What's For Dinner #102 - the Out With the Old Edition - January 2024

Simple and hot is often great. My wife has a bad cold and when I was planning something stupendously stupid (I am known for stupendously stupid), she said…

• you remember those chicken pot pies we took from Mom’s freezer? That’s what I want.

So that’s what we had. Just a “simple hot meal” like you said. Although yours took a lot more technique than mine tonight.

:slight_smile:

8 Likes

Its raining here . Its a good night for Frittata .Cheers.

19 Likes

Well, any night, raining or otherwise is always a good night for frittata!

3 Likes

Low effort dinner - oven roasted vegetables with sausages. Potatoes, carrots, onions and cherry tomatoes are roasted in the oven with thyme, aceto balsamico, honey and oil. Sausage are briefly seared in a pan before added to the vegetables for the second half of the 40 minutes of roasting.

18 Likes

Lengua tacos

17 Likes

I’ve posted the new February thread here:

7 Likes

Me, too. Sadly, my gift subscription to NYT wasn’t renewed this year, and I realized I so rarely cook recipes from NYT Cooking (for some reason they don’t have a great track record here). But I am always curious to see what others here are cooking and the recipe!

1 Like

That all looks amazing! However, I must know more about the blue cheese stovetop popcorn. Is it just popcorn tossed with blue cheese or is there a sprinkle of some sort involved?

2 Likes

Thanks for the explanation. I miss Ethiopian food :sob:

1 Like

Thank you!

As someone who occasionally splurges on PremiumPlus for transatlantic flights I’m fascinated by the concept of ‘not being able to sleep’ in First Class – but the highest class I’ve ever flown was “only” business (the very occasional upgrade).

The food in cattle class is generally so awful that we grab a bite at EWR, then split a pill and wake up about an hour before landing. That makes arrival at some godawful hour much more bearable, though it doesn’t cut down much on the actual jet-lag.

As for airport food in Germany, I’ve noticed an abundance of bakeries at most of them, and fewer chains than stateside. But that’s most of the country, not just the airports .

And really, nothing beats German bread, cheese & wurst. Not that I’m biased or anything :wink:

3 Likes

One of the care packages I received from dear friends last year while dealing with shit life threw my way was a selection of Rogue Creamery blue cheeses, which also included their Blue Heaven Blue Cheese Powder.

Since my PIC is a purist when it comes to popcorn (salt only plz :roll_eyes:), I only lightly sprinkled some of it on top. It’s very good :slight_smile:

1 Like

I gladly share my gift links every month, tho sometimes I end up running out, as I did in this thread where I blew my entire load.

I have to share more wisely in the future, and keep in mind that February has an extra day this year :slight_smile:

1 Like

I also have an NYT subscription and almost never use my gift links. Let me know if there isever something you want to post but can’t. I’d be more than happy to help out.

3 Likes

Aw, thank you, what a kind offer! I’ll keep that in mind if I run out of links, given how popular NYT recipes are here & in my other food groups. :pray:

2 Likes

Even in those nice cozy wrap-around bunk type things (only twice, when flying from US to Japan and Malaysia), I can’t sleep on the plane. I’ve never been able to sleep on any sort of conveyance, plane/train/car. But at least once I started that fasting trick, I could sleep pretty well at the proper night time there after arrival.

And other sausages/sliced charcuterie as well. Hotel breakfast buffets could cost me 1500 KCal and then I’d have to skip lunch…

2 Likes

Neither could I until I discovered the magic of half an Ambien. I’ve never had a sleeping pill that felt so close to natural sleep, with zero grogginess the next day.

German hotel breakfast buffets are legendary. Never seen anything even remotely close elsewhere.

2 Likes

I’ve found with their recipes that it really helps to hit that “Community notes” link and skim advice from prior users, and incorporate any that seem to make sense. And skip past all those that are angrily decrying how the recipe “isn’t authentic”.

I modified a shrimp jambalaya recipe that I found on NYT Cooking that said it was “based on” Paul Prudhomme’s. Lots of livid commenters about how “Paul would never have done it like that”. But also a lot of tips on improving it.

7 Likes

I feel you, especially given the DC background. One year in SD with no chinese food worth the moniker was more than I could bear!

Oddly, I rarely cook Ethiopian food at home even though I love it (and it’s not a stretch from indian). Maybe COTM will get me going!

1 Like

When I visited Turkey, we had to skip lunch (or delay it and turn it into a snack) almost every single day because the breakfast buffets were absolutely insane (especially for more often than not being included in the room rate)!

I had never seen that kind of spread (range and quality both) anywhere in the US or Europe and I’ve spent a lot of nights in hotels for work :joy:.

Maybe the legendary Sunday brunch at the Ritz in Philly would be in play as a contender, but there’s a hefty price tag on that, so not apples to apples. It reminded me of Asia, which is on another level. Buffets are almost sport there — one can never actually make even a tiny dentin addressing what’s on offer :joy::rofl:

3 Likes