What's For Dinner #102 - the Out With the Old Edition - January 2024

Ooh yum!

1 Like

ImpeNding :joy:
(Freud much?)

3 Likes

I made a serious eats beef chili recipe using leftover prime rib beef cubes instead of the ground beef called for. That was dinner last night along with corn bread and a pickled veg tray

27 Likes

Pumpkin curry was Sunday night dinner. Had a small pumpkin and vegetables that needed using, so I was delighted to find this pumpkin curry recipe. The recipe adapted well to ingredients that I had in the house.

The leftover curry will be thicker in consistency. Alas we were too hungry to wait, which would have allowed the curry to cook down more.

25 Likes

We enjoyed another sensational dinner at Jasper Stone in Monroe Township, NJ, including lobster ceviche with Coconut Milk, Ginger, Aji
Dulce & Black Mint; beef carpaccio with Thinly Sliced Beef Tenderloin, Arugula, Artichoke, Caper, Lemon & Olive Oil; Hamachi sashimi Nikkei Style, Yuzu, Gluten Free Soy, Aji Amarillo & Herbs; skirt steak; red wine. raised mushrooms and cipollini onions; Glazed Black Cod, Crispy Rice,
Baby Bok Choy, Ginger & Yuzu. It all went great with an excellent Chateauneuf Du Pape and Zinfandel.

15 Likes

February COTM voting is happening now. Join us on this thread:

1 Like

A breakfast for dinner from a few days ago. Bacon, broccoli, roasted red pepper and cheese omelet wit a pair of sourdough toast.

27 Likes

Food looks great!! I went through the photos first before reading your commentary…thought those mushrooms were one generous portion of ’ Escargots '!! :yum: :rofl:
Seems like nowadays, be it up north here in Canada or down south where you are, most food we ordered and enjoyed seemed to have some form of ’ Japanese Fusion ’ components to them?! :thinking:

3 Likes

Leftover porchetta (dare I say I enjoyed it more tonight, reheated?), braised endive, roasted cocktail tomatoes, barley lentil pilaf. The tomatoes were very acidic, great pairing with the lentil pilaf.

24 Likes

Icelandic lamb soup based on this recipe.. Unfortunately, it was incredibly bland even though I used on the bone lamb neck as the stock base. I blame the local, flavourless lamb. If I try this again, I’ll be using imported meat. The local stuff, though fresh, tastes literally like nothing. After dinner, I threw in a parmesan rind and simmered the soup a bit longer. At least it imparted some flavour to the leftovers.

10 Likes

Grießschnitten, a Swiss semolina, cheese and egg slice,

lamb harira, and tikka masala ( from a bottle) chicken

20 Likes

It’s my sax/clarinet player’s 70th, which he is celebrating with a gig in his hometown (of course he is!). We were hoping to join him for this celebration, but the cold & a bitchy toof for which I will need yet another root canal didn’t put me in the mood for a 2.5 hour roundtrip. Hibernation is where it’s at these days :grimacing:

I had two beautiful, ginormous rainbow trout filets in the freezer, and my PIC was in the mood for piccata… because nothing lights up a dreary, cold day like the bright tartness of lemon, the bracing salinity of capers, and the grassiness of fresh parsley - all enveloped in the silkiness of butter :yum:

Steamed some broc and baby taters to go with, which also got lubed up with that wonderful sauce.

25 Likes

:heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

1 Like

Fish tacos, cilantro slaw, pintos and rice.

24 Likes

Did you fry the fish?

Gorton’s did. Meh. The Aldi beer battered are much better.

I usually only deep fry when I camp.

Milk Street’s Turkish lentil soup with the addition of baby spinach. Homemade chili oil and lemons for a kick. Yogurt-based naan on the side.

21 Likes

Buttery garlic noodles with Dungeness crab. Garlic sauteed in butter, added rpf, crab, lemon juice, squared spaghetti and a bit of the pasta water, parsley. Caesar salad, parm, homemade dressing and croutons. Wine.

25 Likes

Pasta with Italian sausage, kale, leek, shallots, parmesan, white wine, pasta water

19 Likes

Thanks! Everything was delicious.
Yes, I’ve noticed quite a few Asian fusion restaurants and dishes the last few years. We have a French Korean fusion restaurant, a Japanese Italian fusion restaurant, plus several restaurants feature one or two dishes with Asian influences. I am all for it :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes