What's for Dinner #101 - the Holidaypalooza Edition! - December 2023

Meat loaf 2.0, mushroom /meatloaf juice gravy, whipped cauliflower with sour cream, green onions, butter pond. Spinach, onion, mushroom salad, creamy Greek dressing. H₂O.

23 Likes

Meatloaf here, as well… Mashed Potatoes and peas were the sides.

23 Likes

No photos, but we have a trifecta! Meatloaf, mashed potatoes, mushroom gravy with asparagus here tonight!!

16 Likes

Hitting the family faves here. Good food day.

Last night: Mac & cheese (with roasted cauliflower), Cauliflower cheese, Kababs and naan from the house favorite supplier (forgot kabab pic).

Earlier: Puris & accompaniments (potato bhaji, chhole / chickpeas, shrikhand / sweet yogurt, aamras / mango pulp, assorted pickles & pickle spice).

26 Likes

A friend is here for a couple days .Brought Kirkland beef and sausage lasagne . As seen . Also , Diamond crystal kohsher salt , peppercorns, and olive oil .Merry Christmas. Cheers.

26 Likes

Exactly! And even with the breast being overdone, it turned out moist, not dry at all so I’m not complaining. My father used to make it better than I do, really sticky glaze and it was juicy and crispy, all the things duck should be basically.

3 Likes

Pizza dough from TJ’s is one of my favorite shortcuts. Recently it’s been in my rotation more. I’d forgotten how much more likely I am to make pizza at home rather than get takeout if we have their dough around.

6 Likes

No photos but giant stuffed baked potatoes tonight.

Spiced chicken with pearl couscous soup from Dinner in One last night. I discovered it during COTM and my family asks for it every week.

Pasta with Marcella’s red sauce the night before that.

10 Likes

Tonight I’m making Carmine’s pasta pomodoro. I have proscuitto to use up and pasta with a red sauce seems like it will hit the spot tonight.

7 Likes

I wish I had easier access to a Trader Joe’s. The nearest to us in Hyannis is an hour round trip on the best of days. I only go to Hyannis when I have a medical appointment at the hospital. Fortunately, those are few and far between now. I have a summer neighbor who lives in Brookline and can literally walk to TJ’s from her house. She always asks me if I want anything when she comes out to the Cape.

6 Likes

I had about 1/4 c. of shredded lamb and 1/2 c. consumme left after Tuesday’s birria, so I bought some king oyster mushrooms to saute with the lamb to flavor it. Then I added the consumme and cooked it down with the lamb and mushrooms to a glaze. The end result was lamb and mushroom quesadillas with a tomato and radish salsa. The mushrooms really absorbed the flavors well, so I was really pleased at the end result!

25 Likes

I put the last of the hot dog onions and some of the giardiniera I made to use with pork tenderloin that I cut into medallions. Made a pan sauce with a quick pork stock and white wine and served with leftover rice.

20 Likes

That happened to my partner one year. He’d carefully chosen a Mr Man mug and was dreading what he’d get in return. He was so relieved to draw his own name, and also kept quiet. We still have the mug.

3 Likes

We had a clean-out-the-vegetable-drawer stir fry with a package of chicken tenders from the freezer. Used up a knob of ginger and some sprouting garlic cloves. Dried red chilies, chicken broth, soy sauce, hoisin and sesame oil. Brown basmati rice. A tad too spicy for moi but that’s what I get for ad libbing.

23 Likes

Spaghetti carbonara

And an Earl Grey marteani for dessert using the leftover egg white

24 Likes

Beef enchilada from the freezer, sharp cheddar and sour cream, doctored black beans from a can (onion, garlic, diced tomato, chipotle pepper, cumin), avocado. Agua.

23 Likes

Cauliflower “Couscous” with Vegetables - Coarsely grated cauliflower sautéed with leeks, baby spinach, green peppers and cranberries. At the end mixed with sauce made from Greek yoghurt, mustard, garlic, dill and cumin.

13 Likes

Sunshine went over to one of her girlfriend’s for dinner tonight (Holiday Girl Night). When she got home I asked her what the friend served for dinner and was told “soup and salad”. I know my girlfriend and I knew that wouldn’t cut it. Sure enough, about 9:30 she came to me and was hungry. So I microwaved some precooked meatballs and made two mini meatball subs for her. I didn’t have any sub rolls in stock, so hot dog buns were substituted. I lightly toasted them with some provolone cheese.

24 Likes

Oh I wish I could eat something like that at night!

3 Likes

Eating this late won’t affect Sunshine in the least. About 11:00, she’ll crawl into bed and sleep like a log.

3 Likes