What's for Dinner #101 - the Holidaypalooza Edition! - December 2023

Dogs + chocolate = a bad situation!

3 Likes

He got into the last of them on Saturday night, and doesn’t seem to be suffering any ill effects. Thank goodness!. He is our 5th Aussie, and the most difficult dog we’ve ever lived with. The breeder described him as “a very confident puppy”. That’s an understatement. I’d describe him as a giant PITA.
Xander in Sean's truck

22 Likes

He’s so cute.

5 Likes

Your martini looks just like the way they serve jenever in Amsterdam.
Happy New Year everyone!

4 Likes

Is that a Swiss highway sticker on the windshield?

1 Like

Good morning, WFDers! Our new thread is here:

7 Likes

Aw, thanks! Figured I should serve the kids something other than buttered noodles (again).:joy:

2 Likes

That’s no good - on all counts!

One of the benefits of having a gun dog is the two times a year when they can be let out to relieve themselves and are unfazed by the gunfire and fireworks,

24 Likes

What a sweetie :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Bit of a blowout meal to end the year. Oysters, snow crab legs, caviar, cheese & crackers & fruit, celery and red pepper pesto dip. Happy new year, all!

30 Likes

That face is irresistible!

3 Likes

Fabulous celebration. Cheers!

1 Like

Yes - from 2008! We bought that MINI when we lived in The Netherlands. We did a lot of touring in it - a great little road car and is still going strong.

3 Likes

We rang out 2023 with beef braised in red wine. Served with Yukon Gold mashed potatoes (not pictured).

About 30 minutes from the end of cooking, I fortified the braise with as many vegetables as the pot would hold: rainbow carrots, sautéed mushrooms, and frozen pearl onions. All that veg really made the sauce.

Best of all—leftovers!

25 Likes

Reflecting on the last year yesterday didn’t put me in a celebratory mood, nor did I feel much like performing for our annual First Night gig… but sometimes ya simply gotta put on yer big girl pants and suck it up. Everything went over well, and we had a great & appreciative crowd :blush:

Watched Bad Santa (as we didn’t for our xmas tradition) before we went to a party a couple of friends hosted. We’d shared a bowl of pork chile verde for our drinking base, as last year’s party favors consisted mainly of cheese and crackers.

This year, the host pulled out all the stops: yes, cheese & crackers & charcuterie, but also bacon-wrapped water chestnuts, lovely braised pork, chicken karaage, and shrimp. Nobody touched the crudités I mean veggie tray, as usual. Oh, and a German friend of ours made her traditional NYE oliebollen my PIC is obsessed with, looks forward to every NYE., and which he ended up taking home. ALL of them :scream:

Despite my initial reservations, I had a really good time – we danced, we drank, we laughed. We got home around 2:30am.

And now we are entering “no food” January, which should make for some interesting WFD posts coming up :smile:

Happy New Year to y’all… or at least happier than the last. A girl can dream.

25 Likes

We are transitioning. The black-eyed peas and cornbread (with cheese and jalapeños and with bacon fat to grease the cast iron muffin pan. Tonight is vegetarian potstickers.

16 Likes

Mine is an '08 too! Still love it.

2 Likes

Had a 2003 (Mini, Sr.) and now we have a 2013 (Mini, Jr.). We’re a 1-car family and prefer bicycling/public transportation. Road trips can sometimes approach clown car territory. :grin:

3 Likes

Big droolz here. Invite me next year :sweat_smile:

1 Like