What's For Dinner #102 - the Out With the Old Edition - January 2024

Trader Joe’s now has both sauce and paste, I want to say?

2 Likes

Drool

1 Like

Cantonese style minced beef over rice

29 Likes

Sprayed with cooking spray, baked at 450 for 10 minutes, rotated, and 450 for 10 more (but keeping watch the last few minutes).

Was going to air fry but decided to just bake them. They were excellent.

3 Likes

Chuck eye is the ‘poor man’s’ rib-eye. The chuck part is nice and beefy, and the rib part… well. Delicious in its own way.

Halibut and chips (McCain), with an egg-lemon sauce that unfortunately curdled a bit.

13 Likes

Well, I’ve now experienced that first-hand!! Glad I did.

1 Like

Unfortunately the nearest TJ is another 15 minutes past the Korean grocery. My fault for moving farther out away from the city, 20+ years ago, to get away from some of the congestion.

I just want to have my cake, and eat it, too.

:crazy_face:

2 Likes

Maybe it is the peas! Over the past few years, I’ve found that frozen corn packaged as “ corn” is dry and starchy, like feed corn. I now only buy “ super sweet corn” which cooks and tastes like corn cut off the cob.
The petite peas at Trader Joe’s are my favorite. They cook quickly and are sweet and tender.

3 Likes

TJs canned corn with the yellow label is the BEST FREAKING canned corn ever!

2 Likes

Totes agree. One of the few canned veggies that are better than a lot of frozen brands.

2 Likes

Paste is stronger, sauce is diluted with various things.

You can always try the sauce if you don’t want to go out, just use a bit more and supplement with chilli (and doenjang or miso, if you have either).

2 Likes

And they’ll taste good on the pasta, even as subs.

Miso butter pasta is delicious, true that.

1 Like

I’ve got a lighter and a darker miso (don’t remember the actual type names). I hadn’t considered using them on noodles, so thanks for the suggestion. I mainly just make light soup/broth with them, and sometimes add a bit to thicker soups.

“Miso butter” (ie miso mixed well with butter) is great with / on many things – noodles, steak, mushrooms, onions, rice, you get the idea! (I use light miso for this because I only stock light… also doenjang, gochujang, etc but those are cousins.)

Some folks would have you mix them well to completely incorporate before using, but if you’re just cooking with it vs. plating, they’ll mix just as well in the pot :joy:

3 Likes

I’ve always loved these:

Miso in risotto is amazing, too, whether as a boost in something like mushroom risotto or as the main flavor.

7 Likes

Miso butter is new to me. When you make it do you use 1 part butter : 1 part miso? And when you use gochujang in noodle dishes, is it part of a sauce or do you use it to coat the noodles?

(This is why I love HO. I’m learning so much!)

Brilliant! I never thought of using miso to cook risotto.

1 Like

I’d say taste your miso before you decide proportion, because they can vary in strength. Start with 1:1, see how you like the flavor, and then adjust. I tend to go higher on miso because I like the flavor and also I’m using light miso.

Re noodles, you can thin it a bit, but it’s not a “sauce” – it just gets absorbed into the noodles as you toss them.

I’ll try and find a recipe that might be more illustrative.

ETA:
Here’s the simplest form, just miso and butter, with parmesan and nori to finish (both unnecessary imo, but create different dishes, as does adding garlic).

This one adds mushrooms, and miso butter mushrooms are delicious on their own, so they’re obviously great with pasta too!

Here’s a compound butter over steak.

8 Likes