 15-20 minutes.

Remove from brine, pat dry, season with salt, pepper and spice blend of choice.

Bake on a rack at 450 degrees for 12-15 minutes until internal temp reaches 165.

2 Likes

I’ve got some catching up to do.

This was Friday night; roasted harissa/orange chicken thighs. I really liked the blend of sweet/savory/spice, but my wife was just so-so about it. She’s already biased against thighs as a “served whole” piece of meat anyway, preferring breast for that application, but she likes thigh pieces fine in stir-fries or shredded uses.

The recipe I sort of followed didn’t call for it, but I defatted the pan juices and thickened with a bit (too much) of corn starch, and served with extra-long grain basmati and cheat salad (a supermarket bagged butter lettuce blend).

I made 4 of 8 thighs from a family pack for the above, saving the other 4 for Saturday night, which was equal amounts of breast and thigh roasted, then shredded for chicken enchiladas because 2 of our kids were home for the weekend and requested that (no pic, sorry).

16 Likes

Dill, yes, but I’ve never had it with parsnips. Years ago, the legislative office building I worked in had a cafeteria (state subsidized! Cheap eats!) that made from-scratch turkey barley soup. I was in heaven when it showed up on the menu and I could take a cup back up to my desk! I didn’t do a turkey this Thanksgiving, so the all-important turkey carcass was missing.

2 Likes

best of luck with the parental units health issues… it’s not easy.

3 Likes

Wednesday and Thursday my wife was gone and I can’t spell “wife was gone” without the letters “L-A-M-B”, despite, technically speaking, none of the latter 4 being present in the former.

I got a cryovac of a whole lamb leg with a bunch of the sirloin flap attached and broke it down into a roast, the shank, a small sirloin, a sirloin cap (in beef called a bunch of names like top sirloin cap/rump cap/rump cover, coulotte, picahna), the femur from the roast, and about 180 grams of hard fat to use in sausage later.

I made the roast Wednesday night on the grill with mixed apple/hickory smoke, having butterflied and salted at 1.2% and rubbed with 10 cloves of grated garlic and a bunch of fresh rosemary, about 6 hours before beginning to smoke it.

I smoked the big bone and any meaty scraps too small to deal with at the same time, then tossed those in the instant pot with some leftover roasted chicken bones to make a Frankenbroth.

Here’s the roast, partially sliced. I’ve got a bit left that I need to get eating, and my son and daughter both stole some to take back home with them.

I had the 2 sirloin pieces Thursday night. Here they are ready to cook, and as-cooked, pan-seared on my grill’s side burner in a ripping hot (as the “foodies” say) CS skillet.

I treated the picanha-like piece like I would if I were skillet searing a beef picanha including cross-hatched scoring of the fat cap to get salt down to the meat on that side. A lot of recipes tell you not to cut through to the meat, but under that tasty (once crispy) fat cap is a pretty heavy sheet of silverskin, and I didn’t want it pulling up into a football shape. The I goofed and took the as-cooked photo with all that crispy niceness hidden underneath.

The smaller piece seemed like the membrane sheets were light enough not to matter, but I was wrong - it pulled up into a gnarly-looking ball. I should have sliced it into fairly thick coins instead. But both were very tasty and nice medium rare, and I decided I didn’t need any side dishes that night.

Still have to do something with the shank. I wish more of the kids were home because braising one shank seems dumb, but I’m not sure I want to go buy a bunch more to braise together if I’m the only one eating them.

21 Likes

I love Mississippi Roast but I use the NYT recipe which is a bit less low brow :rofl: