What's For Dinner #102 - the Out With the Old Edition - January 2024

I had intended on having the last two chicken skewers from the freezer with a Greek salad. But the temperature took a dip today so I wanred something warm for dinner. I had the skewers with a rice pilaf.

22 Likes

Baby spinach in house vinaigrette, topped with hard boiled eggs, bacon lardons and scallion greens. Inspired by @mariacarmen, there were crispy, Kennebec shoestring potatoes as croutons. Still using up the holiday gift of Cougar Gold, I baked sharp cheddar cheese biscuits to go along with.

22 Likes

Baked crab cakes (using a modified Jacques Pepin recipe) and slow-cooker risotto. These would have been so much better fried, but whatever.

31 Likes

Stuffed cabbage rolls from my friend with white tail deer . On a bed of cabbage and Brussels sprouts

Mashed potatoes on the side . Cheers.

28 Likes

(post deleted by author)

1 Like

Air-fried catfish and whole wheat fusili, with an egg-lemon sauce and grated Romano.

21 Likes

OMG, meal train. I feel like I should be drawing a paycheck - I’m doing one practically every week.

Linguafood, I still fantasize about that pickle pizza you enjoy from a local place. My son is on his way up to your town to hang with friends for the weekend and I would like him to check it out, maybe bring me home a pie. Can you share the name? Or message me?

5 Likes

Of course! The place is called 8 Mile Pizza, and I highly recommend both the garlic dill pickle pie and the triple threat (vodka sauce, pizza sauce, pesto).

Hope he doesn’t eat it all on his way home :wink:

4 Likes

The soup I’d made for my grieving friend was very well received – in fact, she regretted being polite and not taking more (even tho I told her we had plenty, and zero plans of eating it ourselves since we’ve had So Many Soups lately), as the family pretty much finished it all. That makes my heart sing :blush:

The rest of the soup is coming with me later to our first show of the year at a local cidery, so I can dump it on my keyboarder*.

We’re debuting two new original songs tonight, one of which is about food & body image, and that took me almost a year to finish. I’m pretty proud of it & excited to finally perform it in public. It’s also sortakinda ladies night in that a bunch of my gal pals are showing up, but many with their peens in tow. I can groove to that :dancer:t3:

The early evening show also means no cooking at casa lingua for a change YAY, and the venue has a lovely selection of eclectic small plates like French onion soup dumplings, Reuben spring rolls, and chicken tikka dip. In any event, I suspect that nobody will go home hungry.

We also booked our flights & digs for Berlin this summer, the prospect of which makes the current subzero temps far more bearable – only 3.5 more months :partying_face: :dancer:t3: :sunny:

*not literally, sillies……well, unless he messes up a lot :smiling_imp:

14 Likes

Vegetable (eggplant, onions, sweet potatoes, carrots & daikon) curry with sprouted germ white rice, the Japanese equivalent of chutney known as “fukujinzuke”, and a side salad at the restaurant inside “Miharashi-no-oka Aisaihiroba”, a permanent farmers market in Komatsushima, Tokushima.

The restaurant only uses vegetables sold at the farmers market. Due to my stomach issues caused by bell peppers/“paprika”, I had to give the red & yellow peppers on the curry and salad to my friend who went there with me.

The curry was Japanese style, quite mild and delicious. I guess there was some time of pepper(s) in the curry, too because it gave me the typical indigestion/heartburn caused by them when eaten, but even without taking some Tums, the issue went away in its own.

The cost for this meal was ¥850/USD $5.75.

23 Likes

Agree with this! Sweet and a little earthy, I want to say.

A quick, simple dinner tonite.

A turkey tenderloin covered in the last of some Schlotterbeck & Foss Caribbean Mango Sauce blended with a sploosh of white wine and baked in the convection oven on regular heat until done, spooning the “sauce” over top twice.

Served on leftover rice pilaf with steamed green beans alongside.

Wine.

21 Likes

Chicken chili verde (boneless thigh baked in TJ’s salsa verde) on yellow rice with avocado, radish and pickled okra. Easy, tasty.

24 Likes

Calamars Au Vin Rouge (squid braised with red wine), accompanied with smashed red potatoes. I didn’t follow a published recipe, but it came out great! I sweated carrots, celery, shallots, and garlic in olive oil, then added tomato and tomato paste. Red wine went in and reduced for a bit. Then water and a 1" cube of chicken demi. Thyme, bay leaves, and a little chile flake. Season with salt and pepper. Then in went the squid and it braised in a low oven (275F) for about 50 minutes. Came out very tender and was delightful over potatoes!

25 Likes

I love long-cooked squid. Maybe more than quick-sauteed squid.

3 Likes

Prime ribeye on the grill. Leftover lemony Greek rice. Salad greens in vinaigrette.

24 Likes

That’s my style. Low effort, hopefully high return.

3 Likes

My first dungie of the season. Crab melt, gruyere on sourdough. French fries, cabbage slaw, carrot, snap peas, pickled daikon, green curry paste dressing.

24 Likes

Caught the BF’s terrible cold - mild for me so far, though he was really sick for 2 days, but he says he feels better now. (Both of us tested negative for Covid.) Of course, I still have an appetite, so I sauteed a bunch of garlic and broccoli rabe until tender, served it over toasted rye with a scrambled egg and a slice of provolone. It won’t fool anybody, but it was a delicious veggie take on the Italian pork sandwich.

27 Likes

I’m curious about the dressing. Is that the same type of curry paste one usually uses in Thai curries? (I usually use the Maesri brand if that means anything to you. ) Can you share the recipe or paraphrase? I like Asian style slaws.

4 Likes